Deciding between a Turbo Chameleon V2 or a MiSTer FPGA... Please help

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

this is my first post and probably the wrong place to ask this question, but I'm willing to pull the trigger on an FPGA-system for C64 and Amiga emulation, maybe also some other systems.
    I read in the forum that the Turbo Chameleon V2 is capable of emulating a C64, but also an Amiga (Minimig).

The MiSTer FPGA can also do this and a whole lot more, yet I only really care about the C64 emulation and possibly Amiga 500.

1. is the Turbo Chameleon V2 capable of doing this or would a MiSTer FPGA Amiga Edition be better or more compatible?

2. is the Turbo Chameleon V2 a better C64-emulator than the MiSTer FPGA?

3. would it be worth waiting for a C64 Reloaded V3 board?

• 1. I believe there is no big (or at all) difference between the emulation quality of the amiga core - it's essentially the same (minimig, as you already said)

2. i like to think the Chameleon C64 core is currently the most compatible one

3. That depends on what you are waiting for - and how long are willing to wait :) C64 Reloaded will still take some time, due to the current circumstances.

• For C64 and Amiga emulation the most compelling features of the MiSTer are HDMI video (with optional upscaling and frame-rate conversion) and USB keyboard / mouse / joypad input. However, those features all make the resulting experience slightly less like "real" hardware, and more like software emulation - at which point, why not just use a PC or Pi? some of us prefer the immediacy of VGA output and PS/2 keyboard / mouse (or even a real Amiga keyboard and mouse!)

The absolute killer feature of the Turbo Chameleon 64 is the ability to plug it into a real C64 and use the keyboard and joysticks - even with the Amiga, Atari ST, Commodore 16 and VIC20 cores. Also the infra-red input for CDTV controller is nice.

On TC64 the Amiga core (and most other cores) outputs a video signal which matches the original hardware (with an optional scandoubler, but no framerate conversion) - this means that you do need a monitor which can cope with a 50Hz signal if you want to use the various cores in PAL mode. (Nearly all monitors can cope with scandoubled NTSC.)

The Chameleon's C64 core, in contrast, can (and by default, does) do frame-rate conversion.

The Chameleon's video output is quite "soft" - it's intended to give an authentic looking rendition of low-resolution systems like the C64 on a VGA monitor. It was never intended to display a 1440x900 Amiga RTG screen - so while it can in fact display that resolution, it looks much better at, say, 800x600.

(I can't comment on how good the MiSTer C64 core is, since I haven't really played with it. I did borrow its SID emulation for the C16 core, though.)

• Biased answer here (obviously), but if C64 is what you care most about, the Chameleon will be the better choice, as we keep developing this one. To my knowledge, the MiSTer C64 core is based off of Peter's C64 core for the C-One, which he published some time in 2005 or 2006, I think. So you lack 15 years of development, our menu system, cycle-accurate 1541 emulation and the CDTV remote control, which is a killer feature.

• I have both a TC64v2 and a MiSTer. The Chameleon is connected to a real C64 (with a C64 reloaded btw). I prefer the Chameleon for C64 use because it gives me more of that authentic feel because it's connected to the real deal. But I guess I could easily match that feeling by putting my Keyrah into a C64 case.

I do like the video output of the Chameleon more than the MiSTer C64 core. It's indeed softer and nicer to look at on a LCD monitor. On a CRT I don't notice much difference.

If you plan on getting a C64 reloaded at anyone time, you might be better off with a Chameleon because of the added benefits for a real C64.

For Amiga use I prefer the MiSTer, but that's more because of convenience. I don't have a PS/2 keyboard connected to the Cameleon (part of the reason is that it sits in the way of the audio jack) and I have a Amiga 1200 case with a Keyrah connected to the MiSTer. But that's only for AGA use. For most Amiga stuff I use a real Amiga 500.

Of course the MiSTer has more to offer. I like the Arcade cores and the console cores and the computer cores, especially the ao486 one.

• You are aware that the minimig AGA core for TC64/TC64V2 supports the C64 keyboard when in cartridge mode? This was implemented quite some time ago. So you can use your joystick in port 2, use the C64 keyboard and a PS2 Mouse for the Amiga core. Keyboard works for various other cores aswell. Like VIC20 and AtariST core. Makes for a very practical setup.

• You are aware that the minimig AGA core for TC64/TC64V2 supports the C64 keyboard when in cartridge mode? This was implemented quite some time ago. So you can use your joystick in port 2, use the C64 keyboard and a PS2 Mouse for the Amiga core. Keyboard works for various other cores aswell. Like VIC20 and AtariST core. Makes for a very practical setup.

Yes, I am aware. And it's a great improvement. But using a C64 keyboard for Amiga use doesn't give me the same feeling as using a real Amiga keyboard though. That said, as I have moved my MiSTer from the desk to the shelf underneath the CRT to play arcade and console games, I will probably soon be playing The Shadows of Sergoth on the Minimig core of the Chameleon. It needs 2MB ram and my Amiga 500 doesn't have that (and no, I am not interested in raising it to 2MB ATM).

I was just trying to give some insight in my usage owning both the Chameleon and the MiSTer to help decide what to get. At this moment it is a bit different I guess, because of the limited availability of the De-10 Nano.

If I had to choose between the Chameleon and the MiSTer, I would choose the Chameleon anyday!

• So I've owned my first TC64V2 since around the time the V2 was released. My second TC64V2 I probably bought one year after.

I can share my opinions. In my case I already had modern LED monitors with VGA and 5:4 aspect ratio that I originally bought because they would sync perfectly on Amigas 15KHz RGB using RGB to VGA, They happen to also work great with the TC64V2 and also all of it's other cores. So for me the TC64V2 was a natural choice because of it's VGA out.

My main focus is C64 and Amiga. And I bought the TC64V2s as an expansion/'enhancement' for my C64s to give me cycle accurate 1541 II emulation, cartridge emulation and VGA out. This was the soul purpose for me. I think this should be the main reason for buying one of these. As an expansion/enhancement to C64. I also believe that TC64 has one of the/if not the best FPGA C64 core implementations. Thanks to icomp still working on it and supporting it.

It just so happens that thanks to robinson5 we have many other cores for the TC64/TC64V2 that got ported over to it. I firmly believe that we currently probably have the best minimig core thanks to robinson5 updating it and adding features.

For me one of the really great features is the fact that the C64 keyboard and Joystick port works for several other cores when in cartridge mode. So sitting there with my TC64V2s in cartridge mode I can fire up the minimig core and just plug a PS/2 mouse into my TC64V2, have my joystick plugged into my C64 and also have the C64 keyboard work in the minimig core. And then I can easily go back to the C64 core via the minimig menu whenever I want. Then do the same thing with the Atari ST core, Vic20 or C16 cores. Of course I can use my docking station to use a real Amiga mouse, real C64/Amiga keyboard plugged into the docking station. Or just a PS/2 keyboard.

But for my use, cartridge mode is where I think my TC64V2s really shines.

At first I was quite dissapointed with the quite 'soft' image output coming from the TC64V2s VGA output. It has a bit of ghosting and a rather 'soft' image in general. I have actually changed my mind quite a bit on this subject. I find that the softer picture gives it a warm and more retro feel that fits the C64 and other cores. I especially like the colour palette they choose for PAL C64. Gives this warm fuzzy retro feeling. I especially noticed this when comparing to my TheC64 Maxi which has HDMI and is based on software emulation. It gives a very pixelated, cold and artificial picture output compared to the much warmer, less pixelated and more retro feel picture output coming from my TC64V2s.

I also love the menu system in TC64 C64 core. It's very intuitive and very fast to navigate using the keyboard or joystick. Compare this to the clunky menu system on TheC64 Maxi and you really appreciate the quality feel and sense of relief of coming back to the TC64. Not even in the same ballpark so probably not fair to compare these two products. You also have the option to use the wireless CDTV controller mentioned by others here. Personally I don't use it as I mostly do cartridge mode and I cannot stand to play games with anything else than retro joysticks. But it's another option and many people find the CDTV remote to work great for them.

I could probably write alot more but I think this is enough for now. In short, I wouldn't want to live without my TC64V2s.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.