Left direction stopped working on Competition Pro Retro

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Dear iComp team,

When I tried to use my Competition Pro Retro today, I found that pressing it in the left direction does nothing.

Connecting another joystick works, so it's the CPR that has stopped working, not my computer.

Any idea what could have happened? It was working just last week. It isn't modded either, just the stock joystick that suddenly stopped responding to left presses.

Thanks and kind regards!

• Some people like to store the cable by wrapping it around the joystick. This has lead to breaking one or more cores of the cable for other customers - mostly at the front of the joystick where the cable enters the case. Try to move the cable to see if the "left" direction starts working again at a certain angle.

(BTW, why do you write in the English section? I thought you you speak German?)

• Thanks, you've found the problem: The cable seems to be broken just *outside* the strain relief.

It's just a bit surprising because I'm aware of this and rarely wind cables, and I never wind them tightly. I kept this joystick un-wound and ready to play. However I do move it around a lot, so maybe I strained it without noticing. In any case, I'll be more careful from now on.

Do you happen to have a spare cable for me to solder in?

(I speak both, and your English is immaculate - if it makes no difference, I opt for English as it is understood by a wider audience of the forum. If you prefer German, please let me know)

• Do you happen to have a spare cable for me to solder in?

We do have spare cables, but they use different colour coding, and the price is almost half of what the joystick costs. If you can solder, I suggest to shorten the cable by a few cm and continue to use that cable.

I opt for English as it is understood by a wider audience of the forum.

Fine with me!

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.