Buffered CompactFlash interface issue

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello Everyone,

I installed my new Buffered CompactFlash interface on my A1200 motherboard today and ran into a small problem. As you can see from the attached photos, the top of one of the capacitors adjacent to the interface on the A1200 motherboard gets in the way of the new CF interface. None the less, the interface fits easily and completely onto the IDE header pins, and as far as I can tell it seems to be working fine. It's just not sitting exactly parallel to the motherboard as it should.

My instinct is to leave it alone but I want to make sure here that it won't cause problems later on.

Thank you,

Steve

• This looks like the person who has re-capped this board was a bit floppy with the component alignment. Just bend it aside, and you'll be good.

Hi, Jens,

Yes, I just had the board recapped (along with fixing some corroded traces, etc...)

The problem is that the capacitor won't bend away from the CF interface PCB because the pins under the capacitor define a line that is perpendicular to the edge of the PCB, so it can't bend in that direction.

That being the case, if the interface functions properly, is there any harm in leaving it alone as it is? Or do I need to remove and resolve that capacitor?

Thank you,

Steve

• If it works, you might as well leave it, but it just doesn't look nice - and you may not have the reliability that you would have if it's pushed all the way down.

I don't think it will be too hard to push the cap aside - only takes the "inner" contact to come out maybe 1mm, where the board is 1.6mm thick. Just heat the pin, bend the cap to it's upright position and have the better feeling of having it done the right way :-)

• Thank you. As for the IDE header, the interface IS pushed all the way down, The interface PCB is just not sitting perfectly parallel to the motherboard. I'll try to GENTLY bend the capacitor away from the interface. Wish me luck. ;-)

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.