aca1234 CF filesystem problem

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi all

I'd like to ask if any of you experienced (better solved!) problem that I have right now with recently bought ACA1234.

Everything seems to be fine, I can install system, I was even able once upgrade it to 3.2 and that 3.2.1. but after some time (day or two)I getting error: "DEVICE ACF1: RootBlock extension invalid" and that errors about wrong index of blocks.. It's happening both on 3.1 and 3.2.1. I've reinstalled system many times, same issue. As last resort I've partitioned drive differently not using PFS but just standard FFS, with smaller that 4GB partitions. It's seemed to be working but during installing CubicIDE I got read checksum error, so most likely it's broken too. BTW CF card is brand new 32GB

• I can only assume that there is a different factor influencing stability/integrity of the system. Please describe the whole hardware with all expansions, case, shield, even screws for the shield, and of course the power supply.

Then of course, the "brand new 32G" card may just be at fault. Is this a branded card? Where did you buy it?

• You may be right about the card, that next thing I plan to exclude from the picture(Card look like kingston , but there is no kingston logo ;-)), just bought on ebay.

I was thinking that I some settings are wrong (like maxtransfer etc) that you can suggest just from top of your head, as it's happen only to second partition, first one seem to be ok, problems with filesystem only occur on second

I'm kind of surprised with question about shields ;-). Shield is removed as I'm using your other product (Indivision mk3). Apart from that it's just standard A1200, with standard power supply, (i have other to try, like modded cisco power supply).

• just bought on ebay.

Anything "flash" larger than 4G that I have bought from eBay in the past three years was fake. Please test the card using F3 Fight Flash Fraud or a similar tool that is available for your OS (to my knowledge, none are available for Amiga yet).

I was thinking that I some settings are wrong (like maxtransfer etc) that you can suggest just from top of your head, as it's happen only to second partition, first one seem to be ok, problems with filesystem only occur on second

Errors only happening on a partition beyond a certain barrier may be an indicator for a counterfeit flash size.

Shield is removed as I'm using your other product (Indivision mk3).

Please re-read the manual: Indivision AGA MK3 should be used with the shield in place, required cut-out applied, of course. The shield has an electrical function, not just an EMI function.

Apart from that it's just standard A1200, with standard power supply, (i have other to try, like modded cisco power supply).

I have tested these modded Cisco units, and they were actually the ones most dangerous to the Amiga due to their "hiccup"-behaviour under overload conditions. See the seminar "building a better power supply for the Amiga", made for Revision 2020. All measurements are open, even here in this forum (libre office calc file), and the link to Twitch where the video is archived should also still work. However, I don't think that you have a PSU problem - the description really indicates that you may have been cheated in terms of flash size. Open an eBay case - if the seller quickly resorts to "if the card is defective..." (after putting you through the usual "can you provide a picture?"-tar pit), you have another indicator for a fraudelent seller.

• Thanks a lot, for information. Especially warning about PSU. Card is working fine on linux(tested fairly well), so it's not fake one.

• Attached you find our internal 'devicetool', which allows for a device-level test. You can invoke it with e.g.

# devicetool -d acf0: test

This will perform a read, write back, read back, and compare cycle on the first (WB) partition that our installer creates.

A stricter test mode:

# devicetool -d acf0: test -t 1

This will perform an additional write, read, compare cycle with random data.

This might help to narrow down issues to device or filesystem level. But it will take a very long time with a 32GB medium.

If this test shows an error, the next step would be to try another medium and see if it it is reproducible with that.

The test is supposed to be non-destructive on good media, but you shouldn't entrust it really important data.

• Thanks a lot. In the mean time I've bought new SAN disk card, and problems are gone, it seems that ACA don't like "Kingston like" branded (or rather faked) cards. Card is working perfectly with all of my Linux boxes. I've managed to check if it's works with my Amiga 2000 (equipped with Buddha and vampire) and both of them can't even format it, so it must be card problem. Thanks a lot for replies, it's superb to see such engagement. Kudos

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.