Radeon 9250 Problem

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

I have a new Mediator 4000D board in my Amiga 4000 and exchanged the Voodoo 3 (which runs generally well using P96 3.3.3. after the recent blit mask fix) by a Radeon 9250.

With the Radeon however, a HiColor or TrueColor Workbench firstt shows odd colors (see Screenshot), resembling the appearence of a paletted conversion. If I however start Palette

Preferences (which opens a new screen), the workbench immediately goes "normal" (as on the other screenshot).

Also, if I run DukeNukem3D and quit, the workbench looks as if someone did not properly restore the palette on a paletted display mode.

Generally, switching between screens seems to trigger the probelm as well as the cure, but I cannot see the pattern right now. For example having just two screens (WB in 32 Bit, Duke 3D in 320x200 256 colors) and toggling between these screens makes both of them randomly show "a wrong palette" and returning back to normal after more switches.

I have good reason to blame this on the Radeon driver, but there is no other and the card is of particular interest as it might be the most modern option availble for the amiga, as it provides large amounts of display RAM (128MB in my case), graphic acceleration that really feels faster than my Voodoo 3, and digital output to modern monitors. So any idea/fix/workaround would be a big thing. Can also provide a card for testing.

Best,

Pain

PS: What determines if screens are draggable? On my GBAPII++ it appears randomly and might be linkted to available display memory, for the Voodoo or Radeon it seems just unsupported ?

• I'll ask if Thor has seen this bug before.

Please see readme/history file. I'd have to check myself, but I'm time-constrained on Mondays..

Jens

I told him already. He does not have the board. I can send the Radeon board to you or him for testing, but need to keep the PCI busboard.

Thought the pictures may point you at something helpful.

Will check history to learn abouth the screen dragging.

• I'm sorry for giving false hope here: THe Radeon driver is not ours, but it's an Elbox driver. It's old, buggy and not maintained at all. Your request does not belong here, but you should address Elbox. All information about how to implement screen dragging is open in our Wiki, not even a registration required.

Jens