Posts by Maliboy

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.

Yes, it is possible that the SATA DVD Rom makes the trouble. But the chance that a cheap IDE2SATA Adapter doesn't has implimentat the complete ATA command list is also possible. Most of these adapters are made for hard drives, not for cd/dvd.

Thank you for this fast answer.

Of course it is a pity for me that the idea was rejected, but I can understand it. I maintain that most people want the adapter for exactly what andrewuk184 writes: Connecting the original keyboard to an emulator (here a C64 Raspberry, but I can also imagine the A500 Mini).

I just started Google again and found an active USB to PS/2 adapter (but not yet a dealer who sells the part).

The easiest way would be to get an original A2000/A3000/A4000 keyboard (which is now impossible if you don't want to sell your kidney), because with a little soldering and an adapter you could also use it directly with an A1200. Unlike the A500, the A1200 no longer has the controller in the keyboard frame.

Will it get a PS/2 Mode, so that I can use it with the LYRA Adapter (and can then use the MK3 Keyboard Feature)?

Well, my opinion about the Checkmate case is well-known... make sure you're using a DC-DC converter-based power supply. Anything else will cause lots of pain locating an error that seemingly wanders with new hardware installed.

I think, the case is not the Problem. The problem is the PSU and for the A500 Mainbaord the Extension Board.

I plan (my case is still in the basement since the relocation) to use the CA-PSU with the 12V from the SFX PSU because with an A1200 you have to run cables to the outside anyway to supply the board with power. (So I can also use the CA-PSU). Also, my PSU is very Small (200 W) so the 5V Rail is (I hope) stable.

I do not know how the SUM adapter handles multiple keys at the same time, but knowing that n-key-rollover is a whole different protocol on USB, my expectation is that it won't use that mode.

I have never checked this. But it's always interesting what I can learn in this 'support forum'.

Since PS2 covers that all, the most sane way to solve this problem would be to add the PS2 protocol into Keyrah V3, so it will be able to interface with Lyra3.

This will be very nice and for me a reason te rebuy the Keyrah and a Lyra Adapter (But Maybe I show, where I can find the Signals from the A500 Keyboard. I think, they are on the Same Chip as the Lyra Adapter Used. So I can maybe also Use a A2000/3000/4000 Keyboard (which, If I have seen it right, all use the Same KEY-CLK and KEY-DATA Lines like tha A500 Internal).

Jens

Maybe he has also as SUM Adapter to use a USB Keyboard with the AMIGA (like I do).

The Problem is: If you want use the Original AMIGA Keyboard with the Checkmate Case you have only the Keyrath Adapter if you have an A1200 For the A500 its much easyer because here the Keyboard has an own Chip and only some wires, but the A1200 has no Connectors for this Signals, so buying a A500 Keyboard is also no option.

As I have read in antoher thread, you plan a new version of the Keyrath because Chip shortage. Maybe this Version can also make a PS/2 Keyboard with the Original Amiga Keyboard, so we can use the LYRA Adapter with the Keyrath.

Additional Information: If I have search it right, since revision 1e of the motherboard the A1200 has the CN17 connector with the Important Signals for a Keyboard Adapter (KB Test). You found there the KBClock, KB_DATA, KB_RESET Signal.

My Problem is, that I have an 1D board. And here I have get this Signals direct from the PCB. Not my favorite way.

If you show at the Schamtics of the A1200, you can see that the A1200 has the same Keyboard Signals as a A500. One Board Revision has Also a Connector. So Theoreticly I can get this Points, put them on a DIN connector and then I organize a A500 Keyboard and solder a Longer cable on this Keyboard.

All possible. But the charme of a A1200–>Keyrath–>USB–>SUM Adapter is, that I can also take my Mac Keyboard (USB) as temporary solution, if the Amiga Keyboard broken.

I know, we are in the Retro Computing Scene here, but the truth is: PS/2 is dead.

Sometimes I think you make life too complicated for yourself.

If you will produce a Product, USB-C to AMIGA Converter (PSU) and you are saying: The USB-C power supply must comply with the current specifications according to USB-PD you are (in my humble opinion) not liable. You have maybe some support ask here, but I think, not much more as you have with the other PSU units.

Also I think, that a Standard AMIGA will not need so much Power. The Original PSU was an 25 Watt power supply. That are 25% of the maximum USB-PD Power. And The AMIGA has (in a default configuration) never used this power.

But that is just my own opinion and you can do that, what you think is the best for you and your company. Also you have a better few of all your customers and support cases as I have.

Aah thank you for this information. THis was always my main question. How will it possible to pu 70W over such a small wire. But If I can increase the voltage, it make sense.

Correct me, if I am wrong, but USB (C) has only 5 V or? So you have to Step up this to 12 V for the 12V Rail. And As I remember, you Need 12 V for the Floppy (OK, maybe many use a Gotek) and the Serial Port (Maybe also not used often).

Jens

Thank you for the Information that you not know which Pixels inside the Pixelrange (768x576) are active.

I have reread from there the difference of the PAL Resolutions comes (768, 720, 704) and the main Problem is the PAR. And this is with the Amiga 1 (Square) and not 1,0667/1,904 (Non Square) which comes from changing from analog to digital in the Video technology (learned something again).

The main problem was, that I have ignored that the MK3 is a FlickerFixer which will convert the video out of the AMIGA to Signals which modern Monitors will understand and not only a converter AMIGA2HDMI (like the RGB2HDMI Project with the Rasberry where I would be interested to know how they solved the PAR problem).

720 pixels wide is less than the full overscan of an ECS computer. I am totally with Timm that this is not useful for an Amiga.

OK, you are right that PAL in DVB Standard has also 768x576 Pixel, which the AMIGA can also use in Oversan mode. But which Resolution most of the Games (or Demos) have? 320x200/320x256. Maybe 640x200/640x256. Overscan was only use an Workbench and here we have with the MK3 the SuperHires Mode. But for Games 576i with a Resolution of 720x576 is (in my humble opinion) is enough. The Benefit is, that such an Resolution will be Zoom from the TV without Black Bars in Top and in Button.

The Main Problem is that 576p50 will maybe not Work with the TV (in SDTV it was not a standard) and 720x576p25 has a to low Framrate. With 720x576i50 it will work (SDTV Standard) but this Resolution will only Work in the Non Interlaced Amiga Modes without Flicker.

@xarynorm

I Think, the Problem is, that the MK3 will give out 50 Full Frames. The HDMI Port will maybe only Accept 50 Interlaced Frames or 25 Full Frames with this Low Resolution. Maybe, you can reduced the HFreq to 15 KHz (Original PAL) but as I wrote above, this such a low Frequence you can only use the Low Resoltions without Flicker (and I don't know if you can reduce the HFreq so much with the MK3 because the Main Function is the remove the Flickr and convert Interlace to Progressive. Maybe it is much easy to use the Standard Scart Cable.

Jens

You are right. there is no controll instance that will check if all of the spcifications of HD ready realy work. I will remember that Phillips has in the beginning very big problems with HDCP, even they have the Logo.

Also, I am no expert what the EDID descriptor have all for Inforamtion. But Video was alltime a Kind of Hobby from me and I know from my life, there is a differnet beetween what has to do and what done. If the EDID will always work and are correct, why every device which I have used in the last years has a test function to test the resolution? I alwas don't know, if EDID are also used inside consumer electronic or only because HDMI is compatible to DVI.

Timm

Why is the resolution too low?

This is the Standard PAL resolution. So It makes sense to use this for LowRes and HighRes (Not for LowRes Interlaces and HighRes Interlaced) because the Upscaler in the TV knows this Resolution and can fit it to the native Resolution of the Panel (OK, some TV will stretch it to 16:9 and that looks horrable).

The only Idea I have, why it will not work is, that the EDID Information maybe wrong. it Means 720x576i50 and you will send 720x576p50.

Interessting for me is, that if I look in the englisch Wikipedia for EDID, there is NO Preset for 576i fir 720x576@50 (Interlaced). Only for 720x576@50 progressiv. But I know, that I can send interlaced signals over HDMI.

You are right, But 720p50/720p60/1080i50/1080i60 must working, if your TV has the HDready Logo. Also I think,576i50 and 480i60 must working (but here I am not sure) if the TV has the HD ready Logo, even the panel of the TV has a complitly differnet native resolution.

Once again. I am speaking of an consumer TV, not of an Monitor with HDMI/DVI Input. And why EDID has to send resolutiosn, which are not used from any computer and every consumer device knows, that they are working?