Indivision MK3 and Ultrawide - Help

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi All, new MK3 user here, so far I'm impressed by the video output quality.

However, I'm using an ultrawide 3440x1440 - 21:9, I've downloaded the software to use in the Workbench environment and I'd like to ask the following:

- any settings recommendations for such monitor resolution?

- how can I prevent games from being stretched and losing aspect ratio?

Thanks! :)

• First of all, Indivision AGA MK3 cannot drive each and every of those pixels, as the maximum output resolution is full-HD, often referred to as 1080p or 1920x1080 pixels.

Games mostly use PAL or NTSC screens, so you should adjust these. Note that you can have multiple output modes for a single Amiga-mode, which can be switched with the live config feature (keyboard - see manual).

In order not to trigger the monitor's scaler (possibly washing out pixels and adding movie-"enhancements"), you should attempt to output a resolution that is a whole-number division of the actual resolution. In your case, I'd try creating a 1720x720 mode and adjust the picture with padding-pixels left and right, so the monitor thinks that the black bars are actually part of the picture you want to see.

Jens

• Hi Jens, thanks for the explanation, I'll definitely give it a try.

I'm also tinkering with the configuration software a bit more and I managed to get good results on a different monitor (a Dell Ultrasharp), at least in the 800x600 PAL settings, need to improve the WB space.

For the Workbench environment, I'm using PAL High Res, it's a 1600x1200 monitor, but haven't managed to get a "pixel perfect" resolution there yet, I'd appreciate it if you have any suggestions.

And sorry for the noobish questions :)

Those are the specs if it might help:

Resolution

Horizontal scan range 30 kHz to 81 kHz (automatic)

Vertical scan range 56 Hz to 76 Hz, exception 1600 x 1200 at 60 Hz only

Optimal preset resolution 1600 x 1200 at 60 Hz

Highest preset resolution 1600 x 1200 at 60 Hz

Video Supported Modes

Video display capabilities (DVI playback) 480p/576p/720p

Video display capabilities (Composite playback) NTSC/PAL

Video display capabilities (S-Video playback) NTSC/PAL

• For the Workbench environment, I'm using PAL High Res, it's a 1600x1200 monitor, but haven't managed to get a "pixel perfect" resolution there yet, I'd appreciate it if you have any suggestions.

1600x1200 is a good aspect ratio for the Amiga. However, "pixel perfect" is hardly possible, given that the largest overscan at SHires is under 1600 pixels wide (1536 pixels if I remember right). So you'll have to live with black bars around your screen if you want it pixel-perfect (and with multiple-pixels-high on the Y axis).

Did you try the 1280x1024 screenmode from the HighGFX package yet?

Jens

• As an update, I've set the ultrawide monitor NOT to fill the whole screen, but to keep the 4:3 aspect ratio, after I've applied in the 800x600 PAL mode 1400x900 in VGA mode, and I have to say that even if the picture is a tiny little bit stretched horizontally, the overall output is really good.