Posts by RetroGeek

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.

Thank you Jens for the quick response. I will add your information to the videos. In part 3 of the Buddha IDE Series, I will show viewers how to prep and format hard drives and Compact Flash drives that are larger than 4 GB. In part 4 of the Series, I will show viewers how to use the older Buddha IDE software, included on the DOM, to use CD-ROM and ZIP-100 drives. I may have to ask you more questions before recording the videos. I want the information in this series of videos to be correct. I have searched YouTube, and there are only 2 to 3 videos about the Buddha IDE, and those videos are not very good. I think the Amiga community needs a series of videos about this great product.

Well, I never use hard drives or CF Cards larger than 1 GB. In fact, I usually use 512 MB or smaller. Because of this, I have NEVER had any problems with any of my 5 Amiga 2000 computers. They work perfectly, because I do not allow my ego to get in the way. So, can I remove the DOM and just use HDTools to prep and format my drives? Normally, on SCSI hard drives, I type in and save the parameters, low level format the drive, partition the drive, and then check the drive for errors. Then I reboot the Amiga and do the high level format. I have done all of this on the IDE drives as well, except for the low level formatting. That is what I am unsure of. Because, on the PC, you never low level format IDE hard drives. But, on the Amiga you type in and save the drive parameters onto the boot sector of the hard drive. This is the reason why the low level format starts at sector 2, not sector 1. In fact, after you type in the drive parameters and save them to the boot sector of the hard drive, HDTools will not allow access to sector 1 when formatting and partitioning the drive. Anyway, I thank you so much for your help. I am recording a series of videos about the 20TH Anniversary Buddha IDE controller, and then I will post those videos on my YouTube channel: Hans Campbell. So, I am asking these question to make sure that I have the correct information. You have a great product, so, I am promoting it. :)

I do not like the software that comes on the 20TH Anniversary DOM. It preps and formats a hard drive way too fast, so fast that I do not trust the prep and format. Because of this, I actually prefer to use HD Tools in Workbench 3.1. When I load up HD Tools, the Buddha IDE and IDE drives come up as SCSI devices, even though they are IDE. Also, I know that you are suppose to low level format SCSI drives, but, do we low level format IDE drives? I know on the PC side, you should never low level format an IDE hard drive.

Since I am not using the software that comes on the DOM, is there a device driver that I am suppose to copy over to my Workbench Install disk, or just use the one included with Workbench 3.1?