ACA500+ Profile corruption?

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi Jens,

FYI: I'm using a standard A500 and standard PSU with an ACA500+

I have a weird issue with Profile #1 (which I've always booted from) - When I launch from this profile, the resulting 'extraction' messages show garbled text and the system hangs. When I look at the profile settings, my saved CPU setting (rom user area #3) has defaulted back to Mainboard rom. If I change back to user rom #3 then all works ok when I press enter - (but if I try to save, the system says no changes made).

To get around this problem, I now boot from profile #2 which is ok.

Its not an earth shattering issue but annoying. Is there anyway to somehow 'reset' profile #1?

This issue only happens from a 'cold' boot. Resulting CtrlAA warm boots don't cause a problem.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Darren

• Hi Jens,

No it doesn't flash. It comes on once then goes out after about a second.

As a further update - Profile #2 now does the same and no longer defaults to user area #3 CPU I have now started using profile #3 to see if the problem continues..

Not a massive issue as I've said, just annoying.

Kind Regards,

Darren

• We did have a support case in the German part of this forum where profile corruption was caused by a bad power supply (excessive ripple), so you might want to try with a different PSU if you have one available. Don't buy anything "new", as all that's on the market is not suitable for an Amiga, despite advertising "for Amiga": They violate the original Commodore spec in three out of three key points, so I can't recommend anything "new" that's currently on the market. At this point, it's best to re-cap the original PSUs. Or wait a few more days until we open pre-orders for our PSU,which of course complies with the original COmmodore spec, but we should find out if the PSU is really the source of your problem before I recommend to spend any money.

• Thats very interesting Jens Thank you. I do have a spare original PSU for the Amiga but I need to rummage around in my attic for it....

I'll look at this over the weekend and let you know.

Thank you for your prompt responses.

Darren

• Success!

Swapping the power supply seems to have done the trick. I'm guessing I need to swap out some or all of the capacitors on the old one?

On a similar subject, I have ordered A Checkmate 1500 case from Stephen. Can your soon-to-be-released PSU be put inside a case like this at all please?

Thanks again Jens!

• I'm guessing I need to swap out some or all of the capacitors on the old one?

You need to do a more precise measurement - voltage under load and ripple under load is what you should look at. It's likely to be the old output caps, but it might as well be a completely wrong voltage setting.

On a similar subject, I have ordered A Checkmate 1500 case from Stephen. Can your soon-to-be-released PSU be put inside a case like this at all please?

Our PSU is external, it connects to the 5-pin square DIN input.

The Checkmate 1500 case encourages you to use an ATX PSU, which in most cases is not suitable for the Amiga, because it does not have the 5V rail as it's main regulation rail. If you like the form factor, then the Checkmate 1500 case is great. However, I recommend not to use their Zorro-like expander.

• Jens

Changed the title of the thread from “ACA5000+ Profile corruption?” to “ACA500+ Profile corruption?”.
  • Just keep it a few more weeks - I have a PSU tester in the works that displays the voltage accuracy and maybe also ripple "at a glance". I plan to include this for free with every order, so every Amiga owner will have an easy way to see if a PSU is in spec or not.

• I have a PSU tester in the works that displays the voltage accuracy and maybe also ripple "at a glance". I plan to include this for free with every order, so every Amiga owner will have an easy way to see if a PSU is in spec or not.

This is just awesome Jens. Would be an invaluable tool for us. Thank you.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.