Posts by nuttie

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.

Hi all,

While I was testing out the newest firmware update for the Indivision AGA Mk3 last week, I noticed that a few games where making the Mk3's display output go blank or get corrupted, whilst Amiga's built-in RGB output was still fine. I tried resetting my config and reflashing my firmware but it didn't change the behaviour.

These are the only problems I found after checking at least 200-300 different games, and they might very well be just my Amiga, so it would be great if someone else could try and see if they get the same things. I tried both the floppy and WHDLoad versions of each as I know sometimes they can have code patches which change their behaviour...

Second Samurai (AGA version only) - The Mk3's digital video display goes black after user clicks mouse to start loading of game and "loading..." text appears. This happens on my machine with both the floppy and the WHDLoad versions.

Ugh! - Seems okay from floppy but WHDLoad version puts the Mk3 into Graffiti mode (the Mk3's onscreen info display pops up and then the 'Graffiti' text appears on it) during initial intro sequence, despite Graffiti mode being disabled in the Indivision config tool. Once the game's main title screen appears, this reverts back to normal.

Universe - Digital video display blinks out consistently during the game's initial title animation. Both the floppy and the WHDLoad versions seem to exhibit the same behaviour.

Wiz'n'Liz - Digital video display goes black during the intro when game engine is used to show story, and also during the single player demo, but works okay during boot sequence, on title screen, and in split screen two player demo mode. Again, both the floppy and the WHDLoad versions seem to exhibit the same behaviour.

Worms Director's Cut - With both the ECS and CD32 versions (these seem to be the same version to me), the Mk3's display goes black from the title screen onwards, regardless of whether launched from floppy or WHDLoad. As with Ugh, this is triggering Grafitti mode on the Indivision, despite Graffiti mode being disabled in the Indivision config tool. The AGA version has a couple of additional splash screens (the Ocean and Team 17 logos) and a different title screen when starting up, and the Mk3's output seems okay on this version. Occurs with both the floppy and WHDLoad versions.

I think there might be a couple of different causes for the above as with Worms and Ugh, the Mk3's on-screen display pops up and I can see it changing video modes from that, whereas with Second Samurai, Wiz'n'Liz and Universe, the screen just goes black and the on-screen display does not appear.

Cheers in advance for your help! :)

Hi again,

Here's the results from my checking HDM* audio using the newest firmware and Indivision tool (2020-12-18), which the good folks at iComp released just before Christmas. Thank you very much indeed for the lovely festive present this has turned out to be! I intended to post this a few days ago but it took longer than I anticipated to check through so many titles. :)

TLDR version:

The line in the change log that says... "Fixed error in handling of ADKCON writes. Solves audio playback issues in some whdload games. (Xenon2, ShadowOfTheBeast)" is quite a wonderful understatement, and digital audio is now pretty much working perfectly for everything!

Every game that had audio either partially or completely missing, now seems to have full working audio.

Every game that had working audio previously, still seems to have audio working great.

Long version:

I've been working through the games I thought I knew well enough to recognise if the audio was fixed/improved, and so I've checked...

Agony, Alien Breed, Alien Breed 2, Alien Breed 2 AGA, Alien Breed TA, Alien Breed 3D, Alien Breed 3D II, Another World, All Terrain Racing, Apydia, Arkanoid, Arkanoid Revenge of Doh, Awesome,

B.C. Kid, Banshee AGA, Battle Squadron, Beneath a Steel Sky, Beneath a Steel Sky CD32, Black Crtypt, Body Blows, Body Blows AGA, Body Blows Galactic, Body Blows Galactic AGA, Breathless AGA, Brian the Lion, Brian the Lion AGA, Bubble'n'Squeak, Bubble'n'Squeak AGA,

Cannon Fodder, Cannon Fodder 2, Castle Master, Castle Master 2, Chaos Engine, Chaos Engine AGA, Chaos Engine CD32, Chaos Engine 2, Chaos Engine 2 AGA, Chuck Rock, Chuck Rock 2,Crazy Sue, Cruise for a Corpse,

Dan Dare, Darkmere, Dawn Patrol, Defender, Defender 2, Defender of the Crown, Defender of the Crown 2, Deflektor, Deliverance, Deluxe Galaga, Deluxe Galaga AGA, Deluxe Pac-Man, Denaris, Desert Strike, DGeneration, DGeneration AGA, Disposable Hero, Donkey Kong, Double Dragon 2, Double Dragon 3, DragonBreed, Dragon Spirit, Dragon's Lair, Dune, Dune 2 (oops, got stuck playing that for 2 hours...),

Elfmania, Elf, Elite, Elite Advanced, Elvira, Elvira 2, Epic, Exile, Exile AGA, Eye of the Beholder, Eye of the Beholder AGA, Eye of the Beholder 2, Eye of the Beholder 2 AGA,

F15 Strike Eagle, F29 Retaliato, Fightin Spirit, Fightin Spirit AGA, Final FIght, FIre and Ice, The First Samurai, Flashback, Flight of the Amazon Queen, Flimbo's Quest, Flink, Floor 13, Fly Harder, Forgotten Worlds, Frontier, Future Wars,

Gem X, Ghosts 'n' Goblins, Ghouls 'n' Ghosts, Giana Sisters SE, Gods, Golden Axe, Guardian, Gunship 2000, Gunship 2000 AGA,

Hammerfist, Hard 'n' Heavy, Harlequin, Heart of China, Heimdall, Heimdall 2, Heimdall 2 AGA, HeroQuest. HeroQuest 2, Hired Guns, Hybris,

IK+, Immortal, Indy Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, It Came from the Desert,

Jaguar XJ220, James Pond, James Pond 2 - Robocod, James Pond 3 - Operation Starfish, Jim Power,

KGB, Killing Game Show, Knights of the Sky, Kwiksnax

Last Ninja 2, Last Ninja Remix, Leander, Legend of Kyrandia, Lemmings, Lemmings 2, Liberation, Lionheart, Lion King, Liquid Kids, Loom, Lost Patrol, Lost Vikings, Lotus ETC, Lotus ETC 2, Lotus ETC 3, Lure of the Temptress

Magic Pockets, Maniac Mansion, Marvin's Marvellous Adventure, Master Blaster, McDonald Land, Mean Arenas, Mean Streets, MegaBall, MegaBall AGA, Mega-lo-mania, MiG29 Fulcrum, Moonstone, Mortal Kombat, Mr. Heli, Mr. Nutz, Myth,

Naughty Ones, Naughty Ones AGA, Nebulus, New Zealand Story, Ninja Spirit, Nitro, North & South, No Second Prize,

Obitus, Oh No More Lemmings, Operation Stealth, Operation Thunderbolt, Operation Wolf, Overdive, Overkill AGA

Pac Land, Pacmania, Pang, Panza Kick Boxing, Paradroid 90, Parasol Stars, Pierre Le Chef - Out to Lunch, Pinball Dreams, Pinball Fantasies, Pinball Fantasies AGA, Pinball Illusions AGA, Pirates!, Prince of Persia, Project X, Project X SE, Prophecy: The Viking Child, Puggsy, Push Over, Putty, Putty Squad AGA, Puzznic

Quartz, Quik the Thunder Rabbit, Quik the Thunder Rabbit AGA, Qwak,

Rainbow Islands, Rampage, Rampart, RBI Baseball 2, Realms, Realms of Arkania, Red Heat, Real Ghostbusters Real Popeye, Rebellion, Red Baron, Red Storm Rising, Red Zone, Renegade, Renegades, Return of the Jedi, Reunion, Reunion AGA, Revenge of the Mutant Camels, Rick Dangerous, Rick Dangerous 2, Rings of Medusa, Rise of the Dragon, Rise of the Robots, Rise of the Robots AGA, Risky Woods, Road Blasters, RoadKill, Road Rash, Robin Hood Legend Quest, Robinson's Requiem, Robinson's Requiem AGA, RoboCop, RoboCop 2, RoboCop 3, Rodland, Rocket Ranger, R-Type, R-Type 2, Ruff'n'Tumble, Rygar AGA,

Sabre Team, Sabre Team AGA, Saint Dragon, Savage, Scramble Spirits, S.D.I., Second Samurai, Secret of Monkey Island, Secret of Monkey Island 2, Seek and Destroy, Seek and Destroy AGA, Sensible Golf, Sensible Soccer (all versions incl 2020), Settlers, Shadow Fighter, Shadow Fighter AGA, Shadow Lands, Shadow of the Beast, Shadow of the Beast 2, Shadow of the Beast 3, Shadow Sorcerer, Shadow Worlds, Shaq Fu, Shaq Fu AGA, Sim City, Simon the Sorcerer, Simon the Sorcerer AGA, Simulcra, Sink or Swim, Skeleton Krew, Skidmarks, Skidmarks AGA, Slam Tilt AGA, Sleepwalker, Sleepwalker AGA, Sly Spy, Smash TV, Snow Bros, Soccer Kid, Soccer Kid AGA, Space Ace, Space Ace 2, Space Crusade, Space Gun, Space Harrier, Space Harrier 2, Space Hulk, Speedball, Speedball 2, Spellbound Dizzy, Speris Legacy AGA, Spy vs Spy, Spy vs Spy 2, Spy vs Spy 3, Starblade, Star Control, Star Crusader AGA, Stardust, Starglider, Starglider 2, StarRay, StarTrek 25th Anniversary, Stormlord, Street Fighter 2, Strider, Subwar 2050 AGA, Super Cars, Super Cars 2, Super Cauldron, SuperFrog, Super Gem Z, Super Methane Bros, Super Off Road, Super Skidmarks, Super Space Invaders, Super Stardust AGA, Super Street Fighter 2/DX/AGA, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo AGA, Switchblade, Switchblade 2, SWIV, Syndicate,

Terminator 2 Arcade, Terminator 2 Judgement Day, Theme Park, Theme Park AGA, Thexder, Thunder Blade, Thunder Hawk, Thunderstrike, Tiger Road, Tintin on the Moon, Tiny Bobble, Titus the Fox, Toki, Top Gear 2, Top Gear 2 AGA, Tornado, Tornado AGA, Torvak the Warrior, Total Carnage AGA, Total Eclipse, Total Recall, Tower of Souls, Toyota Celica GT Rally, Transarctica, Transarctica AGA, Traps 'n' Treasures, Treasure Island Dizzy, Troddlers, Trog, Trolls, Trolls AGA, Tube Warriors AGA, Tubular Worlds, Tubular Worlds AGA, Turbo Trax, Turn'n'Burn, Turrican, Turrican 2, Turrican 3, Tusker, Twinworld, T-Zer0

UFO Enemy Unknown, UFO Enemy Unknown AGA, Ugh!, UN Squadron, Universe, Unreal, Untouchables, Uridium 2, Utopia,

Vac Suit Jack, Valhalla - Before the War, Vahalla - Lord of Infinity, Vaxine, Venom Wing, Venus the Flytrap, Video Kid, Virocop, Virocop AGA, Virtual Karting AGA, Virtual Karting 2 AGA, Virus, Vital Light, Volfied, Voyager,

Walker, Warhead, War Zone, Wicked, Whizz AGA, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Wing Commander, Wing Commander CD32, Wings, Wings of Death, Wings of Fury, Wizball, Wizkid, Wolfchild, Wonderboy in Monsterland, Wonderdog, Wonderdog SE, Woody's World, Worms Directors Cut AGA, Wrath of the Demon,

Xenomorph, Xenon, Xenon 2, Xenophobe, X-It, X-Out, XP8, XP8 AGA, Xtreme Racing,

Yo Joe, Yolanda,

Zak McKraken and the Alien Mindbenders, Zany Golf, Zeewolf, Zeewolf 2, Zombi, Zombie Apocalypse, Zombie Apocalypse 2 AGA, Zool, Zool AGA, Zool 2, Zool 2 AGA, Z-Out, Zyconix, Zynaps

...as far as I can tell, every game I've tried has fully functional audio on all channels, regardless of whether it is launched from disk or WHDLoad, which is where I was observing the difference in behaviour previously.

I've only tested each of these for a little while, just enough to check the audio on the title screen, in game, gameover etc. It seems with the latest firmware that everything audio just works, and it will be a rare exception if we find anything that does not function correctly.

I have noticed (probably because I have checked so many titles this week, that it seems like there is a larger variation in volume levels between games over HDM* versus the Amiga's analogue audio output. Some games are quieter than others via the normal analogue RCA connectors, by maybe 10-20% between different games but the same games over HDM* sound like the difference is more like 50-75%. It might just be my perception I guess because I was switching between a lot of titles, over and over, and I'm so used to all my devices normalising audio and music nowadays, that I think my ears have gotten a bit lazy!

Lastly, as I was testing the audio I did find a 4-5 games where the audio seemed okay but the video was either unreliable in places, or outright missing via the digital out but where it was fine via the normal Amiga RGB analogue output. I'll put the details of those into a separate post in case it helps with further improvements.

Thanks again for the update, have a great New Year! :)

Cheers! :)

I've been doing quite a bit of games testing, it's taking a bit longer than I'd hoped but I should get it finished today, so I'll post the results later on... the update to audio is super awesome so far! :)

Yep, that's definitely the cause - good find!

I didn't have VGA only enabled as I don't have a VGA monitor, so I didn't think it was needed. As with your Amiga, mine displays the pointer sprite fine with VGA only copied into the Devs:monitors/ directory, but without it, the sprite doubles in height within the right hand 16 pixels of the screen. I wonder what's causing it?

On my Amiga, there's also quite a shift in the screen's relative position within the overscan area, and an increase in the number of lines output with VGA only enabled too. I guess this is just a shift in the porch and sync etc.?

Hiya,

Firstly, thanks for helping!

I tried to mirror your settings to see if they changed any of the behavior but I still see the same effect on the mouse pointer. Your monitor timings are not compatible with my monitor/hdtvs, I have to run my 1080p mode at 148.5MHz and with a horizontal front porch of 528 for 50Hz but other than that they're identical - I don't think the 1080p timing differences are causing what I'm seeing as I've tried lots of different output modes and none t seem to change the behaviour at all.

How are you setting borderblank? it's not an option I can see anywhere in any of the preferences, so I assume it's a tool that modifies the copper list of the screen? I don't have anything like that installed or active on my operating system.

No worries at all, I can imagine how many hours you guys must work each week maintaining and developing all of the products. I'm just grateful for the genuinely excellent support you guys provide.

I noticed something today which might (or might not) be useful. It is related to the partial audio I get via the digital output of the Indivision AGA Mk3 in some WHDLoad games. Depending on how I launch the games with partial audio, I can change whether I get full or partial sound.

Tiny Bobble is a good example (but there are others)...

When launched by booting from floppy at reset/power on, Tiny Bobble has full sound on all channels.

When launched from Workbench from the same floppy, again Tiny Bobble has full sound on all channels.

When launched from Workbench via WHDLoad install via WHDLoad slave, Tiny Bobble has sound on only two channels of audio.

...but when launched from Workbench directly from the WHDLoad install folder but without WHDLoad, Tiny Bobble has full sound on all channels.

So the only combination when Tiny Bobble is missing audio is when launched via WHDLoad, and I've found this to be the same for quite a few WHDLoad games as listed previously in this thread. Now at least I am fairly sure it's something WHDLoad is doing which is directly causing this and not a patched/hacked game file, or some library loaded by Workbench itself.

Other games which exhibit the same improved behavior include Indy Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Dune, Frontier, Another World, Monkey Island 2... Basically anything that has partial audio but which you can launch directly from the WHDLoad data directory inside each install, rather than via its WHDLoad slave file, seems to have fully working audio when not launched using WHDLoad itself.

I haven't yet figured out exactly what WHDLoad is doing to confuse the Indi AGA Mk3 and make two of the audio channels go silent but I thought maybe if we users can figure that out, we might get a work around going at least for now, as there are a lot of WHDLoad games which use disk images instead of files and so can't be launched without WHDLoad. As a bonus we might also find something which makes it easier to figure out a future improvement for the Mk3 along the way.

Please may some other user/s check this when they have the time, and see if they get the same behavior? I've found a few things lately which only seem to happen on my Amiga, so I want to be sure it isn't another of those (or if it is, work out what's causing and fix my software!).

Weird, maybe it's another bug/defect in my particular Lisa chip (along with the glitching I see whenever I first power the Amiga on from cold when in DblPAL). yay. *sob*... ;)

My Workbench preference settings are (in case it's a particular sub-setting that causes it)...

Pointer:

High res

ScreenMode:

DblPAL: High Res No Flicker, 64 colours.

Overscan:
    Current Position : (0 ,20)

Current Szie: 704 x 512

When I open up the overscan preferences tool with these settings active, and move the mouse pointer to the far right of the screen, past the right border and the drag handles, the mouse pointer doubles in height. If I then set the overscan preference to wider than 704 pixels, the same thing then happens on the Workbench screen too.

At present I have my Indi Mk3 running in 1920x1080@50Hz, I tried changing this to different modes, 1920x1080@60, 1280x1024@60, 1024x768@60, 1280x720@50, 1280x720@60 but it did not seem to affect the behaviour in any way.

If anyone else feels like trying to see if this behaviour also happens for them, that would be great. I guess at least then I'd know if it's something to do just with my A1200.

Hiya,

Jens said to write this into a thread on it's own as I found it earlier today and had mentioned it in a different thread, so here goes in case it's worthy of investigation at some point...

I was playing about with the overscan and resolutions on my A1200 which is fitted with an Indivision AGA Mk3 to see if either made any difference to some flickering I was experiencing (it didn't seem to), and I noticed that if I set the overscan to greater than 704 pixels in DblPAL progressive and laced, and then move the pointer sprite to the far right of the screen, the pointer sprite doubles in height. The same also seems to happen in DblNTSC prog and interlaced too. I don't have an analogue multisync monitor to check if the Amiga's normal video out does the same thing.

Hope this is useful, cheers! :)

Hi,

Just an update, I added extra 10uF 16V, 1206 10% Murata caps (they're quite big for smt and only just fit between the motherboard and the shield!) to both the C2X and C2B, piggy-backing them on top of (or is it underneath? :) of the existing ones. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to have changed the behaviour for me. I still get the flicker on cold boot if the CCK pull-up is not enabled and then flicker after an hour if the CCK pull-up is turned on. Not to worry, it was worth a try!

Probably not related directly to this but while I was playing about with the overscan and resolutions to see if either made any difference to the flickering (it didn't seem to), I noticed that if I set the overscan to greater than 704 pixels in DblPAL progressive and laced, and then move the pointer sprite to the far right of the screen, the pointer doubles in height. The same seems to happen in DblNTSC prog too. I don't have an analogue multisync monitor to test if Amiga's normal video out to see if that does the same thing. If I find extra stuff like this, would you like me to put it into a different thread to stop the topic from wandering?

Hi Jens,

Thank you for the information and advice, I've been too busy with work to try the extra capacitor but I should have time over the weekend, so I'll report back once I've fitted it and tested things.

So if the pull-up/down resistors and CCK capacitor don't work, you need to dig deeper - my first guess would be the VBB capacitor C2X under Lisa (which I'd always top up with another 10µF), but I'd also measure if there's some noise on the 5V line - maybe from the spectrum of the noise, you can deduct what the source is (I'd look for mechanical harddrives, floppy or CD drives first).

When I checked the pcb layout it shows the C2X capacitor to be on the reverse of the motherboard underneath where Alice is located, is that correct one (I'm a little worried I'll put the new one in the wrong place if I don't double check)? Is it better to replace the 330nF at C2X with the 10uF one, or to piggy-back the 10uf on top or to the side of the original? Also, do you think it might it be worth adding an extra capacitor at the C2B location as well? It looks from the schematic that this is the main decoupling cap for the VCC connection to Alice.

I tried to read up on the VBB pin and why it is coupled to ground via a capacitor, so I hopefully could better understand why it helps to add extra capacitance but my web search skills weren't up to the task, does it maintain a reference voltage to part of the chip?

Cheers and sorry for asking more questions, I'm just trying to learn! :)

My response about my PSU was because it is a CA-PSU from yourselves at Individual. I have two of them, and they've fixed every other issue I was having with both my machines which might have been power related. I was just saying I didn't think my issue could be related to the PSU as it's one of yours, and not a flaky old one, or a wretched MeanWell hack. I'm not daft enough to challenge you on whether Amiga problems are likely power related, I'm pretty certain you know what you're talking about more than I do! :)

If I had to guess on the cause of my problem it'd be my flaky, nearly 30 years old, Lisa chip. I'm not complaining about it not working how I'd like, I'm actually just reporting it and hoping you guys can somehow work out a fix via the Indivision, to somehow compensate for Commodore's less-than-stellar chip processes and the age of my Amiga.

To be fair to Commodore, I don't suppose they designed their things to last forever, or expected people to be running their graphics chips at 4x-8x the pixel count of a standard TV either but it's fun to push the envelope a bit.

I think a lot of folks like me are pushing the resolution because we don't (yet) have the ability to easily get hold of an RTG card - I don't think I'd even be trying to use DBLPAL or higher if I had one of those. I'm just hoping you manage to release something before the oh-so-stupid-Brexit (please remember about half of us didn't vote for it) finally completes and I have to pay an additional 20% VAT on imports. Whatever the price is, it'll most likely be more than worth it to me though. :)

Hi,

I am also getting same artifacts when my Amiga is first powered from cold. I've been waiting to see if a firmware update might improve things before reporting this but since others are having a similar issue, I thought I'd better report it at the same time.

The glitching on my Amiga starts a few seconds after booting and looks exactley the same as it does in the pictures provided by wolfa. If I activate the CCKLine pull-up they disappear completely but once the Amiga has been running for an hour or so the glitching starts again, and then I have to deactivate the CCKLine pull-up to stop them - after that the Amiga behaves fine all day. Activating the CCKLine capacitance does not seem to improve the glitching, and causes occasional pixel mis-read on my Amiga if active, so I leave that switched off. Changing the PCLK setting doesn't seem to make any difference to the glitching at all.

I know this isn't the Mk3's fault, it's my Amiga that's causing the issue, and it mostly only happens in DPLPAL mode or higher on my Amiga. I've tested all firmwares and indivision tool versions up to and lncluding the v1.6. and so far whilst none have made things any worse, they haven't completely removed the issue either.

My Amiga is a 1d4 A1200 with a CA-PSU, and a I believe its got a CBM Lisa in it, in case that helps.

Just out of interest may I ask what you folks at Individual suspect is the likely cause of these glitches? Is it likely the phase or duty cycle of the CCK shifting over time and getting out step compared to another clock line, or is likely just the Amiga's CCK signal is a noisy mess, and the Mk3 has trouble locking onto it?

Cheers!

No worries, I'll do my best to be of help, apologies in advance if I get something wrong! All of this is definitely in the original post I linked to in the German section of the forum, I can really recommend just checking with that, (via Google Translate if you need to of course), in case I missed something.

I believe what you need to do is the following:

In your WHDLoad.prefs file, remove the semi-colons from the start of the following lines, changing...

Code
    1. ;ExecuteStartup=Execute S:WHDLoad-Startup ;command to execute on WHDLoad startup
    2. ;ExecuteCleanup=Execute S:WHDLoad-Cleanup ;command to execute on WHDLoad exit

...to...

Code
    1. ExecuteStartup=Execute S:WHDLoad-Startup ;command to execute on WHDLoad startup
    2. ExecuteCleanup=Execute S:WHDLoad-Cleanup ;command to execute on WHDLoad exit

...and then WHDLoad should run those script files each time a game is started up and shutdown.

The NoNetwork line that you've uncommented doesn't stop the Amiga's network, I don't think, I believe it just stops WHDLoad from doing a network check to see if the game you are trying to load has an updated loader:

Code
    1. NoNetwork ;do not connect to the internet

I think it's safe to put the semi-colon back in front this to disable it again, it won't stop you from stopping the network connection while a game runs, and WHDLoad will kindly tell you if there's a new loader before shutting the network down, so you can go and grab it from the WHDLoad website if you want to.

Also, I don't think these two lines matter, almost any of the time. I guess the NoAutoVec might in certain circumstances but the PAL one will probably just crash any NTSC games that rely on any specific timings. Unless you have a particular problem, I'd re-insert the semi-colons in front of them and disable them until you know you need them...

Code
    1. NoAutoVec ;ignore unwanted autovector interrupts
    2. PAL ;force PAL viedo mode

Next, you need to change the following line in your WHDLoad-Startup from...

Code
    1. AmiTCP:bin/offline x-surf0

...to...

Code
    1. AmiTCP:bin/offline x-surf-500-plus.device 0

...in order to tell AmiTCP to shut down the connection on your x-surf-500-plus, (just to double check... this is the device you have installed and are trying to disable, right?). The zero is just the unit number of that type of device in case you have more than one connected (but I don't believe you can for an x-surf-500-plus). People who have a different type of network device, they have to change this to match whatever device they have, and also have set it up previously in AmiTCP but for you, it should already be done by iComp's installer.

Lastly you need to change the following line in your WHDLoad-Cleanup from...

Code
    1. AmiTCP:bin/online x-surf0

...to...

Code
    1. AmiTCP:bin/online x-surf-500-plus.device 0

...so that it starts your x-surf-500-plus device back up again after the game is shutdown.

If this is all working okay, you might well have a window pop open when a game starts or shuts down that says something like "AmiTCP is put offline", and "AmiTCP is put back online" - I can't remember the exact wording but it pops up whenever I run a game on my ACA500+ machine.

Hope this helps and isn't too full of errors, let me know how you get on.

Happy trails! :)

Hehe, you're Google skills are no match for the dark side!

How okay are you with AmigaDOS scripts and running stuff form the command line (cli)? I'm a bit rusty still after so many years of using Windows and Linux but it's not too hard to figure out usually...

So I believe it's trying to tell you that one of the commands you enabled (or added) in the file that's being run at ExectueStartup (which will be the WHDLoad-Startup file by default, unless you changed it to something else?), is returning a code 10 and an error of 0. So the good news is: It sounds like the WHDLoad.prefs file is okay, and is trying to run the startup script, and it's just something in the WHDLoad-Startup file itself which is not quite right.

You can figure out which command it is by opening a CLI and entering the commands in the file until one of them throws an error - it will almost certainly be something on one of the lines which you have changed, and so you should be able to ignore any lines in the file which you haven't modified.

If you copy the contents of the WHDLoad-Startup file on here, I'll try and take a look but I probably don't have quite the same setup as you, so I might not be able to see anything, (no promises of an insta-fix!). It's probably just a path to a command that's not quite right or a typo, so don't get stressed - it'll be really obvious once we figure it out and fix it. Then you'll know what it is and won't have to deal with it ever again. Considering how old AmigaOS is, it is suprisingly robust and capable of dealing with expansions and addon hardware. Windows and Linux have 1000s of times more resource and people working on them and are still a dogs dinner even now.

This is not something I'd personally expect Jens or anyone at iComp to sort out for us, because we're using a completely unrelated peice of software (WHDLoad), to load games (of at best questionable source), from a place most were never supposed to run (a harddrive). Even if they had an army of suport people answering such questions, the universe would end before they sorted them all out.

Evening mate,

That's normal. The hardware/drivers for ethernet generate interrupts which can mess with WHDLoad I think, it's the same if you use a USB ethernet adapter too. Some games will work fine but a lot will freeze or crash if the ethernet is left enabled.

The WHDLoad-Startup and WHDLoad-Cleanup files (which are in your S: directory) have lines in them to stop and restart ethernet, you just need to edit the files and enable the commands in them by removing the semi-colons at the start of the line, and then edit your WHDLoad.prefs file to enable WHDLoad to run the WHDLoad-Startup and WHDLoad-Cleanup files each time any game is loaded, which you can aso do by just removing the semi-colon in front of the lines in that file.

If you unsure how to do that, just do a search on Google or read the WHDLoad docs, it's all in there I think - at least that's how I figured out how to do it. There is also a post in the German part of this forum on how to do it which is quite detailed, just use Google Translate it if you don't speak German

Hope that helps a little. :)

Hi,

Thanks very much for the core update, please may I ask what kinds of changes/improvements you have made, what differences you might expect us to see, and if there is anything in particular you'd like us to test?

I've just flashed the new firmware and after a reboot all seems fine so far.

I've just sat through Phenomena's Enigma demo, Anarchy's Hardcore, and LSD's Jesus on E's (in full, I now have a headache - I can't believe I used to go to raves every weekend!), all runnng from HDD via WHDLoad.

Enigma seems to run 100% fine, with no display or audio dropouts at all.

Hardcore seemed to run 100% fine also.

Jesus on E's runs fine until the last bit of the demo (which I think is the credits?). I didn't see any screen blackouts, or audio dropouts during the main demo part which lasts 30 or so mins. I did see a couple of times when the animations messed up a little but I think was just timings from running on a 030 at 50MHz and the HDD, the little fist logo in the bottom right corner never blinked out at all, nor did the TV lose sync. At the very end of the demo, when a different. non-rave audio track starts, then the screen stayed black but the music was faultless and didn't stutter, and my HDTV didn't report a loss of signal or anything.

For info purposes, my A1200 is a 1d4, recently recapped but with no timing fixes yet, powered by a CA-PSU from IComp. The Indivision AGA Mk3 is set to output 1920x1080@50Hz but with the VSync and Auto-Res both off, as either or both cause my display to fail to detect a signal. Audio is set to 96kHz, and only the CCKPull up resistance is active. It is connected to an HDTV via digital, and I am using the v1.5 Indivision tool.

The ACA1233n is set to 55MHz, pio mode 4+, vbr on and maprom off via the ACATool v2.4. MuFastROM and MuFastZero from the MMULib tools are running via the UserStartup. I don't know if this is optimal at all, it's just what it's set to at the moment in case it matters.