Will the big ram upgrade create any DMA trouble with SCSI cards?

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I think we all (in this retro Amiga community) ask ourselves 'Why'? The answers are never straightforward, nor identical, between different people and the machines/expansions they have.

Former GVP Tech Support 1989-93, GuruROM Maker/Supporter (as personal time allows)

• On any given day, in a stock 68K system (24-bit), the DMA controllers will out-perform the CPU-driven I/O cards (SCSI or IDE). The HC8, with it's interleaved CPU/DMA 14MHz on-card memory will be the best multitasker, leaving the CPU free to run while DMA happens for I/O. Both controllers can, with Sync SCSI and a willing device, effectively saturate the Z2 bus, and the CPU-driven interfaces cannot, in terms of I/O speeds. For the record, in a best-case speed race for only I/O and no care for how much the CPU can't run, the A2091 is a hair better than the HC8 in this classic system configuration. It's 33C93A-DMAC buffer runs more optimally than the 33C93A-DPRC's does. The 33C93A technically DMA's into the receiving port on those DMA controller chips, and the 16-bit DMA transfer happens to/from the memory destination.

Move these two DMA cards up to the accelerator-driven systems with both DMA-capable Z2 AutoConfig 32-bit RAM and non-DMA-capable high RAM, and you incur all of the CPU-lockout benefits and issues inherent with Z2 bus masters plus the need to copy-up that data at times to the upper address ranges. Halving the Z2 bus performance-wise is where your I/O speed limit comes from as the data has to move twice. The argument for moving onto CPU-driven I/O gains good traction since the CPU has to be involved anyway. The 32-bit memory performance, if good and the Instruction cache is running the copy-up code, can get some good numbers off the Z2 bus (for IDE). This is where the Buddha has a suitable place in the field. There's still the 3.4-3.5MB/sec speed limit in Z2, though, and one can't hit all of the optimal access windows all the time. Sync-clocked CPU-slot cards will of course do better in that, but they are rare in the A2000 (A2620 being one, old RONIN 030 cards being another). In an odd case, the DPRC 16-bit FastRAM (when none is low-mapped on the 32-bit accessible accelerator cards - n/a to this A2630 memory configuration) doesn't do the CPU-block due to DMA, but the CPU copy loop is still tapping the slower 7MHz 16-bit RAM for DMA buffering. It's just a bit more CPU, and therefore multitasking-friendly.

Then we get into the A2000 accelerator combos with the onboard SCSI (or IDE) and DMA options. The GVP 030/040 cards with DPRC on them are admittedly more like the A2091 without the nice interleaved memory access design, but they pull 2-3MB/sec in optimal cases, and there's a hack on the GF040 in a special case where I've seen over 4.5MB/sec. Move up to the mid-1990's 040/060 class accelerators with the 53C7xx SCSI/DMA chips on them, and you are back again in favor of the DMA cards, in both I/O performance and CPU-friendly multitasking. The Blizzard and TekMagic cards are among this group, and are lightning-fast in both CPU power and I/O. I've actually been working on an A2000 system with the Buddha and the Blizzard 060 (to copy off data as I look to upgrade it from 3.1 w/some 3.5/3.9-era additions to 3.2.1 ROM/Workbench), and it's no slouch in I/O with that kind of CPU power. It's just not the most optimal. The buddha is mine in this equation, and so is just a temporary backup point, but if the guy didn't have tape, removable media, and several drives in an external tower, the Buddha might be a modern answer, too.

I left out the 68000-680x0 accelerators now showing up with IDE interfaces on them (and RAM), but must acknowledge them. They still use the CPU to effect transfers. My brother wrote back in he early 1990's, and I updated with a partner more recently, the RSCP benchmark. It helps show what impact I/O activity (DMA or CPU-driven transfers) can have on multitasking performance (CPU free time) when a system is 'under load'.

The answers, as I noted, are never straightforward ;-)

Former GVP Tech Support 1989-93, GuruROM Maker/Supporter (as personal time allows)

• hey there, sorry for the silence, i thought i had sent a reply but apparently it didn't go through.. so i wanted to take a serious plunge into this today and it's time for questions!

1. I figured it would be better to just not bother with the various SCSI HDDs laying around and go right to my end goal.. I have a SCSI2SD v5.2 with a 4gb SD card in it. the sd card is some Fat PC variant, but you can see it's current configuration based on the SCSI2SD utility. I just one one big 4gb partition to keep things simple for now. I don't see any reason to break up multiple partitions at this time.

2. I figured I'd start with the preferable GVP card to learn on. it has no ram on it. so I just want to be sure those jumpers are set correctly.

3. in a perfect world i'd like the internal SCSI2SD work with the option to attach a zip drive and SCSI CDROM. I know these work because I have them currently plugged into a sampler, but the CDROM would do better with the Amiga. I'd make it internal but I need the bay for my personal animation recorder IDE HDD that doesn't mount on the PAR card..

Right now the amiga 2000 is a bare bones 1mb rev 6 with no other cards attached. it's just the chip ram and GVP card. i wanted to keep it as basic as possible. I have a 3.5" floppy and a working Gotek in DF0:

Thanks!

Caleb

• lol :) ok yea that's probably better as i'm there more than here, but I am definitely going to make a video on this process and just lay it out for anyone who's completely new or (like me) rusty-new to doing this process.

It's really not "hard" to do any of this or even time consuming.. but the steps are not intuitive and that's all that needs to be laid out.

I am using a real scsi hdd right now because i don't have the right power connector to get power from card to scsi2sd.. hoping a local place has them.. we have a microcenter as well which almost certainly will have it in Cambridge.. but that's a little bit more out of the way..

• My current interest sale thread for the GuruROM is on Aminet.

I sent you a message on amibay about the guru rom..

i've been working hard over the last week or two getting scsi worked out. i've learned a lot, but currently trying to get a scsi2sd to show up properly. i'm suspecting that the gururom will improve drive compatibility.. i feel like a number of the drives i try to use (all came from amigas) seem to be unable to recognize the size of the various 1989-1990 quantum drives.. one after a bit of fiddling seemed to work but only seemed to have 20mb of space.. but i'm pretty sure in 1989-1990 they were making larger drives than 20mb!

I'm working to get scsi in the bag before i start bringing in the accelerator + big ram..

• thebajaguy who are you on fb? I never made that specific connection. a few different folks have been helping with these scsi issues. I'm eager to see if a gururom might help my gvp scsi2sd issues (more error 45 stuff, which makes me wonder if it's the card not the drives)

• I'm Robert Miranda on FB. I did see the note about the interest on Amibay, too. I'm currently traveling for work, so kind of limited in my Amiga side efforts.

As far as the GuruROM, there's nothing in it that is different than the FastROM v4.x series driver when it comes to the GVP series II cards operating in Async SCSI mode. The bump to Sync SCSI will help performance if other optimal system factors (described in the Amibay thread) are present. It does help address the known 24-bit->32-bit memory transfer limitations in the C= A2091/A590 scsi.device driver, and it's iffy reselection handling (multi-device situations) to equal the GVP. Beyond that, if there are instability issues present on the SCSI bus, pushing communications speeds to Sync SCSI will trip over them even quicker.

With the CPU copy-up necessary for the high memory on the accelerator, I caution expecting any notable performance improvement with Sync SCSI. Async SCSI at it's best pushes 2.2-2.3MB/sec to it's DMA-capable buffer, but the copy-up effort will generally knock that overall performance down to ~1.5-1.7MB/sec at best (about 1/2 Zorro II bus speed).

• OK gotcha. I'm not going to worry about the 2091 honestly. it's about to go to a good home and has a working internally mounted drive with termination. the owner can upgrade it later if he needs too. as it stands it works with a zip drive and internal drive.. i ordered several 25pin termination plug to be extra sure that termination is solid on both ends..

I just keep running into this error 45 with both old and now new (SCSI2SD v5.2) drives.. I don't get what step i am missing. It seems like the SCSI card keeps saying these dives can't be read. it's unable to tell how many sectors they have. one drive did end up working but only showing 20mb of space.. and i am almost completely sure that they were not making 20mb SCSI HDDs in 1989-1990 which are the dates stamped on the drives in question.

In fast prep it almost seems like maybe if i could punch in the numbers it can't extract from the drive, maybe then it would work?

Also, now that I know my GVP cards won't really benefit from a gururom, I'm going to make another video showing my step by step process of trying to condition a SCSI2SD card.. including first what i did to prepare the card on a mac using the SCSI2SD utility and hopefully someone can see what i'm doing wrong.

Save travels!

• My suggestion on the SCSI2SD is to use the erase option on ExpertPrep (or just modify the 'disk' geometry in the SCSI2SD tool) - so as to negate any saved RDB info - blank out the initial sectors. Then experiment with the speed setting and other options in the general tab of the SCSI2SD tool. I don't have any gear with me on the trip, but I had to tame the v6 series this way on the latest firmware. I haven't updated my v5's firmware in several months.

One other suggestion, on any flash-media, is to base the Amiga filesystem block size on 4K (4096) instead of the formerly native 512-bytes. I'd actually set that value in the SCSI2SD tool so the Amiga prep tool will default to that. GVP's tool doesn't have that option (yet), but HDToolBox does. This block size / sector size is a general guide for any flash media 'disk' filesystem - it reduces flash media wear.

• My suggestion on the SCSI2SD is to use the erase option on ExpertPrep (or just modify the 'disk' geometry in the SCSI2SD tool) - so as to negate any saved RDB info - blank out the initial sectors. Then experiment with the speed setting and other options in the general tab of the SCSI2SD tool. I don't have any gear with me on the trip, but I had to tame the v6 series this way on the latest firmware. I haven't updated my v5's firmware in several months.

One other suggestion, on any flash-media, is to base the Amiga filesystem block size on 4K (4096) instead of the formerly native 512-bytes. I'd actually set that value in the SCSI2SD tool so the Amiga prep tool will default to that. GVP's tool doesn't have that option (yet), but HDToolBox does. This block size / sector size is a general guide for any flash media 'disk' filesystem - it reduces flash media wear.

The only problem with setting block size to 4096 bytes is that you can’t mount it in Winuae - it appears to be hardcoded to 512 bytes. At least I couldn’t find the way…

• There are 2 ways to go about using 4K blocksize with flash media, or any media.

The first is to make the media report a blocksize of 4096 bytes. Back in the day, most disk drives always reported 512-byte sectoring. At GVP, we tinkered with some SCSI device internal pages (documented in the device's manual) to push the Quantum HD series into 1K and 2K modes for test purposes. That was how we verified the FastPrep/ExpertPrep tools could deal with different blocksizes. One interesting side note is the Bernouli removable drives used to use 256-byte sectors. It tended to hang most other Amiga controller drivers, but ours translates it (I'd have to ask Ralph Babel again what the trick was - my memory has lost the answer to time). With the SCSI2SD tool, you can tell the flash media device to report 4096 to the SCSI media query. This is assuming the 'drive' is connected via SCSI controller.

If you are using IDE Flash, you would have to go about mounting the 'media' manually with a mountlist that preserves the boot block area, but otherwise lets you write to the legitimate partition area. I don't use emulation, so my personal experience is theoretical. I am, however, drawing from the Kickstart 1.2-era when C= used Mountlists on the A2090/A2090a for FFS. You probably would have to do that geometry conversion math to keep things straight, though.

The next method is to just go into HDToolBox and make it ignore the 512-byte sectoring on the media detection read, and push in a 4096 value. It will adjust the head/sector/cylinder 'geometry' by the appropriate math to accommodate. Save it, and then go partition the media.

This blocksize setting / solution is missing from the released GVP FastPrep/ExpertPrep tools, so you can't do it with that tool. I legitimately have the source to the old GVP tools, but I haven't yet gotten it updated to the point where I'd let it out for public consumption. One thing I have yet to get working is large media (>4GB). I haven't had time to get my head around all the places that need the special math conversion (we are talking double-longword integers - add/subtract/multiply/divide, effectively). That, and also displaying it all correctly on the screen. Another thing is that the modern HDToolBox (since 3.1.4) has taken the liberty to 'expand' the space it reserves at the beginning of the 'media' for larger filesystem and partition data blobs. Back in the day, FFS was the only thing that went there. Now, it's technically possible to stuff several filesystems in the RDB that are not in the Kickstart ROM.

• hey hey i'm back! I've been blocked from maknig progress for awhile.. and i apparently don't get notifications of emails from this forum for some reason.. so i'm THIS CLOSE to getting things ready.. i just got a SCSI2SD to work with the GVP HC+ with a 1gb SanDisk.. i was using a 4gb generic SD card and it was giving me grief.. ultimately i got 512 to work, but i may check and see if i could get 4096 to work.. but some folks on the fb page were saying 4096 would be asking for trouble because nothing had that big a sector back then..

I am really wanting to keep SCSI and not use IDE.. I like zip and cdroms... my internal bay needs to be saved for a PAR HDD.. so external IDE would be a pain.. external anything IDE would be a pain..

So what would be the gain of getting 4096 to work vs 512? easier on the SD card?

Well in my case I'm using WB3.1 and no intension of using anything larger than 2gb partitions.. i'm currently working with a 1gb partition (my sandisk card is only 1gb, but i have some 4gb and 8gb sd cards on order)

I am getting things ready (might have to look up that other thread... but ultimately i'm trying to beef up the FPU in my A2630.. I bought the suggested 030 with the right mask.. and a 50mhz (i hope it's legit, it's an old fake if it is a fake, heh) 68882.. and I have the big ram installed.. and the 50mhz crystal.. so this weekend i may be trying to solder in that crystal and do some before / after benchmarking of the FPU..

I just want to test question first hand:

would a TF536 50mhz 030 without an FPU be as good as or better than a 25mhz 030 with a 50mhz FPU running in it.. with the bigram expansion. I just want to know plain and simple if one or the other would be faster.. if the TF is clearly better I'll have to learn to live without scsi.. if the A2630 works with big ram.. and faster FPU, or even 25mhz FPU.. is comparable to FPU-less TF536, i'll stick with that card..

• The only problem with setting block size to 4096 bytes is that you can’t mount it in Winuae - it appears to be hardcoded to 512 bytes. At least I couldn’t find the way…

Good to know.. I've made an image with my 1gb SD card, but yea it was 512.. didn't know 4096 wouldn't image.. that would be a bummer, but not a deal breaker.. if i can get SCSI working with it all and install things with CDROM.. maybe i'd just use the disk backup that WB has with gotek and just make a ton of floppies.. heh.. still comes back to what's the reason to use 4096? just nicer on the SD card? makes read / writes that much faster?

• and yea when i was trying 4096 and 512.. i was hitting issues like this.. but i think now it might have been the off brand 4gb sd card that caused some of my chaos.. after numerous failures when i got my 1gb sandisk to work at 512 i was DONE! but not really.. just was glad after dozens of pushes.. running downstairs... hooking up to A2000.. failing.. running up stairs.. (good workout) i was just glad to have a win and move forward on some other stuff.. and ultimately i didn't seem to need to use fastprep in the final success.. scsi2sd was seen (when prepped with scsi2sd utility) to just be seen by HDtools and get setup / configured / formatted..

• would a TF536 50mhz 030 without an FPU be as good as or better

No. Those "TFxxx" cards have the "T" for a reason: Terrible. In your case, using them in an A2000 means that you'll have all sorts of trouble using Zorro cards. The TF card is good if you don't use any Zorro cards.

running up stairs.. (good workout)

Sounds like a good thing indeed. Not enough people talking about physical fitness and the positive effects on the immune system. Prepare for the inevitable Corona infection...

• The TF card is good if you don't use any Zorro cards.

That's good to know.. I bought the TF536 before I realized scsi was going to be a problem.. i DO like it though but like you said I'm going to be using tons of cards.. i have more cards than slots at this point.. so zorro performance is critical.. I am currently working on getting an external SCSI DVD drive working with amiga so i can install the toaster software with a disk.. i installed with WinUAE but something didn't go right.. software won't load.. figured I might as well just see how an installation would go with real hardware.

Prepare for the inevitable Corona infection...

We had it run through our house once before.. everyone is vaccinated so it was little more than a mild flu, but wife and i are due for a booster..

• This is just like GuruROM v6 handles it, and GuruROM is gvpscsi's later cousin.

So I'm using the GVP card. I no longer have access to the A2091 (it's in another system that's leaving) but below you can see what i'm working with.

Set the DMA mask in mountlists/DOSDrivers or partition boot blocks for the above to it's full value 0xFFFFFFFE

I'm not sure I understand how i'd do this. Any advice?

Also I went down and pulled the two cards to get any of the vitals i could off them to make sure what hardware we're talking about, but to sum up:

- a2630 Rev 9 w/ bigram upgrade and 4mb onboard

- gvp hc+8 II w/ 0mb fast ram and SCSI2SD interal

- A2000 with WB3.1

So any advice on what settings i should set would be most appreciated. i will replace (eventually) the cpu / fpu to do my tests but right now i'm just working with the base unmodified hardware to make sure i get some proper benchmarks / baseline values before i go changing those chips.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.