Indivision mk3 screen centering issue

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I’ve set mine up following numerous guides but I still have this issue (see pic)..

This is on a Dell 2007 4:3 monitor with 1600x1200 resolution. The Indivision settings are set to the monitors native resolution, 1600x1200. So why doesn’t it fill the screen? Overscan won’t change it. I can’t alter the monitors ratio setting (1.1, aspect or fill) it’s stuck on fill! 🤷🏻‍♂️ The shift/ctrl/tilde function just makes it worse. Can’t resize it as it distorts the text and moving it just creates a grey bar to the right. 3 different monitor models make no difference.

Any ideas good people?

Do analog signals even have pixels? Aren’t there just lines that are drawn?

Technically.... a "pixel" does not equal a "dot" :) In the analog world, there exists a certain speed at which the beam moves from left to right and "draws" the screen. Now the chipset changes the color at a certain frequency, which produces the "pixels" (and the maximum frequency the chipset is capable of is what defines the horizontal resolution). Ideally this results in fragments that are as wide as high (ie square pixels), but in the real world this is often not the case (eg a bunch of "classic" PC resolutions for example are stretched or skewed in one way or another).

So yes, in the analog world "pixels" are basically "line fragments". However, when the signal is sampled and converted into digital (like Indivision does - and which is also what a modern monitor does with analog signals), each of those "line fragments" will (ideally) result in a single square dot, and the monitor will display a single dot per such fragment (if the resolutions match, else more scaling comes into play). And this is the reason for why some resolutions can not fill the entire screen on a modern monitor (without further scaling).