List of FPGA cores that could be ported to Chameleon hardware

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • SUGGESTION:

Would it be possible if the owners of this forum create a table, which is sticky and always on top, that always would hold the latest core-supports for the v1 and v2 ? Kinda like in the first page of this thread -- but just....super updated :)

• I was approached with the suggestion to port a TI99/4A core. I wonder if there is a vivid scene around that computer? I mean, it's an interesting architecture, a 16-bit processor@3MHz from the early 80s. I even found a demo, but are there notable games?

Yes, I find that very interesting. Last year I happened upon the TI-99/4A and bought two of them and restored them. If you like, you can have a look at the elko change I carried out here: TI-99/4A EU PAL 1981 V2 - New electrolytic capacitors

The TI community offers games under this link: FlashROM 99 & FinalGROM 99 - Repository

This Link could be interesting too: https://ftp.whtech.com/

Cheers

SID-6581

• As this core is in an early stage, porting it to TC64 probably does not make sense now. But what are the odds that this core is portable to TC64 at all?

That core's sudden appearance came as a real surprise! I immediately downloaded it and did a dummy build against an FPGA in the same class as the Chameleon64's Cyclone III, to get an idea of the space required:

Total Logic Elements: 42,312 (The TC64 has a little under 25,000)

M9Ks (internal memory blocks): 441. (The TC64 has 66, and my SD Card / Menu framework needs 12 of those)

Admittedly that includes emulation of both 1541 and 1581 drives, and also some video stuff which isn't applicable to TC64 - and it might be possible to move some of what's currently in internal memory into SDRAM, but realistically I don't think there's much hope of this core fitting the TC64.

• Hi!

I use Chameleon v2 both as a cartridge and as a standalone with a docking station.

And I am delighted! I don't need any other cartridges anymore, except maybe the diagnostic ones that come with additional hardware/cables,

I haven't had time to thank Mr. Robinsonb5 for all the hard work he's put into making Chameleon cores.. Simply wonderful and amazing!

I use them all, but mostly Minimig AGA and NES lately. My Amiga works stable and fast! ;)

But I have one question, is there a small possibility that cores for Mega 65 or maybe Commander x16 will appear in the future?

It would be great to skip buying all that expensive new hardware and have Chameleon for "everything". ;)

Of course I support every effort invested in the development of retro hardware, software and retro community in general and I try to buy all the retro gadgets I "need" :)

But still it would be a great option.

p.s.

For me, it would be the only "real" c64 to c65 upgrade! ;)

Thanks once again to everyone who participates in the constant development.

Greetings

• But I have one question, is there a small possibility that cores for Mega 65 or maybe Commander x16 will appear in the future?

It would be great to skip buying all that expensive new hardware and have Chameleon for "everything". ;)

Mega65 is not planned to be open-sourced, so I wouldn't hold my breath for a core port. However, the 8-Bit Guy (maker of Commander x16) is stating in his FAQ that the design will be open-source at some point, so there's a chance we can port it to Chameleon. We don't yet have a 65c02 core, but it shouldn't be too hard to implement the extra CMOS opcodes.

On the other hand, he might just use the 65c02 variant because nothing else is available at that speed, and ultimately, he may even prefer a fast NMOS-compatible 6502 with all the illegal opcodes that the C64 and C128 have. After all, the 8-Bit Guy is an all-time C64 fan, so he may not require the additional CMOS opcodes.

For me, it would be the only "real" c64 to c65 upgrade! ;)

TBH, the C65 was doomed to fail, because it created a new platform. The concept was similar to the C128 with a fallback to C64-compatible mode, and if you have that, you'll always have the software producers thinking "what should I support? The new thing that not many people have, or the widely adopted C64?" - the answer for a commercial programmer would have always been: The C64, because you have a much broader audience. As a result, any "similar"platform would have dried out due to lack of software.

• I don't understand the whole concept of the Mega 65. lookwise it looks like a Commodore 65, a computer that was never released or mass produced and never really became anything. So no nostalgic value.

As far as I understand it's compatible with Commodore 64 software? If so, what's the point? Since it never became anything, any hardware benefit it would have over a C64 would not help since no software that would take advantage of it was made. And if someone makes some software now it would be because a few people have Mega 65s and not much software will come out of that. It's on a hobbyist level.

So is the purpose to have a Mega 65 to run C64 software and games? if so, we already have C64s and things like the TC64/TC64V2. As far as I understand it could run other cores aswell, but we already have FPGAs that do that.

I mean, it's cool and everything that they make stuff like this, but I struggle to really see what the goal/placement in the market for this unit is. It's based on a product that was never released. Taking away any nostalgic factors or software library that never came to be. I highly doubt that people will suddenly start to make thousands of games or programs that would take advantage of the hardware benefit the Mega 65 would have over a C64.

Edit: As an example the TC64/TC64 V2 is an expansion enhancement for C64 that happen to also be able to run in standalone mode and can run other cores. So it has a specific purpose and place in the market. Ultimate 64 is a replacement for the C64 motherboard with alot of enhancements. Mist is a FPGA unit that can run various cores and don't try to be anything specific, just as the Mister and some other FPGA units. So they all have their places and goals.

The Mega 65 tries to be something that was never released with no software from back in the day written for it. So it ends up being something that will run mostly C64 software and probably some other cores. So it's basically a C64 that can run some other cores I guess, but looks like a computer that never came to be. I guess this is cool enough for some people.

• So is the purpose to have a Mega 65 to run C64 software and games

While there is a separate C64 core for the MEGA65 the team behind it actually is creating a new platform. Maybe the MEGA65 could in short be described as the development of a computer of what the Commodore 65 should have been, but on steroids. And there actually is some software already developed for MEGA65. But if you take a look at the MEGA65 specs you could surely argue, why don't they just use an Amiga?! The answer is simple. Some people just want a computer system that represents what the Commodore 65 should have been. But on steroids. ;)

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.