Posts by turrican9

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.

Another possibility (and more things to try for turrican9 ) would be to find a mode in the already-existing list of Chameleon output modes that is good for switching *from*: Please try if selecting one of the other modes first, then back to 720x576@50Hz also makes it work, as that's something that the software can always do without adding anything to the FPGA core.

So switching from 768x576@50Hz VIC II sync ON to 720x576@50Hz VIC II sync ON seems solid after 10 + tries. Meaning the monitor will indeed select the desired 720x576@50Hz setting after 10+ tries. If I try to go from 768x576@50Hz VIC II sync OFF to 720x576@50Hz VIC II sync ON the monitor will switch to the 'not wanted' 640x480@50Hz.

Other resolutions I tried was 640x480@50Hz, 800x600@50Hz and 800x600@72Hz. For all of them I tried VIC II sync ON or OFF. About 3 or 4 tries with 800x600@50Hz VIC II sync on then back to 720x576@50Hz VIC II sync ON seemed to work in those few tries. But not if I tried VIC II sync OFF and then back to 720x576@50Hz VIC II sync ON. Would then go back to the not wanted 640x480@50Hz. 640x480@50Hz VIC II sync ON or OFF would fail to switch to the proper resolution when I switched back to 720x576@50Hz VIC II sync ON. 800x600@72Hz and VIC II sync ON would give me the correct resolution a couple of times when switching back to 720x576@50Hz VIC II sync ON, but failed after a few attempts. Giving me the not desireable 640x480@50Hz.

So so far it seems like it's solid when coming from 768x576@50Hz VIC II sync ON and switching to 720x576@50Hz VIC II sync ON. As for 800x600@50Hz VIC II sync ON I would need to do more testing to be sure.

That early startup code is intended to show "something" on screen in case something goes wrong - it's a debug screen and should therefore be visible on almost any monitor. It would be counter productive to already load user settings there, as those might be "special" like in your case, where a 50Hz-capable monitor is required.

I can imagine that pausing the output for a certain minimum amount of time can help, but you can try that yourself: If the output has already switched to 720x576 and your monitor has falsely detected 640x480, leave both units powered on and only remove the VGA connector from the Chameleon for maybe 2 seconds. If you then plug it back in again, will the monitor detect the correct resolution?

If that fixes it, we may be able to add an option in the settings to "emulate" this plugging event by disabling the output signals for a certain period of time (which you'll hopefully tell us). I would not want to add this wait by default, as one of the properties of the Chameleon is it's quick start. It would be nice if others won't have to suffer from a wait that's not necessary for their setup.

Just got home. Did some testing. I did exactly what you describe here. First I set the resolution to 720x576@50Hz VICII sync on and saved the settings. At which point my monitors correctly switches to 720x576@50Hz and everything looks nice. Then I power off my system and power it on again. At which point my monitors switches to 640x480@50Hz.

At this point, with both the system (C64 + TC64V2) and monitor still turned on I unplug the VGA cable and then plug it back after about 2 seconds. This makes my BenQ BL912/BL 702As switch to the more correct 720x576@50Hz. If I unplug and then instantly re-plug the VGA cable then the monitors will identify the wrong resolution and switch to 640x480@50Hz. But about 2 seconds seems to do it. I tried this about 10 to 15 times. And every time I waited about 2 seconds before I plugged the VGA cable back my monitors would detect and switch to the more correct 720x576@50Hz mode.

So it seems your solution could work for my case at least. Would be awesome if you could implement a menu option for this. Seeing as the BenQ BL702As and BL912 are quite popular for both the Indivision line of scandoublers and TC64V1/V2. They will sync perfectly to 50Hz. And 720x576@50Hz seems to be the sweetspot for the TC64V2 on these monitors. So if that delay option selectable from the menu would do the trick that would be awesome.

Thanks

So been messing some more with the 720x576@50Hz ViC II sync on resolution on my BenQ BL 702As and BL912. So what I found is that the first time I change to this resolution my monitors will guess the correct 720x576@50Hz resolution and fill the screen perfectly (probably mentioned this earlier). As soon as I reset the chamelon or turn the system off and on again my monitors will guess 640x480@50Hz and much of the lower picture will not show. If I turn the monitors off and on again they will guess the correct resolution again (720x576@50Hz).

So when the chamelon resets or is booting up from coldstart it will run the default 800x600@72Hz until It reaches the menu. Then it will switch to the saved resolution profile set by the user. And this switching causes my BL702As and BL912 to guess the wrong (not suitable) resolution. Until I turn my monitors off and then on again, then everything is fine. So if there was a way I could have the 720x576@50Hz resolution at reset or coldstart then the problem would be gone. Would it be possible at all?

So I made a new 1440x576 (720x576) PAL profile. I managed to hit the exact same vertical frequency I have on my 1480x576 PAL profile. I think this was the culprit for my particular LCD screens sometimes autopicking 1080i instead of 720x576, and not pixelclock.

1480x576 profile is still in the list, but disabled. And the new 1440x576 PAL profile is active.

Anyway, here you go

Files

• Latest ECSV3.7z

(1.29 kB, downloaded 115 times, last: )

I see ... I hope Jens will shed some light - just for completeness :)

but I have to say turrican9 that the profiles work so well that I spent the couple of nights playing some Turrican again... so smooth and nice :D

Yes, this is a very advanced tool and I've spent ages experimenting with it to finally make native 1:1 scandoubled profiles that works properly for me. It's very nice to hear that they work nicely on your CRT aswell.

Turrican.. What can one say... Turrican 1 and 2 on Amiga and C64 for that matter are some of the best games ever made :D Enjoy your smooth gameplay :D

awesome! thanks for sharing this turrican9!!!!

I have a question though - why the VGA modes are defined as so high resolutions with double the width?

for NTSC it is 1440x480 and for PAL it is 1480x576

what is the trick? I am using an EIZO 15" CRT that states max 1024x768/85hz and both of your modes work just fine but it makes me wonder... any insight on this? :)

I have to do it to get good results. I think Jens can explain this. Basically when I double the resolution it increases the pixel clock. If I try to type in the real resolution (half like 720 instead of 1440) I get a poor picture quality. At least when I try to duplicate the scandoubled 1:1 resolutions. Probably because the pixelclock is then cut in half.

With regards to the PAL profile having 1480 instead of 1440 has to do with me struggling to get my particular LCD screens lock to the 720x576 resolution. I had to do it in order to hit a specific vertical frequency/pixelclock value or my BenQ BL702A/BL 912 LCD screens would sometimes switch to 1080i resolution. But as I said, this will probably not affect your CRT. You should still see the 1:1 720x576 50Hz scandoubled PAL picture correctly (720 width). I believe the latest NTSC profile should work really nice aswell.

Finally nailed the NTSC profile. I compared to what my TC64V2 was doing when running the minimig AGA core in scandoubled NTSC mode.

I now have a nice 720x480 NTSC 60Hz Vsync profile that switches my BenQ BL 702As and BL912 to 640x480 60Hz, just like TC64V2 minimig core is doing in scandoubled NTSC mode.

Files

no plans as far as I know. You can however connect something like an sd2iec to load D81 files. But you need to run it's own filebrowser. Launching D81 files from sd2iec via tc64s filebrowser will not work I think. All D81 software should be available as D64s anyway. As all D81 games came from D64s originally.

And diskswapping is effortless with the tc64 anyway. So multidisk D64 software is no issue really

The TC64/TC64 V2 does not support D71 or D81 images.

Thanks for these profiles turrican9, I have a BL912 monitor I'd like to test them out on. Do you know if these profiles work on the Mk3 too?

I too have a BL912. And the profile should work the same on the 912 as it does on the BL702As. I don't know about the MK3 as I don't own one.

yes. Two modes added. you should not need to rename the file. You should be able to open it in the config utility.

Here is my 1:1 720x576 Vsync PAL profile that works perfect for my BenQ BL702As and BL 912 LED screens. It's basically a scandoubled version of what would be shown if I connect them directly to RGB. So far I haven't had huge success with creating a 1:1 NTSC profile. But for PAL I have nailed it.

Latest ECSV3.7z

Hi,

This does not happen on my two ECS V3 setups. I currently use Shadow of the beast III whdload v.1.5. I did what you described. Let the intro run through until it got to the menu where you see some in-game gameplay. Then started the game. No issues.

System 1: Amiga 500+ (A500++ replica board), 2MB chip, ACA 500 and fully unlocked and max overclocked ACA 1221 and BenQ BL 702A connected to ECS V3s VGA

System 2: Amiga 500+ (A500++ replica board), 2MB chip, ACA500 Plus overclocked to max (42MHz), F1 to launch and BenQ BL702A connected to ECS V3s VGA.

In both setups I use a custom 720x576 50Hz Vsync PAL profile I made. This is 1:1 to what the picture will be if I plug these monitors directly to RGB. Except it's scandoubled from the ECS V3. This profile makes my monitors switch to 720x576@50.

Did not try any other profiles.