Posts by Reichart

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.

Indeed, this is Jim's A4000. But all good, your advice and insights are really helpful, truly deeply appreciated.
    One of my tricks with the device I designed is you could do Star or Bus, so you could deal with longer runs better.
    But given how people used Amigas, we only needed to get about 100meters out of a wire from machine to machine.
    I used standard Cat3 (telephone wire). Worked great.

I have a friend who is willing to take a whack at just manually copying for a bit, so we are going to see how painful it really is today in fact.
    More than happy to report back.

ReturnFire - indeed. We received thousands of thank you letters in America for the modem support.

cute story - One day the FedEx guy comes into our office, looks up, and says 'Why do you have a video game [Returnfire] on that stand?'
    We explained we made it. It puts down all of his stuff and shakes my hand and gets this really strange look on his face.

He explains to me he went through a bad divorce and had to move from NY to California for work, and his 13yo boy is back in NY.
    He would get off work at 4pm (7pm NY time), call his son every night, and they would play RF while chatting for about 1h. Talk homework, life, etc.

He almost looked like he was going to cry. It was very very touching. this is why I love group (or multi as they are called) games. they should bring people together.

Cool feedback, ty.

Indeed, the A4000 does have a network card, but - I know nothing about it, and given it has a BNC connector, I'm not sure what I would even hook it up to.

I agree with you on Networking all said though. Funny enough, the first product I was going to bring to Amiga in 86 was something like (but better) than Apple Talk. I built an adapter that could go on either the Par port or be treated like a Disk Drive. It would automount if it were the drive version. So for example it would just become DFx: for example. What was cool about this is you would see all other Amiga's (that allowed you to) as folder names. So copying to anyone was as easy as copying one drive to another, no heavy networking crap as overhead. But it would have allowed you to hook up to other systems like Ethernet. Oh, I should mention, I built this to sell retail for about $50. And we would have built a bridge for Apple Talk and other systems. I lament myself we never made that.

Sadly, where I am I don't have a NAS (although easy to set up all said). I'm travelling, so using someone else's system.

Indeed, FirePower was the first game in history, in fact, to play over a modem, and support a real-time game (min 8 packets per second) with multimedia input, meaning, you could play the game, use a joystick, and type text at the same time. Also, it was the simplest interface in history at that point, since the cool feature we did was to make it so when you ran the game we took control of your modem, put it into answer mode, and configured it automatically for you. As a result, the first person to type a phone number and dial would switch to LEAD, and the other system would just auto-answer, connect, and start the game. Oh, and one more thing we did, we made all that configurable in a text file so if anyone wanted to hack it for some new modem, or different defaults, they could. I miss the days of programmers trying to help hackers instead of make their lives awful.

And yes, my goal is to (slowly perhaps) recover lots of data and post it publically if I can. To blow your mind, Will Ware and I wrote Fire Power together in 87, we still work together today. Oh, and the place I'm staying is Jim Sachs castle :)

Hello,

I'm hoping to archive a load of Amiga data (source, art, etc.) from the many programs I created for the Amiga in the old days.
    I sold all my Amiga hardware (to good homes) about 10 years ago. But, I have access to an Amiga 4000.

I figure I have less than 500 disks.
    If I did this manually, I would stick a disk in, copy it to the internal harddrive.
    It has some PC DOS file disk feature which allows me to write out to that.
    So, worst case 500 * 1 minute or so, is about a day or two worth of work.

Seemed a better solution would be to install a USB device, or perhaps something that gets me on the internet (save right to Google Drive?)

Is the RapidRoad the best solution?

P.S. I co-created CDTV, and designed Fire Power, among many other products including Disney's Animation Studio on the Amiga. Feel free to ask anything.