Buddha Plus One With CF Card In IDE Slot

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

I have a new Buddha Plus One card that I’m really enjoying. I am trying to get one of the IDE ports on the Buddha One Plus to connect to my Compact Flash Card that I have mounted in my Amiga 3000. I still have not figured out how to get the card or the CF hardware to show up at all on Workbench. I’ve tried the Buddha Plus One jumper settings in multiple different configurations, but still no luck. I’m sure it’s some simple problem to resolve. I also understand that CF cards from the Buddha One Plus (not the internal one only) but even ones connected via an IDE Port are not hot-swappable so I understand that. Any help with being able to use my other CF card mounted in my Amiga via the Buddha One Plus IDE port would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Joseph

• I’ve tried the Buddha Plus One jumper settings in multiple different configurations

This sounds like "trying out" rather than reading up on what the jumpers do. Are you sure that you haven't damaged anything with your attempts?

The A3000 has a SCSI controller on-board. How did you connect a CF card to that? If it's a SCSI to IDE adapter, it may map the blocks in a different way, so the card will be seen as "unformatted" or "invalid file system" if connected to the Buddha.

First wuestion would be if you've tried the installer, HDtoolbox or any other tool to "see" the card? Or did you just hook it up and expected to see the contents on WB?

Jens

• Hi Jens,

I did read all about what the jumpers do, but had no luck in anything changing so decided to try different options. Yes, no damage to anything at all. I actually got it working in realizing that the card will need to be formatted using the Buddha Installer using the DOM. Once I did that it is seen properly by the OS though I still can’t get it to appear in HDToolBox even though I’ve set HDToolBox to “buddhascsi.device” in properties. Any ideas on that? Thanks for your help.

Best,

Joseph

• This is purely anecdotal: I had a Yamaha SCSI-to-IDE and a CF adapter in my A3000. Because the SCSI cable is very old and brittle, it repeatedly gave me errors on even minor concussions of the A3000. So I took the CF card into the Buddha+1, disabled the Onboard HD, and never looked back since.

Edit:

Yes, I understand that this wasn't the question. But you should perhaps first try and make sure that the CF works from the CF slot.

• Hi Timm,

Yes, the CF works perfectly from the CF adapter. Just have to figure out why it’s not seen by HDToolBox, but is seen on startup. Not a huge deal since it’s working, but would be nice to know why it doesn’t see it.

Thanks,

Joseph

• though I’ve set HDToolBox to “buddhascsi.device” in properties. Any ideas on that?

Read the documentation :-) (supplied on the DOM).

The port's name on Buddha Plus One is buddha.device, and the next port actually uses 2nd.buddha.device and 3rd.buddha.device. HDToolbox will automatically go through the next device names if you set it to buddha.device.

Jens

• It's not mentioned in the short paper manual, that's right. I should probably update that.

However, doesn't the installer offer to read additional documentation? I'm pretty sure that this is the case, as I normally view text files with "type", but when I read that documentation, it was definitely with the "more" tool.

Jens

• hi jens , i got today myn buddha plus one card here , but the card don't work in myn aa3000+ and test it on myn a2000 and don't work even , when i put the card into myn zorro slot of the aa3000+ then i get the ks screen , i start sysinfo to check the card's on myn zorro bus , but sysinfo say there is no card on the zorro bus , when i test the buddha on myn amiga 2000 with a apollo v4 firebird , the 2000 wil not boot with the buddha card , so i don't know what is wrong wit the buddha but the card is not seen in myn system's

i have test the card in a empty a2000 , then it boot from the dongle , but when i test the buddha on myn aa3000 wit a turbo and myn other 2000 with a turbo card the buddha don't works , alle the card's are gone

• While you did confirm vial eMail that you've got it working now, it would be nice to know for others how you've resolved it. Was it just the cleaning of your slots that I suggested?

Jens

• Jens

It's amazing how programmers and engineers fail to include this info in the manual. The buddha minus one is NOT backwards compatible with the buddha ide. I replaced my buddha ide withe the buddha minus one and locked up my A3000T, I found out the binddrivers was the cause, I commented it out in startup and was able to get it working that's when I determined buddhascsi.device in dosdrivers was the cause. So now I need to remove any mention of buddhascsi.device. I now have an issue with the DOM not installing the CD drivers on the CF so I can't load OS3.2 from my CD. I find out when I go to install the CF the buddha minus one format BDH0 and BDH1 when I re boot the partitions are still there with the old install of 3.1 but NO cd installed. So far, the buddha minus one is buggy. I had a lemon buddha IDE and now I have a lemon buddha minus one. for close to $300 I got lemons. Thanks Jens, and Timms!

• The list of devices and assignment of ports and device numbering is clearly documented in in the README on the DOM.

With some ASCII diagram and table.

The changes were also in response to customer feedback, including yours.