RapidRoad USB X-100 - USB stick issues and icons not appearing

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I've just (at last) installed the excellent RapidRoad USB on my X-100 card in my A2000 (3.1.4) with a TF536 accelerator, an A2320 flicker fixer and a Picasso II card. I used the install ADF, as I have not yet installed a TCP stack on my A2000 (hence needing the USB drive).

Installed Poseidon fine and then used Trident to set up the USB.

I am testing with FAT32 formatted USB sticks formatted omn a Windows 10 machine, using quickformat.

I have a tiny (physically) 8GB SanDisk Cruzer USB drive which came with my GoTEK, and this seems to work perfectly, most of the time. Sometimes I get a funny message about the UMSD finding a bad block on the drive, but mostly I don't with this stick. This drive I did not format, it came already formatted this way.

I tried a noname 16GB drive, FAT32 fomatted and this was recognized by Poseidon, but no icon showed up on the desktop, which was strange.

Tried another couple of 8 GB drives and a 128MB drive all formatted FAT32 under W10, but they all put up icons, but seem to throw up the bad block error (but not in Windows, or the GoTEK drive).

Can anyone provide any assistance?

Also - what is the command line reference to the USB drive? I cannot seem to find reference to this anywhere. Is it called USB:, or UMSD: or something else?

Is there any way to format a disk FAT32 under AmigaDOS?

All help appreciated!!

Kind regards

Luke

• Sometimes I get a funny message about the UMSD finding a bad block on the drive,

That's a read error. Since these don't happen on the USB side, it's likely they are caused by bad timing between the accelerator and the main board. Please turn to the vendor of your accelerator for that. The other errors you are describing smell like "caused by the same issue".

Also - what is the command line reference to the USB drive? I cannot seem to find reference to this anywhere. Is it called USB:, or UMSD: or something else?

UMSD: is correct - this stands for "USB Mass Storage Device".

Is there any way to format a disk FAT32 under AmigaDOS?

The filesystem is set in the mount list, and Poseidon sets FAT as the filesystem by default. If you just "Format quick" the USB stick, it'll be FAT32.

• Many thanks Jens this is great.

Actually I seem to be getting better luck with the USB sticks by formatting them using the Windows Administrator Command Line, using Diskpart, cleaning the disk, creating a new partition and then using format fs=fat32 quick.

Kind regards

Luke

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.