Possible ACA500+ Issue

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

I have bridged the jumper that was needed (as I have no 68000 installed in the Amiga A500 R6a).

I can go into the profile settings, select a KS ROM to load then press enter to boot, which works fine and gives me the usual KS1.3 / 3.1 hand inserting a disk.

However, if I choose to use F1/F2 to boot to the ACA500+ KS1.3/3.1 then the system just hangs at a black or sometimes grey screen.

No expansions are installed and the power supply is good (I have tested the PSU on other A500s and also other PSUs with this A500 and ACA500+)

I checked the option for User ROMs and nothing is displayed in there which I believe is correct as the ROMS that are built in to the ACA500+ would not show in there.

Does anyone have an idea of what may be happening?

Thank you for any help that you may be able to give :)

• The "removed" 68000 should not cause any trouble.

Please double-check your overclocking settings: While you may be starting with less than 21MHz, the card will still switch to maximum CPU clock during Kickstart unpacking, and this may crash. Please go to the global settings menu and check that maximum frequency is set to a safe frequency before doing any tests.

• Hi,

I have managed to work around it. I booted using a profile to KS3.1 and used the Virtual Drive set to WB3.1 Auto. This allowed me to install to the CF card :)

I can't get above 21mhz on the board, but then it isn't supported above that so it is not a problem.

I do have one question which you might be able to answer. It seems that sometimes copying to the AUX CF card (64gb fat32) that the files appear on the CF card while it is plugged in to my PC, yet they don't appear when plugged in to the ACA. Is there a maximum limit CF size supported? Should I split the card up into 16GB partitions (also fat32)?

Other than that issue, the card is excellent, and I am extremely happy with it!

Thank you :)

• I do have one question which you might be able to answer. It seems that sometimes copying to the AUX CF card (64gb fat32) that the files appear on the CF card while it is plugged in to my PC, yet they don't appear when plugged in to the ACA. Is there a maximum limit CF size supported? Should I split the card up into 16GB partitions (also fat32)?

So far, I have only used a 64G card once, just to try out having "all of Aminet" on a single card. This worked fine, and I could not see any problems there, so it is certainly not a general problem.

What you should double-check is that you properly eject/unmount the card before removing it from the PC. The files may be on the card, but the required file system entries may not be written to the card yet, as that part of the card is buffered to keep too many write cycles to the same blocks from happening. You ensure that buffers are written out by properly telling the OS that you want to remove the card.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.