Dead ACA500Plus

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

my ACA500+ died. I turned my A1000 on and I got a sparkle then a bit of smoke out of it. It had been working perfectly since many months. Inspecting the board i can see the Xilinx Cpld 9572 surface with signs of a burnt.

I was wondering if it's possible to get such cpld as replacement. Or if it's possible to get a repair somehow. Obviously I'm willing to pay in both cases.

Thanks

• It is not certain that it's only the CPLD that died. This is a programmed part, and the Jedec files for it are not public. The CPLD mostly breaks along with the two chips on the DisMo - and this happens mostly to users who do not observe the instructions and place this A500 product on an A1000 despite clear instructions not to do so. So for anyone reading this: The ACA500plus is a product for the A500 only.

Obviously, we need to have the card here in Germany to verify if it's just the CPLD, or also the DisMo that broke.

Since the defect is very characteristic and has happened to other users before, we have introduced protection diodes on the next production run. These diodes will short out the +12V and -12V rails that are damaging the 9572 CPLD and the DisMo, letting two resistors burn. These resistors are labelled "resistors of shame" - guess why :-) We still need to test if the new circuitry really protects the more valuable semiconductors, or if it's just an indicator for us to show that the card was improperly connected.

• Please read what I wrote: We need to have the card here in order to see if it's just the CPLD or also the DisMo that broke. So far, we're repaired every ACA500plus.

• Just send the card to the company address. We're not *that* big, and if a parcel from Italy arrives, we'll know what to do. Please include your complete return address within the parcel.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.