Posts by LeeiComp

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.

👍🏻

Yes, we have a core that addresses timing shifts caused by accelerators, and there's some bug fixes in the config tool being tested. Some more testing to be done, as "XTREME" modes appear to trigger a bug when switching back to standard PAL resolution. Whatever the state of that bug is, we'll publish something before the weekend.

Update:

Jens I've uploaded some videos:

• ACA1233n-new CPUON: Sept 17th firmware with default settings (i.e. normal state) of my ACA 030 card, glitches are apparent, OSD flashing up etc..
    • ACA1233n-new CPUON-Aug: This shows the previous firmware from Aug 24th. You can see glitches too and a little worse than Sep 17th firmware.
    • ACA1233n-new CPUOFF: Disabled 030 card with "acatool cpuoff" followed by a reboot, no glitches, no OSD flickering, all working as expected. This is with Sept 17th firmware, but is the same with Aug 24th - with CPU OFF.

Also I've removed E123C and E125C caps as they were present - this made no difference.

As for Workbench, I still need to use either "PCLK pull-up resistor" or "PCLK capacitance" to remove horizontal workbench glitches. The options chosen makes no difference while running the Enigma demo, before or after capacitor removal.

That's an interesting one - VLSI! This may be the cause of the whole trouble, as the phase shift of the output Pixel clock of this Lisa may be totally different than the three other versions that I know of.

I need to dig through my stock of A1200 boards to see if I even have one of these. It might enable us to reproduce the problem and find a fix.

If you could do noe more test and switch off the PCLK pull-up resistor? That should at least change the behaviour.

Jens I tried with and without "PCLK pull-up resistor" option and didn't notice any obvious changes while in standard PAL mode. Normally I do use "PCLK pull-up resistor" as I get occasional horizontal noise while in "DblPAL high res no flicker" mode if it isn't checked.

This sounds like you have overwritten the core. Please run the "flash firmware from file" option again, as everything you're describing points to the old firmware being active.

Sorry should have been more specific. For step 1 I used "flashtool flash indi_aga_mk3_prod.rbf"

By "Restoring defaults" I meant to restore the Indi screen modes and VGA settings to defaults. I don't believe this performs a firmware flash?

Besides which, the OSD shows the date of the new Sep firmware is active.

Update on testing

TL;DR: Still getting issues with Sept firmware as I did with Aug - unless I disable ACA1233-n CPU which resolves all issues.

Method:

1. Used flashtool via CLI to reset the Indi3 and restored default operation, thanks for the tip @Leone
    2. Restored defaults on Indi3 v1.5 app, created a single new custom VGA mode (1440x1080@50Hz) for PAL. Interestingly getting new behaviour when making slight tweaks to clock values, I get full screen distortion even with known good values, but discovered this can be cured but going back to CLI and running "flashtool info" - screen goes black and comes back normal.
    3. Ran Enigma demo and noted the dropped frames and jumping in the usual places. Note other programs, demos etc. have their issues unless the 030 is disabled.
    4. In workbench, I'm no longer getting flashes in the screen while going through pull down menus in 256 colour mode (with 030 still enabled).... Not sure the re-flash cured that, or the "flashtool info" kick...
    5. I have "PCLK pull-up" selected in the Advanced options.
    6. Everything else at defaults.

Just wanted to add that having tested a MK2cr, it works perfectly, detected every time including no issues with flashing white while in PAL @256 colours.

Both on the same A1200 1D4 and with original PSU and one of your PSU's purchased at the same time as the MK3.

Jens,

Yesterday I tried to recreate the issue again from cold on the 24th Aug firmware before flashing the Sept firmware, just to get a pre-flash check. For some reason the issue wasn't occurring which I thought was annoying from a consistency point of view. Anyway I launched the IndivisionAGAMK3 app and on a few occasions the app failed to recognise the presence of the card, even though I was getting a picture and appeared to be working - just not recognised, even when starting up without startup-sequence. Eventually it was recognised.

Continued to test with the Enigma (my test demo) and still it didn't produce the issues I've seen previously. Anyway decided to reset the MK3 back to defaults then flash with Sept. firmware as a test. Result was the same, no change - the demo was working fine. Also noticed large white blocks flashes in workbench while moving through the menus or dragging windows around, but only when running in colour modes above 32, i.e. 256 colours (standard PAL mode). I wasn't getting this when I first had the MK3. I didn't see any such flashing via the RGB port connected to my Philips CM8833-II.

Today I decided to flash back to Aug firmware and test the demo once more from cold. This flashing process was successful, the firmware version was showing as 20200824 from the Live Edit mode. Running Enigma again I did see the flicking issues for Enigma demo as I've done over the last few weeks, so I thought great, I'll flash immediately to Sept firmware and test again to see if the new firmware has fixed this.

I launched the IndivisionAGAMK3 app and selected the Sept firmware, and.... no screen. Via the RGB port I see IndivisionAGAMK3 app had crashed during the flashing procedure! Unable to continue I soft rebooted, launched IndivisionAGAMK3 and it reports the MK3 is not detected. If I click continue, it crashes with error #80000005

Multiple power cycles of increasingly longer periods yields no change, the IndivisionAGAMK3 app does not recognise the MK3 and there is no picture via the card. RGB is fine.

I'm using KS 3.1.4 and have an ACA1233n-new 26MHz installed.

Using v1.5 of the IndivisionAGAMK3 app

What next please?

Although this is a super-hires mode, it's actually not too slow in 256 colors, as the video chip only needs to read 960 pixels per line from chip RAM rather than 1280. This leaves a reasonable amount of chip RAM bandwidth for the CPU and the blitter.

I would definitely recommend including such a resolution in the defaults.

Thanks I’ll try that mode on my Dell 2311H which is also 1080p and supports 50Hz.

We now have a core for everyone to test - this is really only a test-core, as it does not meet all timing requirements. We normally aim at 165MHz output pixel clock, but this core is only good for a maximum of 155MHz output pixel clock. However, one important change is there, and that's the chipset communication fix. Please download the file from our Wiki (test core sfrom September 17th) and install the core using the "flash firmware file" menu item from the drop-down menu.

Please report back if it works as good for you as it does for us - then it's worth putting more effort into meeting timing up to 165MHz pixel clock.

Thanks team will report back at some point this weekend.

Thanks - all these findings say that we should stop sampling address and data a bit earlier, as accelerators don't hold this information long after an access. Unfortunately. DHL is very slow on the "premium" parcel to Peter - shipped on the 7th, it has been sitting in German expert centers until today. Let's hope it will arrive this week - Peter can't start work on this unless he can reproduce the issue.

Any progress on this Jens?