Posts by Overmann

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.

Here's a driver that disables the blitter for those modes that don't use the stream processor - in an attempt to find the part of the chip that causes the glitches. Please report back if it improves anything (and yes, it's expected that some things are slower without the blitter).

I gave it a try and yes, this appears to solve the issues, and as you noted: slow things down a little. Still an improvement overall :) Thanks!

I used to own two of these cards, but sold one to afford a Cyberstorm 040. I cannot part with the only RTG-card I have, but I'm sure there are users out there (with more lavish hardware collections) who would not mind selling one at a good price, especially when it goes towards actual development. I mean, people are giving EXPENSIVE hardware away to youtuber's just for a mention in a "donations"-video..

I would be happy to send you my card as a loan, however, but I understand if that's just a bit too complicated and risky.

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone else have had this issue. I have a CV64/3D that's been working perfectly for years in my A1200 ZIV busboard but today I moved it to my A4000 (for those sweet ZIII-speeds) but I get these strange graphical glitches in >800x600 resolutions (800x600 and below are perfect). The picture looks fine when everything is still but as soon as I start moving things around I get these odd flashes with graphical garbage made up of stuff that's on screen. It remains as long as I'm moving a window or resizing. NOT when moving the mouse or the picture is still.

I've tried reducing clockrate but it does not appear to make a difference. I don't have other RTG cards to test, but there is no other indications that I have a problem with the busboard or motherboard. Both were recently overhauled and recapped and has been working perfectly. Only my CV64/3D is glitching.

A while ago I bought a second hand A3000 and it came with a Buddha 20th anniversary. I recently got the SCSI on the A3000 working and moved the Buddha over to my A1200 tower (With ZIV busboard) for use with Buddhas fastZ2 mode, but now I'm finding it quite difficult to install because the Buddha did not come with the DOM. By just installing the Buddha I do not get any buddhascsi.device or similar showing up anywhere, however the Buddha appears to be working. It's present in the early boot menu and sysspeed. And I am able to use buddha flash to set it to fastZII mode.

I've tried running finddevice but it also finds no device related to Buddha.
    So I donwloaded some older Buddha install .lha from the wiki and while everything installs fine when it gets to the point where it launches finddevice it tells me "Failed to initialize: Can't find the buddha semaphore. Probably the IDE driver is not loaded. This is in regards to buddha_atapi.device.

I'm at a bit of a loss. I understand that I should have the DOM with all it's amazing software, but is there no way to get things installed without the DOM? I don't need any fancy features, I just want my CD-rom to work. I currently have a CD-rom drive connected to one IDE port and a IDE2CF (without a CF-card in it) connected to the other port.

I tried removing the card, but that didn't help. I have since rolled back to a backup i have of DH0 and everything is working perfectly again. Which points to it not being the toccata itself, but rather some software/library/device that people sometimes install with it. I have the Toccata and CV3D running perfectly, with AHI and P96 now, and I'll try installing SoundFX, Samplitude etc. one by one, checking 320x240 as I go along. Perhaps I'll at least figure out what breaks it. There is a thread on Amibay where people with CV3D and Toccata report the same issue, but no answers to be found.

Most (if not all) new AT-PSU's appear to be very low quality. I have a number of StarTech AT-PSU that I bought last year, but I opted to put a HQ ATX-PSU in my A1200-tower instead. Should I not have? I assumed it would be better to use a really good ATX PSU then a bad AT-PSU. And yeah, my tower is all metal, and well grounded, thankfully! :)

Hi,

I've recently been experiencing crashing with my Cybervision 3D when using 320x240 8bit, hi-color and true color screens. It just comes up as a grey screen with vertical grayish and black lines (sometimes the screen is green instead of gray) and freezes the machine. Both when starting software that use those screens and in Picasso96mode when testing. Other screenmodes work fine.

I recently installed a Toccata sound card in my machine. I thought there might be some conflict but removing the card didn't help. I also tried reinstalling P96 but that didn't help either. :(

I have am running an A1200:
    Blizzard 1260 w SCSIkit 256mb RAM

ZIV Zorro II busboard

CV3D

X-Surf 100 w Rapidroad

Toccata

FastATA ZIV

It might be a bit of a hack'y system, but it's been rock steady!

Thank you Jens! Allthought a little discouraging it certainly is informative! I guess I should contact the hardware databases and inform them of this, as I really don't see how the cards can be claimed to support fast-ZII if there is no (documented) way to activate that mode.

Well, I guess thats the end of my search for a fast-ZII RTG solution. Thank you for all the help! :)

I've not gotten anywhere in my search for answers on this subject. I think I've covered most of the (non-localized) forums now.

It really is very strange. All amiga hardware sources I've found mention the DCE version as supporting fast-ZII but I've not managed to find a single person who has run this setup.. I've not found a manual specifically for the DCE variant either. Mine came with a printed manual but that made no mention of DCE or MK-II so It might have been the Phase5-manual (which is easily found online).

Although he normally doesn't want to hear any questions about "old Amiga stuff", I can try if you don't get any more info from other forums (such as EAB or a1k.org) by the end of the week.

Thanks, thats very nice of you! I'll post to a1k.org now, I forgot about that one! I'll report back here as soon as I hear something, if I do. :P

That's interesting! My Buddha usually lives in my A2000, so it was brought over to the A1200 for testing only. It is back where it belongs now so while I now understand that two cards might cause issues I'm thankfully not having to deal with those potential problems :P

I will write a full report with speed comparisons etc. if I can get this combination to work, but I really have very little to go on. Elbox got back to me very quickly and said that they've never tried the busboard with a CV3D and didn't know if CV3D supported fastZII. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that someone at DCE can at least point me in the right direction, but I'm not holding my breath :P

Thanks for the reply, Jens! Sad to hear of Dellert's passing. I've contacted DCE, but I don't know if that is even the samy company any more. :P
    All amiga hardware databases report that the DCE-version (with the red jumper wire) supports fast Z-II, but I've not communicated with anyone who has actually run their CV3D in fast-ZII. The search continues I guess.

By the way, the speed bump with Buddha in fast ZII was a nice surprise! Thank you for supporting "that wierd mode" ;)

Hi,

I've been trying to get my DCE Cybervision 64/3D to work with fast Z-II mode on my ZIV busboard but I've had no luck. I know the Buddha requires a rom switch but I can find no such requirement on the CV3D. I've tried installing P96 and using Cybergraphx instead but I havn't even managed to set it up properly yet :P

Does P96 support this or is it simply up to the hardware to cumminucate this function? Should the CV3D and ZIV busboard just handle this on their own?

Doing "CPU and RAM only" would be a waste, as all peripherals would then be on a rather slow bus. I'd add at least fast expansion connectors, as you can easily reach 4-5 times the speed that you can get on Z3.

Yes, I would expect the regular Jens-treatment with fast expnasion connectors and the like. What I was reffering to was included RTG, ethernet etc. with no option to "opt out" of these features. Making an accelerator that has room to add features is good thinking, making one that has no option to opt out of a bunch of features, raising the cost, might not be.

The ACA1240/1260 is sure so sell well so I feel confident that I'll see an A3000 accelerator from iComp in the coming years then. ;)

Hi there,

I don't know if this is the correct place to ask, but do you think there is a chance of an accelerator for A3000 or A4000? I've been buying ACA cards for years and they are fantastic! An aca3030 would be a wonderful "lowcost" upgrade for a stock-ish A3000 or perhaps Jens could be able to conjure up a nice stripped down design for an 040/060 accelerator for these machines as the ones in the work elsewhere are all in one type upgrades (and pretty expensive) while many A3000/4000 users will want to use Zorro/PCI slots for upgrades such as RTG and ethernet.