Use "power switch" (ACPI sleep) for vice menu/vice quit/Retropie shutdown

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • On RetroPie 3.5 installed on a Raspberry Pi 3b+ I was able to use the "power switch" when held up for >1s (usually mapping to ACPI sleep signal) for the following tasks:

Inside vice, enter the vice menu (instead of using "arrow up" as described in the wiki). Simply add inside sdl-vicerc

MenuKey=1073742106

(instead of MenuKey=281 for arrow up)

It is also possible to quit vice instead by using this button, but you will need to patch the vice sources. This can be done by first completing the "install from source" process for vice, start the "install from source" process again and interrupt it sometime during compilation. Then go inside "/home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/tmp/build/vice" and run something like

Code
    1. patch -p1 -i vice_keyrah.patch

with vice_keyrah.patch containing:

For emulationstation, a similar modification (power switch held up for >1s) to shut down the raspbian can be achieved by applying the patch (install emulationstation from sources, install again and interrupt the process in between), with emulationstation_keyrah.patch containing:

Of course, in both cases you need to copy the built executables to the correct location, I did this manually:

Code
    1. sudo cp /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/tmp/build/emulationstation/emulationstation /opt/retropie/supplementary/emulationstation/

and

Code
    1. sudo cp /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/tmp/build/vice/src/x64 /opt/retropie/emulators/vice/bin/

(and/or the other vice executables like x128 etc.)

Maybe these hints can be of some help...

• Thank you! I just registered to get information on how to actually use the ACPI switch to power off the Rpi.

BUT is there a way to power ON the machine via the switch?

I know in theory, yes, but it doesn't do anything without extra code like the one up there for retrostation

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.

• :)
    • :(
    • ;)
    • :P
    • ^^
    • :D
    • ;(
    • X(
    • :*
    • :|
    • 8o
    • =O
    • <X
    • ||
    • :/
    • :S
    • X/
    • 8)
    • ?(
    • :huh:
    • :rolleyes:
    • :love:
    • 8|
    • :cursing:
    • :thumbdown:
    • :thumbup:
    • :sleeping:
    • :whistling:
    • :evil:
    • :saint:
    • <3
    Marks thread as resolved after post creation.