Keyrah and Amiga 600 and Mister - LED won't work with correct configuration

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

I have connected the keyrahv2 to an amiga 600 which is then connected to the MISTER FPGA.

With the switch set to the middle, the power LED on the amiga 600 turns on however the keys are all random. I can't remap them through the MISTER interface because enter is remapped to the space key and vice versa. With the switch set to down, all the keys work perfectly however the power LED then goes out.

Is there a way to get the power LED to come on with the switch set to down please or an easier way to remap the keys?

Thank you in advance

• Even with the switch set to down, the return key and the space bar both perform the same function on the mister - the space bar doesnt produce a space

• Keyrah behaves as expected; the power LED shows the state of the switch. There is no configuration setting to change this.

Keys on the A600 keyboard "mixed" is also expected: The A600 does not have a numeric keypad, and setting the switch in the other position will re-map a few keys to be numeric keypad, similar to narrow laptop keyboards. The exact layout is described in our Wiki.

Even with the switch set to down, the return key and the space bar both perform the same function on the mister - the space bar doesnt produce a space

That sounds very much like a problem in the MISTer. You will find that these keys produce the expected functions if you connect Keyrah to a Linux/Mac/Windows-PC.

• Keyrah behaves as expected; the power LED shows the state of the switch. There is no configuration setting to change this.

Keys on the A600 keyboard "mixed" is also expected: The A600 does not have a numeric keypad, and setting the switch in the other position will re-map a few keys to be numeric keypad, similar to narrow laptop keyboards. The exact layout is described in our Wiki.

That sounds very much like a problem in the MISTer. You will find that these keys produce the expected functions if you connect Keyrah to a Linux/Mac/Windows-PC.

Thank you for the reply. I have however also bought two other keyrahs and installed them in a c16 and vic20 on the MISTer and every key works as it should. With a standard USB keyboard attached to the MISTer the amiga core reproduces all keys so perhaps this is an amiga setting specific issue with the keyrah?

I also really prefer the power LED being on when my amiga 600 is connected to the MISTer. Is there any way to replicate this at all if not through the keyrah?

I was so happy with the keyrah with the C16 and Vic20 so I was surprised it didn't seem to work as well with the A600.

Thank you again for your reply

• so perhaps this is an amiga setting specific issue with the keyrah?

Yes, sure - and it's documented in the Wiki.

I also really prefer the power LED being on when my amiga 600 is connected to the MISTer. Is there any way to replicate this at all if not through the keyrah?

No, again: There is no user-configuration item for the behaviour of the Amiga keyboard matrix. What you'Re asking for is a product change - you want it to behave different from what's advertised.

• Yes, sure - and it's documented in the Wiki.

No, again: There is no user-configuration item for the behaviour of the Amiga keyboard matrix. What you'Re asking for is a product change - you want it to behave different from what's advertised.

I must stress how happy I am with the performance of the Keyrah with the C16 and the VIC20

I am rather confused as to why the power button comes on with the regular switch for the C16 and VIC20 and not the Amiga 600. Surely it would be nicer for the power light to show when the keyrah is operating the Amiga 600 as an Amiga 600 keyboard as opposed to pretending to be an Amiga 1200?

• The product was developed a bit over 14 years ago, and it's the first time ever that someone complains about the state of the power LED. It shouldn't be too hard to hard-wire the LED to a state where it's always on with power applied if it's really that disturbing to you.

• The product was developed a bit over 14 years ago, and it's the first time ever that someone complains about the state of the power LED. It shouldn't be too hard to hard-wire the LED to a state where it's always on with power applied if it's really that disturbing to you.

I'm rather confused by your reply. I made a point about saying how happy I was with the the performance of the Keyrah in the C16 and Vic20 that I connected to the MISTer but was disappointed in the performance of it with the Amiga 600 which was rather dissimilar. Perhaps you were having a bad day. I don't know how I could hard wire the LED to a state where its always on - would you be able to advise me please? Also could you explain why the space bar and the return key produce the same result in Mister? Again this is only something that I have had an issue with the Amiga 600.

Thank you for your help.

• Perhaps you were having a bad day.

...or we're having the classic problem of you reading it differently from the way I meant it to be read.

I don't know how I could hard wire the LED to a state where its always on - would you be able to advise me please?

For Amiga LEDs, it's especially simple, as the resistors for the LEDs are on the circuit board that carries the LEDs. These LEDs have a common ground, so all you need to do is to separate the signal from Keyrah and wire it directly to +5V. In case you can't read the Amiga schematics, here's the Power LED signal highlighted:

Don't get confused - the highlighted signal is on both the upper (red) and the lower (blue) side of the board. The CAD program will display the lower (normally covered) trace when highlighted. You don't see this in reality from the top :-)

Also could you explain why the space bar and the return key produce the same result in Mister?

I can't - MISTer is not my product. All I can do is to comply with the USB specifications, and that's what I do. Please do a cross-check with a Windows-, Mac- or Linux PC, and you will find that the keys produce the correct result. If it's different on a different computer, you need to look for the cause there. There's surely a vendor - please contact their support.

• Thank you very much for your reply.

I'm afraid to say I couldn't grasp how to separate the signal from the keyrah to wire to 5v.

• Thank you very much for your reply.

I'm afraid to say I couldn't grasp how to separate the signal from the keyrah to wire to 5v.

I should have added that I don't really understand. Does this mean that I am connecting the led directly to a 5v source? I don't think the MISTer has a 5v input. I know the Raspberry Pi does so please could you explain what you mean by that? Thank you.

• This is going way beyond normal product support - doing this is completely at your own risk.

USB devices are operated with 5V supply voltage, and that's provided on the USB connector. All you do is to snap off the wire for the power LED and solder it to a spt on on Keyrah that's "always 5V". If you don't have schematics (which I know you don't), the easiest way to find a 5V-spot is to take the pinout of standard ICs, such as the 74HC14 (14-pin chip): Pin#14 is Vcc, which is 5V.

Hello Jens,

On the keyrah3, will this behaviour change? I got the Keyrah v2 in a a600 case with a600 keyboard connect to a raspberry pi4, but no power light because of this.

• With V3 it is different, the Power LED shows the state the Keyrah is in:

- blinking: its initializing (happens during a short period at power up)

- on (ready)

- pulsating (connected computer is in sleep mode)

• :)
    • :(
    • ;)
    • :P
    • ^^
    • :D
    • ;(
    • X(
    • :*
    • :|
    • 8o
    • =O
    • <X
    • ||
    • :/
    • :S
    • X/
    • 8)
    • ?(
    • :huh:
    • :rolleyes:
    • :love:
    • 8|
    • :cursing:
    • :thumbdown:
    • :thumbup:
    • :sleeping:
    • :whistling:
    • :evil:
    • :saint:
    • <3
    Marks thread as resolved after post creation.