Buddha Flash - Large HDD

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I've got a Buddha Flash in an A2000. Besides the Buddha, the A2000 contains at the moment a GVP Combo card with 16MB fastram, kick 3.2 + AOS3.2 on a CF card in a SCSI card reader. As I've got some SATA laptop drives, I've bought a generic converter to connect it to the Buddha. This worked out of the box like a charm, but only 128GB out of 320GB of the drive was seen in HDToolbox. I asked for advice on the English Amiga Board, and it was suggested that in a ROM update LBA48 support had been added. I've flashed my Buddha and my hdd went missing. I firsted checked scsi.device but later I realised I should check buddhascsi.device, but neither showed any sign of my hdd. I also tried a regular 40GB PATA disk to rule out the PATA/SATA converter, but that didn't help either.

For now I've reflashed the rom that was supplied with the flash program, and I can see my hdd again.

Have I missed something or is there anything I can check or try? Or is my Buddha simply too old for a large HDD?

• As I've got some SATA laptop drives, I've bought a generic converter to connect it to the Buddha.

I have yet to find a SATA<->IDE adapter that implements the full commandset without errors.

For now I've reflashed the rom that was supplied with the flash program, and I can see my hdd again.

If that's working, then the new ROM should also work. However, you need to use the old flash tool with the new binary. Also, please make sure that the Buddha is really a Buddha - if it's a Catweasel Z-II S-Class (the black one with three IDE ports), it has a different product ID, which (if I remember right) is not supported by the latest Buddha ROM - simply because we don' t have a test-unit left.

• I have yet to find a SATA<->IDE adapter that implements the full commandset without errors.

I understand your point, but the regular 40GB PATA hdd didn't show up either when Buddha_ROM_52-101 was flashed. When I used the buddha.rom from the Bflash.lha archive, both the 40GB PATA hdd and the laptop hdd were visible again in HDToolbox.

buddhascsi.device is the correct device name when using Buddha_ROM_52-101?

If that's working, then the new ROM should also work. However, you need to use the old flash tool with the new binary. Also, please make sure that the Buddha is really a Buddha - if it's a Catweasel Z-II S-Class (the black one with three IDE ports), it has a different product ID, which (if I remember right) is not supported by the latest Buddha ROM - simply because we don' t have a test-unit left.

I've used flashBUDDHA from the Bflash.lha archive with the Buddha_ROM_52-101.bin file from the Buddha_52-101.lha archive. Could you confirm that it should be the right way?

The card is really a Buddha flash. It's a small black card with two IDE ports and the pcb contains the name 'buddha flash'. It's probably one of the older cards, as it doesn't have the golden edge connector.

• I've used flashBUDDHA from the Bflash.lha archive with the Buddha_ROM_52-101.bin file from the Buddha_52-101.lha archive. Could you confirm that it should be the right way?

That sounds correct for flashing.

The card is really a Buddha flash. It's a small black card with two IDE ports and the pcb contains the name 'buddha flash'. It's probably one of the older cards, as it doesn't have the golden edge connector.

That may mean that it's running really slow on IDE timing. The older Buddha cards had a register for setting the IDE access speed, and that defaults to "the slowest" on a reset. To be honest, I don't know if this register is set by the new ROM, but you could try writing $07 to board offset +$007e with a monitor program, then attempt running hdtoolbox with buddhascsi.device. The mere fact that buddhascsi.device is in the system means that "something" has been found, because otherwise the ROM would decide not to load the driver to save some RAM.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.