Graphic corruption A600 ECSv3

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi, I've got graphics corruption that is getting worse. It used to be workbench every now and then, but it's now pretty much all software fairly quickly Only happens with the ECS attached, but identical corruption is also happening to the RGB out when it occurs

I've recapped PSU, recapped the A600, run RAM test on the memory expansion, I saw a post about not having pin 35(? I think) through connected on the memory expansion, and as far as I can tell this is not the case*

I'm out of ideas - any help you can offer?

* the ram expansion isn't one of yours. its labelled ex601. I'm not sure which way the pins are numbered, but as far as I can see there are no traces to any of the pins that *could* be pin 35

Also when the corruption first occurred generally reseating the expansion board cured it for a bit - it's so tight in the a600 that it gets squashed a bit I think - so I'm guessing maybe an issue on the edge connector? It's been thoroughly cleaned, but I have no way to test further. Certainly with just the ram expansion attached but no ecs I'm not getting any errors and ram check passes fine.

• The ex601 is a straight copy of the A604n, but I have no idea which version they copied. Can you take high-resolution pictures of the expansion where I can see if pin#35 of the Denise socket is connected to anything?

• Here you go. I think I checked the possible locations of 35 and they are null trace.

The kaynar is where I lost a pad taking the socket off. All the pins have been continuity checked to the edge connector both at the time and again recently when I was trying to rule that out as an issue.. Obviously there is still a potential cause here as it has been worked on, but hopefully if this is so you can say double check this pin, or buy a new one.....

The only other 'clue' I can offer is that I recently added a furia and this is really where problems started to become more noticeable. The Amiga is absolutely fine with Furia + RAM expansion but no ECS so I dont think it is a direct problem, but there could be some relationship with power draw or increased amiga side frequency I suppose.

• What's the power supply you're using?

I indeed don't see any trace going to pin#35, but since routing of the clock port lines is on the bottom, the pin#35 trace would be on top, as it would need to cross the clock port lines.

Power can indeed be an issue. The PLLs in Indivision ECS need a low-ripple power supply, as spec'd by Commodore. Ripple goes up with load on most power supplies.

Jens

• Currently a600 s/m 'light' but have a heavy on order.

You may be able to confirm voltages.

Open circuit ~5.1v measured 4.85 at Amiga

Open circuit ~14v measured 12.65 at Amiga

Open circuit ~-4v not measured at Amiga

So the o/c -ve is definitely weird but also the pin I couldn't get to in the back of the socket to check under load I understand it powered e.g. serial port, but this does work absolutely fine as I use it regularly with Amiga explorer

• Heavy PSU arrived. So far I still have graphic corruption, but I haven't done any checks on the new psu so can't rule out completely.

Which pins provide power to the ECS - I can check those too incase theres a bad solder joint maybe.

• You're measuring voltages, not ripple. 4.85V under load is on the edge, should be higher.

Pin numbers on a socket are counted with notch-up, starting top-left, counting counter-clockwise. This means that top left of Denise is 1, bottom left is 24, bottom-right is 25, counting up to top-right, which is 48.

Jens

• OK I'm going to temporarily(?) park/close this. Just had an 8hr soak test with no problems. I have done lots of little things - in testing each one at a time none individually solved the issue but all together it seems so far stable.

For reference:

New 'heavy' PSU recapped

Rebuilt VGA profile from scratch

Currently running on different monitor + cable

Turned on double buffer and graffiti

Added the ground strap from ECS to case

Fingers crossed now!

• Just reporting back in case anyone else has the same problem....

So it was fine and then it wasn't again. Pretty hot day, so was thinking heat? Also kinda ties in with it getting worse recently (its summer), and the furia addition.

Fitted a case fan and so far we're good again. On soak test now. I'll keep you updated

• I believe you're seeing a combination of heat and voltage drop. The Furia card is heavily overclocked and therefore needs the same attention as an ACA1221lc running at 40MHz: Clean 5.00V low-ripple supply measured under load at the floppy power connector of the A600.

If the fan solves it for you now, that's great. However, long-term I suggest you'll buy a CA-PSU (once it's back in stock).

Jens