Aca1230 boot issue

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I have an ACA1230 28Mhz and am encountering an issue I cannot seem to isolate: upon cold start, I get a corrupted screen and multiple guru meditations. After about 10 minutes leaving it powered (with the occassional crash/garbled screen), everything seems to be OK again and the Amiga works as normal. If I remove the ACA it seems to appear less, but is not completely gone. Ofcourse I took some steps to isolate/fix:

* recapped the Amiga in the whole power section (7 SMT, 2 through hole caps) and the floppy section (replacing the SMT caps), I left the two through hole caps near the CVBS out and the parallel port, plus the two SMT caps near the audio port (I did not figure they would matter in this issue)

* replaced the PSU with one from Electroware Poland

Both to no avail: is it the ACA1230 or shouldn't I have been lazy in recapping ;)

Your input is appreciated !

Sander R

• Please try with the original PSU

I did, it was the exact same issue with that "brick" after 10 minutes warm up things work flawlessly, but before that : mayhem... All steps I took to resolve the issue were done after first using the original PSU and before recapping. PS it is a Rev 2B A1200 board. Thanks !

• The Electroware PSU is known-bad, so please do not continue to use it. Instead, send it back and ask for a refund. You've been fooled by false advertising. Just putting a connector on a PSU chassis does not make it suitable for an expanded Amiga. THe setup violates three out of three key requirements of the original Commodore spec.

The ACA1230 requires you to perform the mods described in the Wiki: Removal of caps E123C and E125C from the bottom side of the A1200 main board. I have made an upgrade to the CPLD code a while back that reduces the effects of these caps, but you still need to remove them. I don't think it's worth sending the card for the upgrade, as you need to do the mod anyway, and most A1200 boards work fine with the ACA1230 after the mod.

• Hi Jens,

thanks for the info on the PSU. Actually, I sent my A1200 to you back when I was working with Peter/Chameleon still (gave to Peter who took it to Germany), and the caps were removed by me around then I think - there was another issue with the ACA back then (forgot which, shielding plate?).

Unfortunately, the caps were removed badly (I cut them back in 2011) and upon trying to rework it last weekend, the Amiga doesn't boot at all anymore (black screen, keyboard caps lock reacts but very slowly, green power led dim, hdd led full on, only 1 single click from df0), must have killed a trace whilst cleaning the E123C pad which seemed smudgy from the "fix" :( Any tips are welcome, but this seems beyond an ACA related issue. Thanks !

• Could be anything - so yes, get the Amiga to work first. Let's hope that the PSU didn't cause damage, as that can be *really* tedious to find.

Too bad the computer wasn't here "officially", as we'd have records about what was done to it. Only thing I could check is dates: If you remember when exactly this was, I can see if the back-port of the timing upgrades already existed back then.

• If I remember that "lug 1200 to germany" event correctly. Jens did an CPLD upgrade on the accelerator that was already available, but not applied to that specific card (old stock). We didn't change anything on the 1200 itself. Initially the problem looked interesting, but once it was discovered the card didn't have the latest update, it became a standard fix. And I just took everything back the next Monday in working condition. That must have been years ago though.

• Hey Peter :) Good seeing you here, indeed long time ago.In the meantime I will just explore the Chameleon a bit further ;)

Thanks,

Sander

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.

• :)
    • :(
    • ;)
    • :P
    • ^^
    • :D
    • ;(
    • X(
    • :*
    • :|
    • 8o
    • =O
    • <X
    • ||
    • :/
    • :S
    • X/
    • 8)
    • ?(
    • :huh:
    • :rolleyes:
    • :love:
    • 8|
    • :cursing:
    • :thumbdown:
    • :thumbup:
    • :sleeping:
    • :whistling:
    • :evil:
    • :saint:
    • <3
    Marks thread as resolved after post creation.