List of FPGA cores that could be ported to Chameleon hardware

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.
  • I would absolutely love to see a 128 core, but I know I am in rare company. I'm one of the few people who appreciate the VDC.

What I would think should be more realistic? A SuperCPU core maybe?

Yes the VDC properties are nice (though glitch-y), the rest of the 128 architecture is a bit of a mess unfortunately. Building a accurate replica with all the quirks will be a nightmare. And because the Chameleon hardware itself doesn't work on a C128, we kind of try to ignore this topic ;-)

A SuperCPU comes up quite often in discussions. However if you look realistically there are only a handful of programs that really use the 16 bit instruction set of the 65816 processor. Most of the SuperCPU titles just want the faster speed that is already covered with the existing turbo functionality. Designing a new core for running just two extra programs is a bit meh.

• A SuperCPU comes up quite often in discussions. However if you look realistically there are only a handful of programs that really use the 16 bit instruction set of the 65816 processor. Most of the SuperCPU titles just want the faster speed that is already covered with the existing turbo functionality. Designing a new core for running just two extra programs is a bit meh.

It depends how you look at it. I get a good bit of use out of my SuperCPU 128, more than 2 programs for sure :-p.

A SuperCPU core is not something I'd die on the hill for, but i just see it as long hanging fruit. The hardware is already there. The buttons are already there. SuperCPU are going for cRaZy amounts on eBay, I mean as in $2,500+ for a 64 version to $5,000 for a 128 version on eBay. There are at least 2 different attempts ongoing to clone it, that may never pan out. There's got to be some sort of demand for a clone? Also most other cores are entire other platforms, this is for a 64 expansion.

Compared to other cores, wouldn't this be much easier? Aren't there open source 65816 cores out there? The SuperCPU core could ignore other 64 core features. Wouldn't it be a long night or 2? ;-)

I'm not an FPGA developer and just thinking out loud here. How hard would it really be to implement a basic SuperCPU core with no bells and whistles?

• What I would die on the hill for is an updated Minimig core! Is there any chance of this? I'd love to see a core coming closer to where MISTer is these days. I'd also die for the Minimig core to be mapped to the 64 keyboard!

-Edit-

I'll ask robinsonb5 over in the Minimig v2 thread, but last time I asked him he didn't seem too interested in pushing it any further beyond bug fixes.

• Aren't there open source 65816 cores out there?

None that I would know of - at least not with the test-depth that you'd require to call it a 65816. Further, almost all programs that are "SuperCPU compatible" don't make use of the 16-bit mode of the processor, so why go to the lengths of testing the CPU in a months-long process if practically no software will use it?

Seriously, please list the programs that require a SuperCPU - it will most likely be easier to port them to the Chameleon turbo than to make a clone of a hardware that almost nobody has.

• Hi!

Tried this core today morning, and it works really well! Most of games I tested were OK, I could play i.e. Prince of Persia and Metal Mutant without issues. Some games did not start, i.e. Alley Cat, some others needed a mouse driver to run properly (Laser Squad, Dune II and Street Rod). I used the CuteMouse, as it's open source: http://cutemouse.sourceforge.net/ Perhaps it would be practical to add it to the boot image. I noticed that autoexec.bat doesn't work, despite adding 'ctmouse.exe' it didn't start automatically during boot. Implementing a decent sound card (Adlib or SoundBlaster) would be nice, but I don't think these exist in FPGA version...

I think this core is underrated and less-known, hidden in this forum topic, perhaps it would worth to list it on the TC64's wiki or at least make downloadable on retroramblings, as the PC Engine, Minimig and MSX cores are...

Cheers, and thanks for your efforts: Gábor

• I think this core is underrated and less-known, hidden in this forum topic, perhaps it would worth to list it on the TC64's wiki or at least make downloadable on retroramblings, as the PC Engine, Minimig and MSX cores are...

Cheers, and thanks for your efforts: Gábor

Yes, I shall give it a proper download page at some point - I do want to try and solve the OPL3 emulation problem first, though. (And I haven't done that yet because I got sidetracked into creating, testing and now implementing a vbcc backend for a new CPU - which I hope will find uses in core-porting in future.)