ACA1221LC and ACA500+ how to get more Fast ram?

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Running great with OS3.2 roms but I'm only seeing 9.4MB fast ram...I've ran the ACATool but still same amount? What's the max amount I can get with ACA500+ and 1221LC ?

• The CPUs of the ACA500plus and ACA1221lc both only have a total of 16MBytes of address space. From that, you need to deduct Kickstart, IO registers (chipset/CIAs, Zorro space) and Chipram, then you have the total addressable memory.

Since the address space of the ACA1221lc fully overlaps the ACA500plus, the memory on ACA500plus can't be used.

The ACA1221lc already does it's best to fill all the available gaps with memory. It actually has 16Mbytes physical memory, but you can't see it all . The card does support switching to the "invisible" areas in hardware, but to date, there is no sowtware that makes use of this feature. Probably because the only sane thing you can do with it is a RAM disk. You will never be able to make that other memory usable as fastmem.

The only way to get more memory is to use a CPU with full address space, like a 68030, 68040 or 68060 CPU. The ACA1234 comes with 128MBytes of memory, and the ACA1240/1260 will come with 256MBytes of memory.

What's your (memory-eating) application?

Jens

• In my experience I can preload almost all whdload games pretty fine all the way down to 3MB available fast RAM. Even Monkey Island 2 and Fate Of Atlantis preloads pretty fine with this RAM amount. Strangely enough. Only official game that needs around 10MB available FAST RAM is Beneath a Steel Sky, to preload properly. For Beneath A Steel Sky one can just use a HD install anyway, as it does not have a copy protection.

• Thanks for the explanation, just wanted to know if it was possible to get more Fast Ram in case I was missing a setting etc. Nowadays even one or 2 pictures can be more than 9 MB's and I do like to mess with my pictures/images/effects etc. on my miggies