Cold boot - sometimes a black screen

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Evening

I notice sometimes that my aga mk3 will power up from a cold boot with just a black screen and no overlay.

One thing i noticed is that this only has happened a handful of times but each time my gotek has had a bootable adf set, like a demo or an application disk, so when the machine initially turns on it would its booted to this..

Can that sometimes cause the Mk3 not to initialize ?

I have never had the issue yet when ive just booted straight into Workbench from a cold boot with a blank adf set in the Gotek.

Regards

Tim

• Reports of Gotek drives going haywire in Amigas, causing Indivision units to fail go back to 2012, when the MK2 version was new. Back then, cases were resolved by using different power supplies and putting ferrites on the power supply of the Gotek drive.

You might want to check your PSU and cross-check with a physical disk drive. If the behaviour is different, you have your culprit.

Jens

• Ok thanks Jens . I will take your useful advise and test with regular floppy drive.

I do have a new power supply- its this one

(link removed)

if you have a recommendation on a power supply , what do you use on your Amiga 1200?

i do have my orignal supply still but given its age thought it best ti use a new replacement.

• I do have a new power supply-

That is known-bad, as it uses a PSU chassis that does not know about the cable between source and sink. Please read our PSU FAQ, then send that thing back for false advertising. You'Ve been fooled into thinking that the PSU is suitable for an expanded Amiga, when in reality it isn't.

I'm not saying that the flickerfixer will start without problems with a better (for example the original) power supply, but I know that the one you have there is not suitable. Reason is that we have reports of boards that have a startup-problem even with our CA-PSU. However, I cannot verify these reports, because those people are not willing to send the board and power supply to us for measuring what's going on.

Jens