Posts by nuttie

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.

Hi Jens,

Are you still having problems with some web mail providers? I know it's not iComp's fault but I think my provider is on the naughty list (Microsoft), so I probably won't get the e-mail. Will there be another way to get the new version of P96 if I and others like me wait for a while? It's no problem for me to wait.

Thanks in advance,

Nuttie. :)

I'm not saying this is what's wrong with yours but in case it helps my ACA500+ did exactly the same thing when I first had it, and it was just dirt, grot and flux residue on my A500's edge connector, which was causing the problem.

I cleaned both sides of the edge connector with some IPA, and did a few connect-disconnect cycles with the power switched off, and then it just started working. It's been fine ever since, even when I've had to dismantle and reassemble it, it has never failed to boot.

Hi Jens,

Good news! The new version P96 you sent today, which contains rtg.library v42.1207 (03/02/22), did not fix the native screen mode issues for me on its own but when combined with the even newer rtg.library v42.1216 (09/02/22) you also sent, all problems seem fixed so far with DBL_PAL and all other native non-15kHz modes. :)

Thanks for sending the P96 Beta version. I've just installed it directly on top of my working P96 3.2.2 install and tried it out.

With the new P96 version, instead of the various screen changing interlace artifacts, rolling etc. the display update now seems to freeze completely for any non-15kHz modes regardless of DBLPAL, DBLNTSC, HD720, HiGfx, Xtreme etc. The Indivision AGA Mk3 OSD pops up and reports the vertical refresh rate as 0Hz. So the behaviour has changed but I am sorry to say not yet for the better.

I cannot tell if the display output from Lisa has really stopped completely, or if it is somehow outputting something that is confusing the Indivision's input stage. In case it's relevant, the Amiga's Paula audio output continues to work via the digital out of the indivision, even while the screen is frozen, so other parts of the system are working as they should as far as I can tell.

Hi,
    I've done some more checking this evening with just the base AmigaOS 3.2.1, P96 3.2.3 and the Native Chipset driver installed, there's no other software installed at all, and it is still happening.
    If I either remove the Native driver, or install P96 3.2.2 instead then the problem is corrected but as soon as I have both present the display goes a bit crazy when I switch to any display mode which has a greater than 15kHz horizontal display rate.

DBLPAL, HD720 and Xtreme are particularly bad, displaying rolling, and screen aspect problems over the top of the previous screen mode - with the screen squashed into the left side of the monitor display, and no pointer movement.

DBLNTSC and HighGfx show just the screen aspect ratio issues but with some display modes, only displaying half of the vertical lines so the pixels look chunky.

Some of the modes are also showing interlace line flicker, as if the amiga was running in interlaced mode but the output is coming via the installed Indivision Mk3s digital video out so these should not be visible and are not normally.

Is it possible this is all actually working but something is different in the data stream which the IndiMk3 is snooping and that's confusing the heck out it? Again, all of this only happens when P96 3.2.3 and the Native driver are both installed and active.

Morning all,

Apologies for posting this previously in the wrong thread...

I've updated the version of P96 from 3.2.2 to 3.2.3 on one of my A1200s which doesn't have an RTG in it but does have Thor's native chipset driver (v40.5) installed, and now if I try to use any of the dblPAL or dblNTSC modes, the screen goes narrow and weird, starts rolling like it's lost vsync, and the mouse pointer disappears. When I revert back to version 3.2.2 of P96 all seems okay again, so I *think* there must be some sort of incompatability between the two. I don't have anything else like fblit or similar installed, only P96 and the native driver. I do have the VGA only monitor in the devs/monitors directory, as this seemed to change the timings of screen output slightly, and made it easier for me to arrange and scale the output of my Indivision Mk3 AGA to my monitor.

I'll carry on testing today to try and figure out what's going on and report back but is anyone else able to check and see if it also happens for them?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi,

In case it helps, all of the problems you've listed I've also seen when I've tried to use thinner, not so well shielded HDMI cables in the past. I am not saying that's what your problem is but it might be worth checking the cable to rule it out first if you haven't already. You don't need a super-fancy expensive one, just a decent one that's not super thin or of the flex-ribbon type, as a lot of those are not shielded properly and the signals get messed up as it travels along it. For example, the HDMI cable I'm using at the moment cost about £4-5, is 2m long, and was meant for a raspberry pi. It works fine with the Mk3 at 1080p on my TV, with the output pixel clock running at 148.5MHz.

The display blinking on and off, or not displaying at all could be related to the front/back porch settings or other timings of the output video mode the Mk3 is set to, being slightly out from what the displays expect - What video mode are you running your Mk3 in? Some of my monitors and TVs are terribly picky about resolution and refresh rate settings over HDMI, so yours might be too. If you haven't already, try using the menu option "Settings"->"Re-Read Monitor Display Data..." in the Indivision settings tool, to detect the available screen modes your monitors are advertising when the HDMI cable is plugged in (you might need to have the Amiga connected via the original DB23 analogue video out -> a TV to see what you're doing).

The 1024x768 and 1280x1024 Mk3 presets worked okay for me but caused the screen to get scaled into the middle of my displays and the 1920x1080 60Hz did not work at all for my displays but again that's my displays being picky and not the Indivision's fault.

In case it's useful, these modes work for me...

1920x1080 @ 60Hz
    Pixel clock: 148500000
    Horizontal Timing:
    Visible: 1920

F. Porch: 88

Sync Len: 44

B. Porch: 148

Polarity: Pos

Freq kHz: 67.5000

Vertical Timing:
    Visible: 1080

F. Porch: 5

Sync Len: 5

B. Porch: 35

Freq Hz: 60.0000

1920x1080 @ 50Hz

Pixel clock: 148500000

Horizontal Timing:

Visible: 1920

F. Porch: 528

Sync Len: 44

B. Porch: 148

Freq kHz: 56.2500

Vertical Timing:

Visible: 1080

F. Porch: 4

B. Porch: 36

Freq Hz: 50.0000

1280x720 @ 60Hz

Pixel clock: 74250000

Horizontal Timing:

Visible: 1280

F. Porch: 110

Sync Len: 40

B. Porch: 220

Freq kHz: 45.0000

Vertical Timing:

Visible: 720

B. Porch: 20

Freq Hz: 60.0000

1280x720 @ 50Hz
    Pixel clock: 74250000

Horizontal Timing:

Visible: 1280

F. Porch: 440

Sync Len: 40

B. Porch: 220

Freq kHz: 37.5000

Vertical Timing:

Visible: 720

B. Porch: 20

Freq Hz: 50.0000

Last thought, (which I should have asked at the top of the post)... have checked you are updated to the latest version of the firmware and tool?

Hey, I believe you need to log into your shop account, and then re-download the file from your order history to get the latest version.

Hi folks,

First off, Merry Xmas at all!

This is probably a silly question but I'm in the middle of upgrading the AmigaOS for my ACA500+ with ACA1221LC attached from 3.2 to 3.2.1. Does anyone know if I should use the A500 rom image, modules etc., or the A1200 ones, since the ACA1221LC has an '020 on it? At the moment I have actual 3.2 roms installed in the machine, so it's using those. I'm guessing it should probably be the A500 ROM and library but I thought I'd check to see if anyone knew for sure.

Cheers in advance for you help! :)

Yup, I do. I get random read/write errors and even occasional reboots if the IDE speeder is active, only after an hour or two, but they don't happen at all if I have it switched off, so I think it's my current not-so-great cf->ide adapter causing it, or at least contributing to the issue.

In case it helps, I also have a similar setup: A1200, ACA1233n @55Mhz, OS3.2. KickStart 47 in ROM and I have no problems with my PCMCIA adapters.

sadzak Sorry if this is a silly question but have you reinstalled the compact flash and Fat95 drivers etc. after your clean install?

No worries at all, that's why I didn't link them in the original post. Please feel free to delete the others too if it avoids the possibility of generating further grief for anyone.

I am happy to make stuff if there's nothing else available but if there might be at some point I am also happy to wait. I've made a couple of those open-source unbuffered interfaces in the past, because there was nothing else available, and they have worked okay for me but I know not for everyone. I haven't the skill to design a buffered one myself, and no time to learn how, so I'm more than happy to try and help support those who do.

...In fact thinking about how that type of device is attached straight to the data bus, usually with a wonky, cheap CF or CF adapter plugged into them, that might well explain why a lot of real Amiga 1200s glitch out randomly every now and then, my own included. The same software image run on WinUAE is totally stable, as is my ACA500+ since I switched to using good quality real CF cards in it.

Is there anywhere else we might be able to get a buffered interface, or an open source one we can build? There doesn't seem to be a single one for sale anywhere on Ebay at the moment, and AmigaKit are, well... I would personally really prefer not to have to deal with them based on my previous personal experiences, and also their current seemingly hostile and overreaching behaviour towards others in the community.

The ones I installed were...

MI0805K400R-10 Laird Ferrite Beads 40ohms 100MHz 1.5A Monolithic 0805 SMD

They were the only ones Mouser had in stock at the time, in the right size, same Mhz and _roughly_ similar resistance to your recommendation. So I figured they were worth a try.