MiST VIC20 core

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I know we already have a VIC20 core for the TC64, but someone on the Facebook group specifically requested that I look at porting the VIC20 core from MiST, so I've done just that.

And since a few people have asked in the past how I go about porting cores, I've put a series of videos on my Patreon page (not paywalled) where I talk about the process.

The core can be found here: http://retroramblings.net/?page_id=1765

Have fun!

(Please note: unlike the official VIC20 core, this one makes no attempt to do any kind of video framerate conversion, so you will need a 50Hz capable monitor. It does have a scandoubler, like the other cores I've ported - and this can be toggled by holding down the menu button / key for a second or two.

• Thank you - I'll fix that! (The readme in the zip file should be correct.)

With the Mist-Vic20-Core the romfile has to be called vic20.rom, otherwise it doesn't work. I'm testing a bit right now. Can I also start the MEGACART.ROM with the Core? The game "Realms of Quest 5" also offers a .d81 file. Will it be possible to load .d81 files?

https://doublesidedgames.com/s…vic-20/realms-of-quest-v/

• With the Mist-Vic20-Core the romfile has to be called vic20.rom, otherwise it doesn't work. I'm testing a bit right now. Can I also start the MEGACART.ROM with the Core? The game "Realms of Quest 5" also offers a .d81 file. Will it be possible to load .d81 files?

https://doublesidedgames.com/s…vic-20/realms-of-quest-v/

Indeed yes - I've fixed the ROM filename typo now.

I don't know how the Megacart works, but I guess there'll be some kind of bank mapping hardware in cartridge, which isn't replicated in the core - so for now the answer's "no" - but for the future.... maybe?

Likewise with .d81 support - no promises, but there's plenty of room left in the core, so again... maybe..

• Very nice that we get this new VIC20 core. I have not tried it yet. It would be very very nice if the Megacart works or is made working in the future. It's a very convenient cart that makes everything so easy. All the best games on one cart with a menu system. And no need to mess around with the memory configs to get games running.

I have the Penultimate + cartridge on my real VIC20. Without this it's a hassle to use. Penultimate is similar to Megacart, but Megacart has even more games on it. Individual computers own VIC20 test core can run Megacart.

• Indeed yes - I've fixed the ROM filename typo now.

I don't know how the Megacart works, but I guess there'll be some kind of bank mapping hardware in cartridge, which isn't replicated in the core - so for now the answer's "no" - but for the future.... maybe?

Likewise with .d81 support - no promises, but there's plenty of room left in the core, so again... maybe..

Thanks, maybe the support of swap lists fits on your maybe list, too. :-)

• https://sourceforge.net/p/vice…src/vic20/cart/megacart.c

that should be straightforward to implement... the hardest thing is probably implementing the RAM on the cartridge

The hardest thing might actually turn out to be tracking down the MegaCart ROM image!

Thanks for the reference implementation, anyway - very useful. (NVRAM in MiST cores is usually set up like a disk image, so you mount a file on the SD card which fills the NVRAM, but you have to save the updated contents back to the SD card with a menu option. I have it working in the NES core - just need to do an updated release.)

• A slightly-belated Christmas gift for Megacart fans:

Support for the Megacart ROM, and also for NVRAM files.

Have fun!

http://retroramblings.net/?page_id=1765

Hello Alastair,

I am currently testing the new VIC-20 Mist Core "VIC20_TC64v1_20211231".

First of all, I would like to thank you very much that you managed to implement the Megacart so wonderfully.

So far I haven't noticed any problems here.

Since I had to try something out myself to get "Realms of Quest 5" to work with 32 KB, I would like to give a short guide.

1. In order for the Megacart.rom to be autoloaded, it must be on the SD card in the "CHAM20" folder.

In order to start "Realms of Quest 5" from here, open the menu with F12. Here you deactivate the Megacart under the item

"Megacart" with "Megacart: Off" and then you automatically get to the standard VIC-20 screen.

2. Again in the menu activate the options " Cartridge: RAM" and "8K + RAM Cartdridge: 24K " under "Memory configuration"

and then do a reset with" Reset with cart unload ".

3. Again in the menu select the first .d64 file from "Realms of Quest 5" with "Mount Disk". Then enter the following commands:

Load "Boot", 8,1
    Run

Voila!

You did a very good job here Alastair! Thank you very much!

Cheers
    SID-6581

P.S .: It would be nice if we could save our VIC-20 settings in a config-file. D81-support for ROQ5 would be great too. ;-)

• I want to use Jiffy-DOS for the MIST-VIC-20 Core .

To do this, I have to convert my "JiffyDOS_VIC-20_6.01_NTSC.bin" file to "KERNAL.ROM" and put it in the

"cham20" folder on my SD card. I have to do the same for the 1541 floppy.

There are 2 questions for me:

1. How do I convert a bin-file to a rom-file for the VIC-20?

2. Does the file for the 1541 have to be called "DRIVE.ROM" after the conversion? On the C64-Core I have "DRIVE1.ROM" and "DRIVE2.ROM".

Cheers

SID-6581

• dont confuse this core with the vic20 core from peter - for this one you provide one binary that contains all roms:

The core requires a ROM file in the root of the SD card, called VIC20.ROM An example ROM file can be found at https://github.com/mist-devel/…s/tree/master/cores/vic20 or you can create your own by joining together ROMS found in, for example, the VICE package. The ROMs should be concatenated in the order:

• C1541 (16k)
    • Kernal PAL (8k)
    • Kernal NTSC (8k)
    • Basic (8k)
    • Char (4k)

.rom and .bin is just a naming convention, they are both plain binary files

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.