Won't boot with 1541 connected but turned off

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi, I'm not sure if this is typical behavior or not but I have the chameleon cartridge connected to my C64. if I try to turn the c64 on without turning on the 1541 drive that is connected then it won't boot. I turn the 1541 on and then I can boot the c64. If I then turn off the 1541 while it is booted, then it crashes. This doesn't happen if I have a pi1541 connected but turned off. I'm using an ntsc 205407 board with 6567r8 Vic, 6581 Sid, and 6526 CIA chips. All the other chips are new as this is a replica board. However I was able to also produce the same results with another 205407 ntsc board that uses the same CIA and Sid chips, with a 656756a Vic

• First of all, its not a good Idea to have non powered devices on the bus, this will cause problems in one way or another.

That said, what you describe sounds like either a problem with one of the power supplies in your setup, or that 1541 - do you have another drive to test with perhaps?

• Thanks for the info regarding non powered iec devices on the bus. I wasn't actually aware of that. I do have another drive to test with. I'll do that now. I'm using a modern power supply for the c64 so it should be fine but I don't have another one to test with

I'm using a modern power supply for the c64

That might be the problem actually :) Is the same PSU used for the drive? If you can, use the original (and seperate) PSUs

• So I finally got around to trying it with my other 1541 and it was the same result. The c64 and 1541 are powered by seperate supplies. It's not really an issue now that I'm aware I shouldn't leave the drive connected. Thanks for your help.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.