Posts by ljmarent

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.

The requirement for PayPal is "tracked, arriving in 7 days or less" - UPS is fulfilling that easily. Care to specify what you're talking about?

Jens

1) You have a link to where PayPal states that the total shipping time 'must' be seven days or less ?

2) "A delayed shipping chargeback is when a customer files a chargeback with their bank or credit card

company because their order arrived later than expected or hadn't arrived yet."

My experience:

When courier shipping costs are a significant portion of the total purchase price,

I've found VISA customer service reps agree that the shipping delivery standard

(two days, three days, etc) is a significant component of the overall purchase.

Having the item arrive on or before the courier service standard is part of what makes the goods worth their full purchase price.

Arriving a day later than the courier service standard can mean free shipping and a negotiated product discount.

Retail psychology...

That's a whole thing right there... I'd not want to be a small online retailer today...

Trying to figure out the nature of your customers and predict how they will perceive your comments and practices...

VISA enabled transaction outcomes are subject to the customers nature and mood.

Will they gift you the ability to fix a problem,

Will they gift you co-operation in troubleshooting,

Will they gift you additional time when you need it,

I don't know that there is much you can do to 'fix' an evil nature resulting in loss, but the customers mood...

That seems like a place where the retailer could have significant leverage, if they are perceptive.

JasonE
    Failing you finding an option that costs less than $50CDN, to ship an envelope from iComp, which meets the ever increasing requirements. (Even though the UPS option currently offered does not strictly meet those)

I'm placing an order with two other customers stuff, you could add your item if you want.
    That may move your costs down from "Wait... How Much! ???" to ... "That's Normal"

From what I can see, these Gotek boards have all been hobby projects, especially the good looking ones, that have OpenSource Hardware badges.

I do not expect there has ever been EMI (conducted or radiated) emissions testing... or anything that resembles formal testing..

"Just works for me, should work for thee"

In my case... they 'function' ... but who's to say how marginally...

except when they don't function, which is when I have the ACA1234 running.

I think I'm picking up the floppy power for the Checkmate from the motherboard right now.

I can move it over to the PSU's dedicated drive power header.. might make a difference, slightly stronger 5V rail.

While power (good, bad, or silly) is a common theme on the iComp support site, my initial thoughts are signalling issues or timing.

I've yet to have bad power as the root of my own setup issues.

I did not see this issue with the OEM A500 Motherboard.. I think it appeared after the Raemixx A500++ board showed up.

So, It could be related to the Raemixx A500++ motherboard and its drive switcher as well..

I've got lots of places to probe and lots of things I can swap and try...

My A500 setup is an amazingly fun Amiga...

If it wasn't for the crazy expense, I wish everyone could do this :)

I already have a rock solid PSU,

Independent regulation on each supply rail

First order LC (film) filtering on +5V@10A rail

On the latest revision, I separated the audio power from system power.

I'm now getting the audio +/- 12V from a separate pair of +/-15V SMPS and using Analog Devices highest quality precision linear regulators to step that down to +\- 12V through a second order LC (film) filter, exclusively for Paula's audio out amplifier circuit.

Those two linear regulator IC's alone add over $30 CDN to the PSU BOM

I don't really hear the difference of course... but It's 'impressive' (maybe that's not the word) to burn this much effort and money in the name of audiophilia ... for 1980's digital sound... ;)

The mains power switch is an NKK on-off-mom rocker switch, so when I use this same PSU design in my A2000, I now have soft-power-on-off without the need to bodge an ATX style power button to the case.

All supply rails are monitored and the monitor IC controls the fan, will shutdown the PSU in over-voltage, over-current, over-temp conditions using the primary SSR and logs performance and reports out to the Amiga via I2C

Such a power supply would need too many quality and feature compromises to make it cost effective for commercial production.

And I think I know your mind well enough...

You'd not want to go to production with something if you couldn't have the best offering... :D

Making a better version of the 100pin riser board with a Buster socket or Bluster CPLD, buffer ICs and Zorro II RC termination would be great.

I could see paying ~$200 CDN for such a board.

I imagine a fair number of the Checkmate case purchasers would opt to upgrade to that, especially as we could then have two Zorro slots (case supports this) and not just one 100pin slot.

I don't think I'm the guy to round them all up though and get them to pool their money.

Also... not entirely sure that this alone would resolve my OP.

I'll just leave this post up, in case anyone else spots an issue with their Gotek in the ACA500plus & ACA1234 accelerator in a Checkmate case... And If I find a fix on my journey, I'll post that too.

This is not a 'bug' report just an observation I've had with my:
    - Ramixx500 motherboard CPU removed, ROM removed
    - Indivision ECS v2
    - A2048 Ranger port RAM board
    - Rob Cranley Zorro-II / PSU control board v2
    - ACA500plus (external clock mod)
    - ACA1234
    - X-Surf-500
    - Gbapii++ RTG graphics card
    - SwissBit CF card's
    - Gotek's with HxC and FF firmware
    - Homemade PSU

'IF' I boot with the ACA1234 'off', every clock speed of the ACA500plus, I can read\write disk files on my Gotek drive without issue.
    'IF' I boot with the ACA1234 'on', every clock speed of the ACA1234 and every attempted Gotek drive access, locks up the computer with the floppy light stuck on.
    I'll try again with an actually floppy drive at some point...

It's not a huge issue...
    As I just fall back to the ACA500plus to read\write Gotek disk files...
    And I have access to the NAS over the network...
    But ... it's kind of a weird issue, so I thought I'd share to see if others have seen this ?
    I'm kind of wondering if the ACA500plus somehow blocks the ACA1234 from floppy functions ?
    I'll just leave this observation here :)

Excellent news.
    Approximately 15 - 16 Chickens...
    okay ... I've got that set aside... Maybe I can even upgrade a little...

The Hamster payment option is also exciting...

Let's see:

The Canadian Central Bank won't let me trade in Russian hamsters (propped up currency anyway) ...
    So about $18 per hamster plus applicable conversion fees
    Brings the base model of the card to approximately 35 hamsters at todays market rates...
    A compelling option.

Thanks for the update.

In order to ensure that I'm prepared for the imminent announcement of the ACA1240 release..
    Roughly how many chickens should I have set aside for trade for a base model ?

For the sake of simplification ..

Let's say these are really nice, free range chickens which sell for about $40 each, as sold here in Toronto today :)

Of course I would not try to pry the final selling price out of you so early, just a rough card for chicken guesstimation.
    Feel free to use another unit of trade as you see fit or appropriate :D

Well.. I was not here pre 2018
    In fact I'm not sure anything Amiga existed pre 2018, I'll just have to take your word for it.
    Certainly none of my Amiga's are pre 2018 :)

Removing BuddaSpeed is much easier than moving Zorro cards around.
    I'll just add that to the notes in the installation manual here... :D

Thank you,

I noticed an interesting interaction between the Buddha and X-Surf boards while installing Zorro cards in my A2000.

If I install the X-Surf in a lower slot number than (one or more) Buddha cards; the BuddhaSpeed app reports "No Boards Found!"
    If I install the Buddha card in a lower numbered slot than the X-Surf; the BuddhaSpeed app finds the first Buddha without issue.

I tried my Buddha's and X-Surf in all slots except slot 1 as I kept my RTG card static in this slot during all testing.
    I thought I'd report this observation, just in case it affects anyone else. Specifically the "No Boards Found!" issue

My setup:
    Floppie209 Motherboard, No RAM pop, No 68000 pop, AmigaOS 3.2.1 ROM
    - TF536 in CPU slot (Matthias CPU adapter)
    - ACE2B in Agnus socket
    - Indivision ECS in Denise socket
    - Matze A1K RTG card in slot 1
    - Buddha 20th in slot 2
    - X-Surf in slot 3
    - CPLDICY in slot 5

I realize my hardware is a smidge uncommon, and I don't have a second A2000 to confirm my findings on :/
    I'm not reporting a card fault.. or requesting assistance... ;)

I'm just saying what I saw, and maybe one of you will see this to, and maybe flipping your card order will solve your issue. :thumbup:

Okay, ACA1240/60 card money finally put aside.

Fortunately... there are no other 'Fear Of Missing Out' toys on my radar for now.

Truthfully, my hands are busy building an A4000TX, so I don't even have time to look at new Amiga toys,

but the ACA1260 keeps popping back up in my thoughts and I come back to the forum to see if there is any news ?

You might want to re-think that choice. Remember electro-chemistry lessons: Gold is a precious metal, and the tin/lead alloy isn't. That means that the gold will act as a catalyst on the tin/lead alloy, accelerating oxidizing. In the long run, it's better to have contact metals "as similar as possible".

I seat my chips with Stabilant 22a, so I don't have to worry about oxidation\corrosion.
    While still enjoying that lovely gold look :D

The chips come out a lot easier, even years later, or when exposed to salt water.
    PLCC sockets are easy to replace, but damaging a MOS chip on difficult extraction is pretty well a tragedy now.

anyway... I appear to be up and running...

Note that this is ONLY required for the VBB-marked Agnus chips.

Yup, my NOS 318069-10 are VBB parts, or I wouldn't have.

Your choice of sockets will definitely hold their electrical contact.

For my new boards, I've been using Assman A-CCS 084-G-T gold plated PLCC sockets.
    Another nice German company. :)

With a little luck they will hold up as well as the sockets you have sourced from the east.

It's a fetish...I love to see all those gold pins staring at me.. :D