ACA1234 vs FastATA 1200 MK-V or 4XIDE with Gayle adapter

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello Mr. Jens, I am considering purchasing the ACA1234 card, however, I would like to ask about the compatibility of the IDE Speeder with devices such as the FastATA 1200 MK-V CF/SATA controller from ELBOX or 4XIDE from the FastIDE Gayle adapter board. Do the accelerations on the external port add up? Does it make sense to use them together because all solutions give Pio4? Will the FastATA 1200, which sits under the kickstart chips, not cooperate with the Map Rom in the ACA1234?

• I would like to ask about the compatibility of the IDE Speeder with devices such as the FastATA 1200 MK-V CF/SATA controller

That's a 32-bit extension (still PIO, although they call it DMA-something), and it generates it's own timing. It will fail if you switch on the IDE speeder.

or 4XIDE from the FastIDE Gayle adapter board

This is also something that generates it's own timing, so not suitable for use with the IDE speeder of the ACA1234.

Both units will work with the ACA1234 if the IDE speeder is switched off. You might want to try what's faster: Removing the "accelerators" and activate the IDE speeder, or keep the original units in place and see how much the added CPU power will improve the performance. It may be a tie, but I have my doubts that any of those expansions will beat the performance of the local CF card slot. My prediction is that you'll end up using that, and remove all the other heat-generating accessories from the computer.

Does it make sense to use them together because all solutions give Pio4?

PIO4 only describes the length of the access, and a minimum pause between accesses. What you also have to check is actual pauses between accesses, as this is one of (if not the) defining factor for measured performance.

Will the FastATA 1200, which sits under the kickstart chips, not cooperate with the Map Rom in the ACA1234?

MapROM happens on the accelerator, and FastATA can't change anything there. The reason why it's on the Kickstart sockets is that it needs to gain access to the 32-bit data bus of the A1200. It does not mess with Kickstart at all (a missed opportunity, if you ask me).

Jens

• :)
    • :(
    • ;)
    • :P
    • ^^
    • :D
    • ;(
    • X(
    • :*
    • :|
    • 8o
    • =O
    • <X
    • ||
    • :/
    • :S
    • X/
    • 8)
    • ?(
    • :huh:
    • :rolleyes:
    • :love:
    • 8|
    • :cursing:
    • :thumbdown:
    • :thumbup:
    • :sleeping:
    • :whistling:
    • :evil:
    • :saint:
    • <3
    Marks thread as resolved after post creation.