Bvision Program failed error

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Thanks - that explains it: Your PCI bridge is not listed in the autoconfig space, so the driver refuses to load. TBH, I don't know if that means you have a hardware problem, or if the PCI bridge is added to the autoconfig chain by software (so your CVPPC would just need a flash update). You should attempt to get that second entry in the autoconfig chain before you try anything else with P96.

Hint: Please update your P96prefs program to V47.12 from Aminet, that version is a bit more verbose with it's error output and will tell you why most of the GUI options are greyed out.

Jens

• Hi

In my "normal installation"! CGx4 all works like a charm. Atached you have the showcgfconfig output.

I think that I never get the bvision listed in the autoconfig.

If I remember, It doesn't work really nice with the last flash update with PCI menus and I reverted to the last with no Grexx support.

With the last P96mode makes the same.

I've make the last update available http://www.phase5.a1k.org/files/FlashUpdates-26042002.lha and I get 3 more items in the autoconfig. You have the showconfig attached.

This flashupdate doesn't work fine with Cgx4.

P96 makes the same with the firs Cv and the second Cv

I revert to the update http://www.phase5.a1k.org/files/FlashUpdates-09042000.lha To be able to use the amiga with RTG, but if you need some tests with the 2002 update I can reinstall

Thanks

• This is the output of whichamiga from the last amiga session.

We make functionals test of two BlizzardPPC040 25MHz/240MHz an one Blizzardvision. (OS3.1 and CGX)

Very old firmwares were installed and we had no ppc experience.

We had the same issues with the firmware.
    One BlizzardPPC works stable with the latest version and the other not.
    Another thing, one BlizzardPPC shows the serial number in whichamiga, the other not.

But i dont know which BlizzardPPC it was anymore

ps: this was a nightmare, loud, hot and at first very instable,

pps: in the end, all run stable with a CA-PSU

• Thanks for this detailed testing, and thanks for chiming in, rolle. Does your reference to working and stability just apply to CPU operation, or do you also use P96 with that setup?

@doraemonppc - I fear that you have a different revision of the hardware - one that we know exists, but we don't have available for testing. I hope you're open to more testing?

Jens

• Jens we tested following with Quake successfully:

• 68040 + AGA
    • PPC + AGA
    • PPC + RTG (CGX)

The first step was OS32, mmulib, P96 3.4.0, but these were too many unknowns in combination with our Iack of ppc knowledge.
    so we decided to keep it simple and known working: OS31 + CGX

main goal was to check the hardware after >20 years storage.

the ppc hardware (is not mine) is still here in my place. but i can not promise any testing this year.

• While we're working on the next iteration of initializing the PCI bridge, please do use the latest P96prefs from Aminet. The error messages from that tool would be very helpful.

Jens

• With the GRex flash http://www.phase5.a1k.org/files/FlashUpdates-26042002.lha

Bvision and PCI in autoconfig (3 lines) but don't work with CGX4

or the one that works fine with CGX4 (but no bvision in autoconfig)

http://www.phase5.a1k.org/files/FlashUpdates-09042000.lha

??

While we're working on the next iteration of initializing the PCI bridge, please do use the latest P96prefs from Aminet. The error messages from that tool would be very helpful.

Jens

• Usually, I do not respond here as I'm not icomp's first-level customer support, however, let's be nice...

Sorry, but the response provided is not quite helpful - in particular, could you please follow the advice given to you? The board driver does not reset anything. So if there is a reset, it is not due to P96. The workbench clearly does not show anything unless modes are setup and unless the worbench screen mode has been changed. Until then, video goes through the native Amiga video out (the "RGB" port). So please connect a monitor there, potentially using the DBPal or DBLNTSC Screen. You can enable them in the boot menu. You reach the boot menu by holding both mouse buttons and reset the machine. Then (for 3.1.4 and above) press RETURN to switch to a 31kHz mode a standard VGA monitor will likely able to show.

Then, one step after another:

a) Please download P96Prefs 47.12 from Aminet and install it. For example, into SYS:Prefs

b) Please download cv2.zip from above and install it. The card file in the ZIP there goes to LIBS:Picasso96

c) Ensure that there is a CVisionPPC monitor icon in DEVS:Monitors.

d) Check the tool types of this monitor icon with the workbench "Info" menu. It should contain one tool type saying "BOARDTYPE=CVisionPPC". If not, adjust this tool type accordingly.

e) If you made any admustments with the icon, reboot the machine, again booting to the workbench, on a monitor connected to the native VGA out.

f) Open the (freshly installed) P96Prefs. You should see one element saying "CVisionPPC" that is maybe or maybe not greyed out.

g) If the element is greyed out, please click on it. Tell me what the right hand side has to say. It is probably (but I do not know) "Board driver not loaded", but I do not know. Yes, I do need that string.

h) If the element is greyed out, open a shell and go to the directory containing the P96 "lha" or "disk". On the top level, you should find a file named "FindCVPPC". Please use the "CD" command to change to this directory, e.g.

CD RAM:Picasso96Install ;adjust path according to where you unpacked your product.

i) Enter the following commands on the shell:

FindCVPPC

echo $RC

and please provide the output.

j) back to step h), if the element is not greyed out, the driver is ready to take action. Click (if not already done so) again on the left-hand entry "CVisionPPC", then on the right hand side on "Add Default Modes". You can now check which of the modes actually work with your monitor and potentially adjust them. Never mind at this time. Click on "Save". The Preferences will now request a reboot. Do so.

k) Your workbench will still appear on the native output. Go to the "Screen Mode" preferences settings. Select one of the CVisionPPC modes. Click on "Test". If it does not work, select another one. Finally click on "SAVE". Your workbench appears now in the CVisionPPC mode. You can still adjust these modes later by the P96Prefs program.

As communication through this forum is quite lossy and troublesome, you can also get back to me via email. You find my (valid) email address in the P96Prefs.readme of the P96Prefs release in Aminet.

Thanks,

Thomas

• short feedback:
    My PPC System 040 25MHz/240MHz (FlashUpdates-26042002) + BVision and complete autoconfig
    runs out of the box with a clean OS3.2.2.1 and P96 3.4.0.

• All version of CVisionPPC.card (43.22, 43,25, 43.28) work with both BlizzardPPC 040 25MHz/240MHz (rev.0 and rev.2) and the BVisionPPC.

"FindCVPPC; echo $RC" shows always "1"

PPC Voxel Demo runs on his own RTG Screen. (only tested with CVisionPPC.card 43.28)

Rev.2 in post #33 and #24

Pictures of the rev.0 tests:

boardtype_1.0.lha

• This indicates that @doraemonppc 's hardware is different. Since this is built on Cypress CPLDs (programmable parts), it's going to be lots of trial and error to find out how it's initialized. To my knowledge, the contents of these CPLDs haven't surface anywhere (yet?).

Jens

• There are only 2 models, rev.0 and rev.2. i heard never of a third one.

DCE delivered always rev.2 and upgraded phase5 rev.0 to rev.2

The following could say something about the CPLD content/functionality:

ex Phase5 people: Carda, Keller, Knäbel, Zhang and Salvadore :-) or DCE, the CGX guys, the MorphOS guys

• There is not much new in this version - basically a source clean-up that works the same as before, but testing can never hurt.

We've also looked at the NetBSD sources, and they also only check for the PCI ID, no other magic before or after that. So it really boils down to "use the latest version, make sure you have mmulib installed". The underlying assumption is that doraemonppc neither uses the original P5 processor libraries (which specifically open the PCI address space), nor Thor's MMUlibs. The latter are called by the driver to make sure that PCI space is open, and no bus error is thrown.

Jens