Amiga Powersupplies

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Didnt find any better place to ask. There is one thing i simple dont now about the original PSU's.

I have several of the following commodore PSU's :

- A500 4.5 Amp as 5volt 1 Amp on 12 volt

- A300 (A1200/A600) with 3 Amp on 5 volt and 500 mAmp on 12 volt.

Should i use the A500 model on an A1200 with Rapid road, ACA1233 and Indivision AGA MK2 or can i just as safe use the original A300 psu as supplied by commodore for the A1200?

Mostly i read that the 4.5Amp is preferred when extra hardware like an accelerator is added. But i can also imagine that modern hardware like the ACA1233 use less power to operate as long as the PSU is in good maintained condition.

If this is the case, then i will get the A300 PSU recapped too.

• The 4.5A version is indeed preferred. However, without precise measurements, I can't give a definitive go/no-go for the 3A version. I personally test with a 3A unit (labelled A600, not A300), and that test/development machine uses an Indivision AGA MK2, Randy-ROM, Lyra 2 and a Micromys by default (machine is open all the time). The new versions of the ACA1233n (including the 55MHz version) were developed on that setup.

Re-capping is always a good idea, but please make sure to either meet or exceed the voltage and temperature rating of the caps.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.