ACA 1230 Clock Speed verification

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • This is a 28MHz card. The CPU was probably exchanged for the higher MHz rating (technically, the 25MHz CPU was overclocked by 3MHz), and the MMU, which won't really serve any purpose for 99% of the users, but people want it for bragging rights.

Jens

• That's probably just "for nostalgic reason" - back then, I thought that the EC030 CPUs were inferior, but you really don't see a difference. On the other hand, if you have a use for the MMU (such as hunting for bugs with Enforcer), it is really useful.

We've also made very good use of the MMU with our Graffiti drivers - some 27 years ago. So it's not completely useless. If it works, I wouldn't touch it. Even though it's in a socket, it's a risk to exchange it.

Jens

• A side question: I already have an ACA 1230-42 and it has an MC68EC030RP40B installed. The icomp Wiki lists the 42mhz card as a full 68030. Would that cpu have been replaced also?

Q2: Do ACA Accelerators permit a external fdd connected? Mine is giving NDOS on a Gotek and fdd. I ask because my Apollo Icedrake A1200 won't boot with an external fdd connected.

• The icomp Wiki lists the 42mhz card as a full 68030.

There have been different versions - whatever CPU I have found back then was installed.

Q2: Do ACA Accelerators permit a external fdd connected? Mine is giving NDOS on a Gotek and fdd. I ask because my Apollo Icedrake A1200 won't boot with an external fdd connected.

My A1200 accelerators don't mess with floppy drives. Only the ACA630 and the ACA500plus can swap drives or switch off drives - that would be selectively, if the user chooses to. However, I have never implemented this for the A1200, as I didn't see a use case.

Jens