ACE2b for NTSC A500 - 8375 question

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello! My understanding from reading some earlier threads is that the ACE2b comes with a 2MB 8375 nonVbb version installed.

Do all shipped units come with an NTSC 8375? Does this mean the installed Agnus is part number 390544-02 (NTSC variant)? I have an A500 REV 5 NTSC (in USA), any other concerns I need to watch out for? Thanks in advance before I make the purchase.

• with a 2MB 8375 nonVbb version installed.

The "non-Vbb" part is not guaranteed, as we've had two different batches of 8375 Agnus, which can both be used. For the Vbb Agnus, there is an extra capacitor on the product.

Do all shipped units come with an NTSC 8375?

Yes.

Does this mean the installed Agnus is part number 390544-02 (NTSC variant)?

Either that, or 318069-10, which is also NTSC. Functionally, they are equivalent, and you won't see any difference, which is why we don't emphasize "Vbb or not" in the product description. Both chips are full-ECS and start in NTSC, but even switching to PAL is possible just with software.

Jens

• I had trouble logging back in so posting this as guest, I guess.

According to this website the -10 is a PAL Agnus unless it is swapped on the website. I would like to make sure I get an NTSC version as I am in the US and want to keep my 500 as pure to NTSC as I can.

http://theamigamuseum.com/the-hardware/the-ocs-chipset/agnus/

• We don't have any PAL ECS Agnus chips, so you can be absolutely sure that you'll get an NTSC Agnus. If we had PAL chips, I could sell these units for even more money :-)

Jens

• Hello! My understanding from reading some earlier threads is that the ACE2b comes with a 2MB 8375 nonVbb version installed.

Do all shipped units come with an NTSC 8375? Does this mean the installed Agnus is part number 390544-02 (NTSC variant)? I have an A500 REV 5 NTSC (in USA), any other concerns I need to watch out for? Thanks in advance before I make the purchase.

As a note, I've used 2x ACE2b's in NTSC Amiga systems: An A500 and a CDTV (and an Amiga 2000, but that's a slightly different board) and all worked great. Truly one of the easiest and most useful mods you can do. (and as I'm sure you've found, 2MB NTSC Agnus are about impossible to find for purchase... the only ones I've found recently cost more than an ACE2b, which is nuts)

• :)
    • :(
    • ;)
    • :P
    • ^^
    • :D
    • ;(
    • X(
    • :*
    • :|
    • 8o
    • =O
    • <X
    • ||
    • :/
    • :S
    • X/
    • 8)
    • ?(
    • :huh:
    • :rolleyes:
    • :love:
    • 8|
    • :cursing:
    • :thumbdown:
    • :thumbup:
    • :sleeping:
    • :whistling:
    • :evil:
    • :saint:
    • <3
    Marks thread as resolved after post creation.