ACA500Plus - internal FDD not detected when DF1 "bootselect" is set

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello!

I noticed recently, that when I set DF0 to "enabled" and DF1 to "bootselect" (global setting is "-"), Workbench doesn't see the internal drive at all (only the now bootable external drive). When both are set to "enabled", both are visible normally. With the "DF0 enabled, DF1 bootselect" settings, I would expect it to see the internal drive too (as DF1) and I'm quite convinced it used to work like that before some ACA500Plus menu updates.

Am I delusional and this is the expected behaviour? Or is this a bug?

I'm using the ACA500Plus together with ACA1234 if it makes any difference.

• This is expected behaviour, and every boot selector has always worked that way ever since hardware-based boot selectors have been invented back in the 1980s.

Reason is that the internal drive does not have any detection electronics. The OS always assumes that df0: is there.

It never was a problem - in fact, it was a welcome feature back in the days, as titles that only boot from a disk often requried all expansions to be switched off, including additional drives, because these use about 20k of memory for buffers.

When I implemented the boot selector feature in the hardware of the ACA500plus, we briefly discussed adding a software method to re-add the internal drive as df1:, but to be honest, I can't remember if we ever followed up on that. Chances are that we decided "it's always been that way, so why change it?". After all, the ACA500plus [in cloaking mode] aims to bring back the original feeling of the A500 as precisely as possible.

• Ah, ok, I just thought that at one point (many ACA500Plus menu versions ago) I ran X-Copy from DF1 reconfigured as DF0 and it saw my internal drive as DF1 on its own allowing for direct disk-to-disk copying. But it appears that my memory is playing tricks on me. I can still force it by clicking "enable all drives", so it's not a big issue.

Thanks for the answer!

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.