Keyrah V3 and Strange A500 keyboard Caps Lock activity in Linux only

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello Tobias,

I hope you had a good weekend.

Please see attached the logfile relating to the USB keyboard. So this is the activity with only the USB keyboard plugged in.

Typing some letters, pressing caps lock, typing some more letters, pressing caps lock again and then typing some more.

Re the setleds suggestion. Again, only with the the USB keybard plugged in, I am able to drive the LED for caps Lok (interestingly pressing the caps lock key on the keyboard does not light the LED, but the correct case is presented when typing!)

• Nope, sorry, no raspi 4 here - i tested against Windows 10 and Linux (Gentoo, on my PC).

In any case, the problem is quite obvious - No LED events are being sent at all, perhaps you can find some clues about this in the Raspberry community?

• Remove the whole RPi range from the compatibility list because a single distro removes caps LED support? This is clearly a software problem, not a hardware problem. Also, it should be possible to change that LED behaviour - it's non-standard and might cause trouble with more keyboards.

I'm currently downloading a RetroPie image, will try that on a spare RPi3B that I have here.

Jens

• So I have found a hacky way of getting around the problem. If you run this command at startup:

echo keycode 58 = Caps_Lock |sudo loadkeys -

Then Caps lock works as should on the Amiga keyboard.

Just want to re-iterate the comment I made at the beginning of this thread. I knew it was never a hardware problem with Keyrah as my tests with Windows were perfect. I think the whole concept of this device is awesome and appreciate the difficulty in interfacing 30 year technology with modern day tech :-)

• Also Jens, just to save some time if you were playing with distros. Same Caps Lock behaviour on:

DietPi

Ubuntu 23.11 with UI

Raspberry OS, Bookworm Lite

Raspberry OS, Bookworm full

Haven't tried anything else. I think adding to the Wiki is a great idea. I mean the Keyboard works aside from that one element. If people know they can make their own choice if it is a deal breaker for them.

The line noted above does get round the problem. I configured it to autorun every time I reboot.. When the emulator is running the response can be a little laggy, but better than the alternative.

I'd be curious for feedback on RetroPi.

• Created a script in the home folder called amigasetup.sh (need to chmod +x to make it executable [sorry I know you know this!].

For reference this is where I found the issue and gave me the idea: https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=70385

In the script add the following:

Shell-Script
    1. #!/bin/bash
    2. echo keycode 58 = Caps_Lock | sudo loadkeys -

Then create a service in /etc/systemmd/system/, I called it amigasetup.service

add the following code:

save and follow these steps:

1. Reload the service files to include the new service.

Code
    1. sudo systemctl daemon-reload

2. Start the service

Code
    1. sudo systemctl start your-service.service

3. To check the status of the service (particularly useful because it didn't work properly to start with!)

Code
    1. sudo systemctl status example.service

4. To enable your service on every reboot

Code
    1. sudo systemctl enable example.service

5. To disable your service on every reboot

Code
    1. sudo systemctl disable example.service

Hopefully you can just copy and paste most of this into the wiki if you think it will help.