Lyra3 in A1200 with Blizzard 1230 IV needs reset to start working

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I just received Lyra3 to replace my original Lyra (I wanted to have possibility to customize the keys) So I inserted it to my 2B A1200 motherboard, connected my Keytronic PS/2 keyboard and booted up Amiga TestKit to find out that the keyboard doesn't work.

I tried with older Keytronic PS/2 and Logitech PS/2 keyboards, but with same end results. All the leds light up briefly on startup, but then nothing. Then after reading this forum I tried to reset the A1200 from motherboard after startup and yes, the keyboard came alive and everything works everytime after reset. But with cold boot it doesn't work.

After more reading I tried to remove my Blizzard 1230 IV, and it seems to fix the problem, keyboard works right up after switching the power switch without a need to reset. I tried also two different PSUs (ATX), but the didn't provide a difference to the behaviour compared to the Amiga 500 PSU I'm using (312503-03).

So, is there something that I could do to have the Lyra3 working with Blizzard without a need for extra reset?

• This may be a software thing - Lyra3 in the A1200 is a special situation, as the original keyboard controller is still there and wants to communicate shortly after power-up. Lyra3 is awaiting that communication before it goes on the bus, as otherwise, the two keyboards would fight forever.

Looks like the B1230-IV software, which is looking for the magic key combination that de-activates it during power-up, is messing with that initial communication.

I can put this on the large list of to-dos. However, the only thing I currently know of is that the Blizzard switch-off feature is not working with Lyra (any model), as the initial "what keys are held down" command is not sent by Lyra (and can't be, as that's exactly what it needs to wait for). I haven't heard of the keyboard not working at all after a power-up.

• Yeah, switching off the Blizzard with key 2 works only after reset with my original Lyra. In fact that was the reason I originally bought it back in the days as earlier I had some other adapter that didn't allow that at all even after reset.

I started to think that maybe I can make a small circuit that would keep reset line low for very short period of time after turning on the Amiga. It seems that if I turn on the PSU with reset held and then release it right away the keyboard works.

• I started to think that maybe I can make a small circuit that would keep reset line low for very short period of time after turning on the Amiga. It seems that if I turn on the PSU with reset held and then release it right away the keyboard works.

That's an indicator that the reset circuit on your main board has turned bad. The circuit is based on the Ricoh voltage detector family of parts (not manufactured any more), and although the schematics show a capacitor C629, it is not populated on any of the A1200 PCBs that I have. So it may actually be an issue of a combination of power supply and reset generation: Most PSUs don't have a controlled up-ramp, and with C629 not populated, the keyboard MCU gets the info "power good" too soon, so it'll release reset too soon.

C629 is 330nF in the schematics, and it's located at the bottom of the A1200 board, very near the detector, but on the opposite side.- You might want to try putting that cap in and see it it prolongs the initial reset long enough for your needs.

• Thanks for the tip, I will try that next week (have to buy bigger ceramic capacitors). If that doesn't help I could try to use bigger value for the capacitor to delay the reset a bit more, am I right?

• I guess it would be better to increase the resistor value. It's 10k in the schematics (and actually assembled), but you could increase that value. However, this is not really a "clean" way of making the reset signal longer, as it only plays with the rising edge of the signal. What *should* be done is to use a voltage detector that uses a pre-defined length of "power good" signal. There are plenty of Max809-type chips out there. No need for the original Maxim or Ricoh part.

• C629 was populated in my board, but I tried to replace it anyway, without success. Behavior is still same after power up. All three leds blink and then nothing. When Blizzard is not attached numlock led is lit right after that all-leds-blink and keyboard works. I tried also to connect Amiga keyboard and close that jumper, but the behaviour was same.

Next I will try to make an Arduino powerswitch that keeps reset active for some milliseconds after connecting the ATX power-on so I can see what is the time that is needed for Lyra3 to catch up. Meanwhile I will use my original Lyra for now.

• Yes I've read that. I've been using A500 PSU as stated earlier. But I don't have means to make the test with that supply (mains relays), so I can test with ATX PSU as I can control that easier. It won't be the solution for my problem but this way I can see how long delay there needs to be for Lyra3 before releasing the reset after power on.

Is Lyra2 closer to original Lyra or Lyra3 in this sense, how long does it need to initialize?

• Lyra and Lyra2 for A1200 used an external reset circuit, as the Microchip PIC MCU didn't have a free pin for generating reset. Lyra3 is the first to control the reset line from the MCU, and just like the predecessors, it does not touch that line unless you actually execute a reset with the keyboard.

Before playing with an Arduino, why not add a simple push button for reset, hold that down, power on, and then release it? If that makes it work, you can proceed to translating that into Arduino code, but I'd make a test like this first.

• Before playing with an Arduino, why not add a simple push button for reset, hold that down, power on, and then release it?

Yes, I did that already earlier and it does resolve the problem. I just want to find out how long (or short in this case) it needs to be held.

It seems that if I turn on the PSU with reset held and then release it right away the keyboard works.

• Not sure - I *assume* that the routine that checks for "keys pressed at startup" is what's causing the issue. Does the BPPC card have any function that can be enabled/disabled by holding a key during startup?

• I forgot to report that I ended up making a "fix" to this with Arduino. It simply gives a reset to the system 0.5s after the Arduino starts up. A bit overkill maybe but as I had an extra lying around this was easiest fix for me to my issue.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.