Posts by Snigelson

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.

Just curious if you've had time to check my board. I did not think of writing down the serial number, but I did include a note with problem description and my mail address, and I think I drew a question mark in blue felt tip pen on the label on the box.

If not, no worries. I'm mostly patient :)

I'm in awe of both you dedication and your troubleshooting! I've never been good at the analog stuff.

Unfortunately, I can not test the resistor fix as I seem to have killed my Indivision :( With it plugged in, when I turn the Amiga on the power LED does not come on, there is no floppy seek, and the display only shows garbled image (see attached picture). When I unplug it or use a Denise chip it seems to work just fine.

Seems like my Vampire died too, so I probably did something very stupid. Worst thing is I don't know what.

I won't even pretend like any sort of warranty should cover this, but if you want I can send it back for a post-mortem. I can't do anything with it in this state anyway.

Both my machines use the same chips, Texas SN74LS157N for U15, and a brand I don't recognize (Fairchild maybe? Picture attached) 74F04 for U33.

For science, I can socket U33 on one of them and try out a few different chips, just to see if that's the culprit. Though I only have 2x 74LS04 (which should be slower) but I'll see what I can get my hands on.

Ok, I solved it! Sort of. You can ignore the message above.

Found a thread in the German part of the forum where the same problem was described, and while my German is not top notch (and Google Translate only helps so far), I saw the Agnus mentioned. And I thought, Agnus does stuff with the clock so why not.

And as by chance, I bought an entire A500+ chipset for pretty cheap some time back. So I switched to the 8372A and poof, problem gone. Can even attach my oscilloscope without the mouse jumping around!

There seems to be a bit of jitter on the 7MHz with the 8371, but not with the 8372A. I have no idea if that's the issue, though. Looks like there's a tiny bit less noise too. See attached pictures.

7MHz line, measured on Indivision, with 8371:

7MHz line, measured on Indivision, with 8372A:

Saw you talked about power supplies too. This is with the Vampire and a non-recapped original power supply. Also works with an A-Power supply I usually use with my 1200. I think fixing power supplies will be my next project after this one.

I haven't had time to test extensively, but I've found a few things:

Recapped one of the boards. (Hadn't done this before because lazy.) After this the mouse works much better both with just 68000 and with the homemade board. Not perfect, but almost.

Still having issues with the Vampire, still only in high resolution mode. Low res works fine. All of this makes me think there might be some sort of interference on bus or power lines, but I've yet to figure out where.

Oh and also, when testing modes in the configuration tool, the mouse works perfectly fine in high res mode. Very strange.

I've started taking some measurements, but I'm not sure how accurate they are since when I connect my probe (should be about 10 pF) the mouse stops working, so I'm not sure how the signal looks when the mouse does work.

In any case. The below measurement is taken with 68000 CPU. Blue is 7MHz and yellow is pin 9 (M0H) on the Indivision.

Timing wise this looks good to me, though the voltages are perhaps a bit low for some reason.

Is the mouse sampled on the rising or falling edge of 7MHz?

Thank you for the reply!

On the board I made, the 7MHz signal just passes straight through, basically just a tiny bit longer header. Can't imagine it adds more than a few picofarads of load; any CPU relocator would certainly add more. On the Vampire board, it seems to go into a buffer/level shifter (74LVCH162245), so that's the one I've tested the below on.

When touching an about 15 cm long unconnected wire (acting like a capacitor, an antenna or both :) ) to the 7MHz pin on the Indivision, the problem gets much, much worse. The mouse essentially becomes unusable. I take this as confirmation of your theory!

I tried adding 3.3k pull-up on the 7MHz signal both at the Vampire and directly on the Indivision, but no luck. I will try and borrow an oscilloscope from work sometime during the week, to get an idea of what's actually going on, how much the boards actually delay the signals, and such.

Just got an Indivision ECS v3 and while the video output seems to work great, I'm having issues with the mouse jumping horizontally randomly. I've tested it on two Amiga 500, both with revision 5 PCB.

One of them has a Vampire 500 V2+. On this one, the cursor jumps to the left randomly. It does not happen when using low res modes, or in high res mode with 2 colors, only in high res mode with 4 colors or more. With the original Denise chip I do not see this issue.

The other one has a 68000 CPU and a home made RAM/IDE board, stacked under the CPU. I see a similar jumpiness on this one, but it jumps to the right. I have not tried yet without the RAM/IDE board.

The only thing I see on the wiki that could be even vaguely related is this point in the changelog for the firmware: "Improve compatibility with certain Rev6 boards that showed 'jumpy mouse' behavior. One of the sample points for the mouse has been moved to improve stability." I'm open to taking some oscilloscope measurements if that could help. I assume there is no way of changing the timing of the sampling without making a new firmware.

Any help or ideas appreciated!