SIDPlay and Chameleon.

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello,
    does anyone know if I can make SIDPlay program work with Chameleon to play SID files directly from File Browser?
    If yes - which version exactly?
    I know, that Chameleon has its own built-in SID player, but I would like to use SIDPlay program and can't make it work at all...
    Thanks in advance. :)

make SIDPlay program work with Chameleon to play SID files directly from File Browser?

The short answer is: Unfortunately it doesn't work. Not like you'd want it to work anyway :) (That was one of the reasons to add the builtin player)

The long answer is: that sidplay program (i assume you mean the program by GRG) expects the .sid files on a regular commodore drive, and loads them via kernal calls. So typically, you'd put that program, plus the sid files, on some sort of huge storage device (like a 1581 disk, or a cmd-hd, or perhaps sd2iec). However, such thing does not exist on the chameleon - the menu system accesses the SD card "directly" and, besides that, there are just the two emulated 1541 drives. There is no way for a C64 program to "see" the content of the SD card, except by directly accessing it like the menu system does (and sidplay has no support for this, and probably will never have - it would basically have to support "MMC64").

What would work (but probably is not what you want): copy the sidplay program plus some .sid files into a .d64 and mount/run that .d64 - perhaps it can be an option to make small playlists with ~20 files or so :)