Indivision AGA mk3 in A1200 with A500 PSU

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

I'm having this wierd issue that my monitor says "no signal" when my Amiga is powered on. This was from the start.

I then read that others had success with booting the rescue floppy, so I did.

But then after power cycle I'm back to "no signal"

Another observation is that I get "no signal" if I happen to reboot and the rescue floppy re-runs.

When I have "no signal" I can recover by running "flashtool saveconfig 1920x1080.conf", some times even just one or two "flashtool info" will do the trick.

Now, this is very much less than ideal, as while inside say, lemmings, running flashtool is impossible...

What may be my problem, what can I do to remedy this?

My machine has KS 3.2.2 and a Gotek recently bought from Amigastore.eu

• You have one of the rare A1200 computers that keeps the FPGA in Indivision AGA MK3 from starting. So far, we've only had this issue on computers that were located "behind a customs border" - one in USA and two in Britain if I remember right. The only German customer who reported this doesn't answer my eMails any more, so I have to assume that he's not willing to send me his board for investigation, as the solution I have provided with the "reset" tool is good enough for him:

Individision AVA MK3 4000D/CD32 no signal at all

Jens

• Not this upcoming weekend, but next after that. I'll dissassemble both my A1200s and I'll try the other motherboard in this setup.

The one which isn't behaving nicely witht the Indivision is an Rev2A board (detatched mouseport) sub pcb style Amiga.

Would it be possible to get the mk3reset as a rommable module, so that it would also let me play Pinball Dreams ?:)

• The MK3 reset tool only needs to be started once after a power-up, so you could just put it in the first line of your HD startup-sequence and boot the computer once after power-up. Then insert the floppy, keyboard reset, and you'll be playing Pinball Dreams on your flat screen.

ROMable module or the same in a bootblock of a floppy might save you the HD-boot, but who owns a flashable Kickstart thing? Besondes, that would be a workaround only. I'd rather get to the bottom of this - and unfortunately, it's not just "a Rev.2A board" - I have plenty of those, and none of them show this behaviour.

Jens

• You have one of the rare A1200 computers that keeps the FPGA in Indivision AGA MK3 from starting. So far, we've only had this issue on computers that were located "behind a customs border" - one in USA and two in Britain if I remember right. The only German customer who reported this doesn't answer my eMails any more, so I have to assume that he's not willing to send me his board for investigation, as the solution I have provided with the "reset" tool is good enough for him:

Jens

It turns out it's once again the PSU related problem.

I swapped out the PSU now, and the Indivision works as advertised so to speak.

Though, swapping the PSU out for a RetroPassion UK A1200 Duo+ PSU moved the problem to the PCMCIA network card, but that's not iComp's issue :-)

So it's not the motherboard Jens , it was the A500 PSU. Even when it was powering just the A1200 and the indivision it wouldnt' work. I guess that original A500 PSU needs a recap or something like that.

• RetroPassion UK A1200 Duo+ PSU

This is advertised as "with trim potentiometers for 5V rail" - and with long cables. This means it does not use cable drop compensation. And the technical data hints at the chassis being used to be a MeanWell chassis with too-high ripple. So although priced way beond reasonable (probably in an attempt to appear of high quality), this means that the PSU can only be suitable if it's adjusted by a technician to the target system, and then the target system shall never change it's power consumption. This is not possible, because modern CMOS hardware consumes power "according to load", so a static adjustment won't cut it. In other words: The product description contradicts itself be spitting out specifications that violate the requirements that were put out by Commodore. This PSU is not suitable for an expanded Amiga.

If you're still in the revocation phase, you should return this unit and get the CA-PSU - for half the price. It's even more powerful, has better ripple and remains the only one on the market that has cable drop compensation, lowest ripple of <30mV and controlled up/down ramps during switching on /off. Oh, and it's the only one on the market that is covered by a product liability insurance. I am very confident that this will also solve your problem with the PCMCIA card (we've had those problems, too, when we developed the network install disk a few years back).

Jens

• Just checked: RetroPassion got a CA-PSU in January. If you call and ask them, they should be able to exchange the unit for a good one for you - and refund the difference.

Jens