Hot plugging CF cards safe?

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I was looking for something else when I saw an IDE-to-CF adapter that goes into a slot on the back of the computer, so it's possible to insert and remove the CF card without opening up the computer.

I ordered one, so now my question is: is it safe to insert or remove a CF card into a IDE-to-CF adapter when the computer is turned on?

I currently have an original X-Surf card that I'm going to use with this adapter tomorrow as soon as the right power cable arrives, but I'm considering getting a Buddha card so I can boot from a CF card. So my question is for both of them, but I thought I'd just ask here in order to avoid posting the same thing in two places.

• That was my first thought as well, but: if you but from a Workbench floppy, you can remove that no trouble. The computer asks you to put it back in when needed. (The Amiga was so much smarter than those modern computers.) Also, I had an issue with my HDD so I ran DiskSalv, and then effectively the boot volume has been removed. So I got periodic messages to please insert it.

Not that it makes much sense to remove your boot device, so I don't plan on doing that.

But more importantly, are there electrical or driver issues? Obviously CF cards are made to hot plug, but I doubt the IDE spec or the X-Surf/Buddha drivers were written with that in mind.

• Electrical - No, as you noticed, CF cards are designed for it. But driver... i have no idea. I would assume that IDE drivers assume a HD, and dont like the device being removed.

• Correct, the Buddha does not have any means for even detecting that a CF card has been removed. The only device we have that supports CF-card hot-swapping is the ACA500plus. It has a special circuit to switch power on/off on the "Aux" port, which is the only way to operate CF cards in IDE mode *and* support hot-plugging. The CF card specification excludes this option, but if you read between the lines, the detour of adding a power switch lets you provide the feature anyway.

For the Buddha, I can only re-emphasize that it is an IDE controller, not a CF card controller. It does not support hot-swapping, and it does not have the same auto-mounter for FAT-formatted cards that the ACA500plus has.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.