Lyra 3 Tool - Connected keyboard does not support the Lyra programming interface.

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I've been trying to get the Lyra 3 Tool to run to allow me to map a couple of custom keys, but I keep running in to a dead end.

Seems about all I can get out of it is the error message 'Connected keyboard does not support the Lyra programming interface.'

I assume the 'keyboard' in this case is the Lyra 3 it self... though I have tried several different PS/2 keyboards to no avail.

Perhaps I'm just doing something wrong, but here goes:

The Lyra 3 Tool was installed with the install script.

I'm opening a CLI and going to where Lyra3Tool is...

I'm trying the 'Lyra3Tool SAVETO *' expecting it to dump the config to the screen, but I get the 'Connected keyboard does not support the Lyra programming interface'.

It then just leaves the Lyra in a state that is no longer workable. I can no longer type or reboot with Ctrl-lA-rA key combination.

Any insight or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

• Lyra 3 does not accept any commands "just like that", as this would be a security risk: A piece of software could re-program keys without you knowing or wanting. You therefore have to put Lyra 3 into configuration mode and then lift the write protection:

http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/Lyra…ce:_lift_write_protection

If I remember right, the tool gives you some time to do this action before it returns the error message. It's been over ten years, so I'd have to read the docs myself.

Jens

• I was trying to keep the message simple, but I guess that wasn't helpful...

There is not enough time to put the keyboard into programming mode and lift write protection before I get the error. I also tried putting the keyboard into programming mode and lifting write protection first, and running the program with the mouse/without any arguments and also got the same error immediately.

I'm assuming the program should be prompting me to put the keyboard into programming mode when required.... but hard to say.

In any case, I no longer want to remap keys, but it would be nice to know that I can.

• The keyboard connection is the same on all Amiga models, but may be different on a CD32, as that doesn't have real CIA chips. Since you didn't write what type of Amiga you have, this may be the root cause. It does work for many other users, so it's definitely not a general problem.

Does the scroll lock LED blick if you go ito config mode?

Jens

• Yes the scroll lock blinks to acknowledge that the Lyra is going into programming mode when I press left shift pause.

I've attempted to use Lyra3Tool on both the Amiga 2000 and Amiga 3000 and the result is exactly the same.

Everything in your instructions around the software-less programming seems to work fine... eg: Tab will output the configuration, but I'm unable to get Lyra3Tool to do anything but tell me the keyboard doesn't support Lyra programming.

Is it possible I got a lyra2 or something by accident?

Is there a way to identify it?

• Is it possible I got a lyra2 or something by accident?

That's more than unlikely, as the features of Lyra2 are much more limited, and it's been sold out some time in 2009 or 2010 if I remember right. I don't even have a sample unit left in stock! On Lyra2, you will see "icomp.de/l2" if you press pause without any qualifier.

Maybe it's a software thing? I don't actually know if the tool works with OS3.2, as it has been developed on 3.1. Further, timing has to be very exact, so if CIA access is somehow mangled by an accelerator, this may be a source of trouble.

There's a bar code on the sticker of your Lyra3. Can you please scan that (should be easy to do with a scanner app on a mobile phone) and post the exact sequence of characters here? I can then look up if there's a special entry in our database about that unit, or just in general when it was manufactured and who put it through QC.

Jens

• Ok, I pressed pause with no qualifier and it typed out 'icomp.de/l3' ... so that seems to be definitive.

There are no stickers on my lyra 3 adapter.

I'm using Amiga OS 3.1

The 3000 is not accelerated, though it is a stock 25Mhz model.

The 2000 has a TF536 in it currently.

• There are no stickers on my lyra 3 adapter.

Is this a used unit? Lyra3 is a non-bulk item, so it has a unique ID assigned to it. This is encoded on the white sticker that is on the black casing. The sticker has the exact dimensions of the case and covers one of the screw-sides. If you see the screw from both sides, someone has removed the sticker and voided the warranty.

Jens

• We have all shipments documented in photos and weight, down to a fraction of a gram. Please let me know the order ID, and I'll send you that documentation.

Jens

• It is possible I am just wrong, but I do not recall seeing a sticker and have no idea why I would have removed it.

Order number is:

In any case, the device is hardly worth shipping back let alone trying to claim any kind of warranty on while it appears to be otherwise working as designed.

• That was shipped in February 23rd, 2022, so it's out of warranty anyway.

I might have found the reason why you're removed the sticker, as the photo documentation shows that the sticker was lifted a little on one corner. I have sent the PDF to the eMail that you've provided with the order.

Still, re-programming the conversion table should work. I will investigate the other case you've opened to see how fast the ACK comes and if that works with a new Lyra3. Since there have been no real bug reports about Lyra 3 in many years, your two observations might be explained by an ageing RC oscillator and the chip just running too slow. This would be a convenient explanation for both cases you've raised, but I have to verify that - so "not really convenient" :-)

Jens

• I replied to your email, but yes the sticker looks very badly falling off. I'm wondering if you intended to replace it, or if it just got stuck on something else along the way around here. I don't recall seeing it or pulling it, but it has been some time.

Thank you for looking into the other issue.

• The "very badly" part is debatable. The sticker is not a regular paper thing, but a waterproof plastic label that sticks really well. Even with one corner liftet a few mm, you still need willful action to remove it. This did not happen by accident. I'd think that the person who packed it just pushed it down and considered it OK.

We could re-print the label here and include it with something that you order next time if you want the label on the product, but I'm not planning to ship it as a single item.

Jens