Combing effect with Indivision AGA MK3 on PAL Highres interlaced mode

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi Icomp.

I have a question about the combing effect that appears on objects moving horizontaly with the Indi AGA MK3, such as the mouse pointer or in games such as Prince of Persia under Shapeshifter Mac emulator using 256 colors PAL Highres interlaced screen.

I have understood that this comes from the interlaced resolution and i have a similar artifact on same resolution and mode with the scandoubler of the ZZ9000 board.

BUT, i am puzzled that i have no combing effect in this same mode with my old Indivision AGA MK1!

I have tried this on a setup which is a clone of my main rig with MK1 instead of MK3 and it does not appear at all. All i can say is that the picture is crisper with the MK3 and a bit blury on the MK1 on this monitor (i remember it was better on an older LCD i had at the time i bought the MK1), but i don't think the slight bluryness could mask the combing artifact.

Is there any technical explanation about the difference between MK1 and MK3?

Is there any way to supress the combing effect at all?

Besides, i also have a new still in box never used MK2 AGA not CR. Would it work like MK1 or MK3 regarding this artifact?

Best regards.

• Hello again.

I have made further tests with again the Indivision MK1 and also an external D520.

The D520 does the combing effect, though much less noticiable in motion than with Indivision MK3.

And finally the MK1 does it but it is very faint compared to every others, i can only see it when watching closely and paying much attention.

Difference in some filtering maybe?

• We've had other discussions like this in this forum - though I can't remember if German or English.

The effect can't be removed by any flicker fixer, as it comes from the fact that sprites (=mouse pointer) are not interlaced, but moved across the screen at 50Hz update rate, while the graphics are interlaced, and technically only updated with 25Hz. The root source of the "problem" is the Amiga chipset, not the flicker fixer - Indivision (and other products) merely make it visible, but it's always there, even on a 1084 monitor.

Jens

• Sure but is there any technical explanation about the differences here between Indi mk1 and mk3?

No, not anything technical, as they do the same thing. I can only speculate that the VGA output of your MK1 goes through a scaler on your monitor, but the digital output of the MK3 doesn't.

Jens