Stability Issues with ACA1234

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I’m having issues with system stability using the ACA1234. I suspected a power supply issue at first, so I replaced it. That certainly helped, but I’m still experiencing issues. My board was part of the batch that needed the firmware patch. Gloom SE is particularly problematic. I can’t get it to go in game. I’ve tried other high demand games like ZDoom. It runs most of the time. Sometimes though the system will freeze when I’m just trying to open a drawer.

• I should start by saying I’ve got a machine originally from the UK that came with a ton of pre installed software that I’m using in the US with an OSSC and a PAL to NTSC converter. I’ve run the firmware update, but I haven’t done the JTAG CPLD update yet. I just got the cable in the mail yesterday.

I was using a power supply from commodore4ever. It worked when I was using a stock machine with a CF card in the internal IDE.

My new supply is made by keelog. It supposed to be extremely stable and has an OLED display with the voltages for each pin. I can take a picture of the readout if that would be useful.

I’ve tried using my CF card in the internal IDE and the CF slot on the accelerator. It seems a bit more stable on the internal port, but I’m not certain.

I’m thinking of pulling a spare CF card and doing a fresh OS install to make sure there’s not some software incompatibility.

• I was using a power supply from commodore4ever. It worked when I was using a stock machine with a CF card in the internal IDE.

My new supply is made by keelog.

Both are known-bad, as they both use the same chassis by MeanWell, which is unsuitable for the Amiga. Anything can happen with these PSUs. Please read our FAQ.

It supposed to be extremely stable and has an OLED display with the voltages for each pin

Stability might be good at the source. However, the display is not showing what's *arriving* inside the computer, only what's being sent out from the PSU. Voltage drops on the cable and in the input filter, resulting in an under-powered Amiga. You should return this for false advertising. Hey, they even show you with the display that they are out of spec!

I’ve tried using my CF card in the internal IDE and the CF slot on the accelerator. It seems a bit more stable on the internal port, but I’m not certain.

I'd expect it to be the other way round, as the internal IDE is most likely not buffered. I'm aware that a buffered CF card interface does not exist for the A1200. Not yet - we're working on it.

I’m thinking of pulling a spare CF card and doing a fresh OS install to make sure there’s not some software incompatibility.

That's probably the cleanest way to make sure that you don't have a software conflict.

• So, I’m almost positive it’s a software issue. I used the tools included with the card to make a fresh install of the OS. Several issues have cleared up. Turning off the internal IDE works correctly and the machine boots almost instantly. ZDoom can run for over an hour and hasn’t crashed. AND I can run it at 40 MHz.

I guess I’ll have to carefully customize things going forward.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.