MK2 flashing screen then eventually boots and works after multiple tries

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • My MK2 works, but it takes many tries to boot initially. It starts up to a flashing white line on a black screen. Powering on and off (not quickly), I keep getting this, but eventually it works. Once it does work, I can reset it and power on/off just fine. Is this typical? Is there a technique I should be using? (I’m using an NTSC setup.)

• No, this is not normal. First thing to do would be making sure all ICs have proper contact in the sockets... to do that, "half open" the sockets, and move the ICs a bit back and forth, so the pins are scratching against the contacts.

• This sounds like a power supply warming up, slowly reducing ripple while it's getting warmer. This is a typical behaviour of dry electrolytic caps and/or an overloaded power supply.

Please describe your complete system, including everything that's in the C64RMK2 ZIF sockets, but also external things that may take power. Don't forget to mention the type of power supply you're using.

Is this PAL or NTSC?

Jens

• :)
    • :(
    • ;)
    • :P
    • ^^
    • :D
    • ;(
    • X(
    • :*
    • :|
    • 8o
    • =O
    • <X
    • ||
    • :/
    • :S
    • X/
    • 8)
    • ?(
    • :huh:
    • :rolleyes:
    • :love:
    • 8|
    • :cursing:
    • :thumbdown:
    • :thumbup:
    • :sleeping:
    • :whistling:
    • :evil:
    • :saint:
    • <3
    Marks thread as resolved after post creation.