SDBox + AGA Mk3 Screen Flicker

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Has anyone else experienced the following issue?

I have an Indi AGA Mk3 - works like a charm and I've had no issues with it for the past year. Recently got an SDBox device (from Amigastore.eu) which also works great.

However there's a strange interaction between the two whenever I read/write from/to an SD card - my screen kind of flickers. It's hard to describe exactly what it does but text/icons on the screen sort of become fuzzy and crawl around a bit. The moment drive access stops so does the flicker. I have the SDBox powered via an external 5v mini USB cable plugged into it's own wall charger so it's not like it's drawing more power from my A1200.

I have tried ticking some of the advanced options in the Indi Prefs to see if they'd have any effect but alas not. Would be nice to figure out a solution as it's pretty annoying.

Thanks.

• We've had the same report in the German part of this forum. Couldn't solve it without having the hardware here. I refuse to buy one from Amigastore, as they keep offering known-bad power supplies.

We have to stay with the assumptions I have already written in the German part: I believe that these drivers hit one of the strobe registers (likely the HStrobe), causing the "wiggle" you describe. Without further investigation, it comes down to "bad drivers". Have them fix it.

• Clearer now, yes. It's not the HStrobe register, but the VStrobe register that they're hitting.

I have to assume plain bad programming, not malicious intent. Again, have them fix it. No program should ever hit the strobe registers.

• I know you've stated that it's bad programming but I thought it would be helpful to post a bit more info that I discovered with more testing:

The issue only happens when using interlaced HIGHGFX screenmodes. Standard amiga screenmodes, even interlaced ones are free from this issue. Likewise standard non-interlaced HIGHGFX screenmodes are fine too.

I use 'HIGHGFX Super-High Res Laced' so experience the issue all the time.

• OK, this might mean that the device driver isn't bad because it hits a chip register, but it's bad because it stops IRQs for long enough to affect system software like a monitor driver. Chances are that the same driver with an A2024 monitor type will also fail. Too bad that so few people actually have an A2024.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.